Crackle map, good or bad?

G8RSH

Winner - POTM April 2018
So, my main question is, I know how bad 'pops & bangs' map is for your engine.. Is the crackle map equally as bad?

Crackle map and pops and bangs is basically the same thing. When having mine done I went and stood with the chap mapping my car in ktec. From what he was showing me and explaining it really isn't that bad on your engine.. Besides it only pops & bangs when you make it do so.. If you go to the limiter and let off and don't touch the pedal there are no pops/bangs/crackles. You have to repeatedly tap the accelerator to make it pop & bang. If you want it, go for it because as I say you choose when it does it and I really don't think it's as bad for the car as people say it is.. I've never had no problems any way!

Crackle map and pops and bangs is basically the same thing. When having mine done I went and stood with the chap mapping my car in ktec. From what he was showing me and explaining it really isn't that bad on your engine.. Besides it only pops & bangs when you make it do so.. If you go to the limiter and let off and don't touch the pedal there are no pops/bangs/crackles. You have to repeatedly tap the accelerator to make it pop & bang. If you want it, go for it because as I say you choose when it does it and I really don't think it's as bad for the car as people say it is.. I've never had no problems any way!

That's the problem with maps like these.. You hear/get told all these horrific stories about valves etc, but how can you believe it? Reading back through old threads there hasn't seemed to be any problems. Just posting up a new one as it's obviously a long time since there has been an updated one!

Does the extra noise piss you off? I know obviously it's mostly when you want it but so so..

Are you fully decatted?
Yes mate.

Bad - I've seen posts on Clio FB page where people needed new engines well running crackle maps
I've only ever heard bad on 1*2's as of yet!

I genuinely don't believe there's any risk. K tec map it in as little or as much as you want. It only does it when I want it to so no extra noise.. Where abouts you from? I'm more than happy to take you out in mine

It's the same as anything with cars.. People just hear something and stick with it. Don't go here because of this, don't go there because of that, don't get that done because it will do this and so on... Very boring and I've found listening to myself more than others pays off.

when seen few posts with ****ed engines that had crackle maps then sort of make own mind up but yeh go for it.

For example - Going back to focus ST tuning days when people were saying don't push engine over 300-310 or else run risk of doing a liner. People ignored the advice including me ... New engine needed fitting

Last edited:
What sort of damage do these maps produce exactly? There was a thread very similar to this on cliosport, lots of naysayers but no-one posting solid information. Then someone piped up with the fact that it was sustained high revs causing valves to drop, not the crackle maps. Not trying to have a go at anyone or anything, but it would be nice to get a little more information on exactly what the problem is.

[MENTION=53102]DS197[/MENTION] the mapper at k tec assured me it won't do the engine damage.. And he wasn't saying that to try make money as the pops&bangs are added in on the map and costs the same price with or without.. They simply wouldn't do it if it caused damage.

I genuinely don't believe there's any risk. K tec map it in as little or as much as you want. It only does it when I want it to so no extra noise.. Where abouts you from? I'm more than happy to take you out in mine

I'm from down in Devon, bit of a trek! I'll be happy to take a passenger ride at a track day though if you're doing any shows this year. I'll chip in of course..

What sort of damage do these maps produce exactly? There was a thread very similar to this on cliosport, lots of naysayers but no-one posting solid information. Then someone piped up with the fact that it was sustained high revs causing valves to drop, not the crackle maps. Not trying to have a go at anyone or anything, but it would be nice to get a little more information on exactly what the problem is.
+1

From what I have read it was a few (if not one) engine issue where it was said the pops and bangs map was the problem. Hardly conclusive. I would say make your own mind up.

After having full service and cam belts done I am looking at having ktec to remap my cup, main reason to get rid of flat spot as very noticeable in these months and also does it on very very steep hills ( I live on Isle of Wight) I have not done any thing to exhaust after having the Evo 6 for three years with nur spec r system so nice have quite, I am thinkin aka Evo system but not made u my mind, the videos I have seen on YouTube does sound nice on full chat... Not sure if u class that as crackle??

It's the same as anything with cars.. People just hear something and stick with it. Don't go here because of this, don't go there because of that, don't get that done because it will do this and so on... Very boring and I've found listening to myself more than others pays off.

Same with garage recommendations mate. If it fits with the 'clique' then you are ok, otherwise not. I have no experience or qualifications with which to comment on crackle maps.

Last edited:
i had the crackle map on my 197 which had a milltek decat and was fine, sold it at 114,000 miles with no issue.