cost of megane conversion

I'm changing to the Meg box as the TL4 box has not got enough space to run a further uprated clutch.

I'm happy with power and torque as the car is still very driveable :smile: -Paul from RS Tuning did a top job with the mapping

-Andy

I paid £600 for 250 engine and box with 6k on it. Cheap because at the time most 250's were new enough that if their engine went, it was still covered under warranty. Equally most said it wouldn't fit in a Clio....

Regarding the box, the question I asked myself is why aren't Meg owners using Clio boxes in their cars? There's not one car I've read about (I might stand corrected) on MS that's fitted one because of the better ratio's, including the track boys......

Last edited:
Regarding the box, the question I asked myself is why aren't Meg owners using Clio boxes in their cars? There's not one car I've read about (I might stand corrected) on MS that's fitted one because of the better ratio's, including the track boys......

There's a few reasons that are driving me to changing:
-The Clio box suits the road, nice and snappy through the gears, but on a track and especially with a pit of power 145mph on the limiter with a meg engine its just not quick enough.
-The bell housing isn't deep enough for the meg clutch so you are restricted to run a uprated clio item.
-The clio box really needs a diff with anything over 250lb to make good use of it, where as the later meg ones have one as standard.

-The Clio box suits the road, nice and snappy through the gears, but on a track and especially with a pit of power 145mph on the limiter with a meg engine its just not quick enough.
-The bell housing isn't deep enough for the meg clutch so you are restricted to run a uprated clio item.
-The clio box really needs a diff with anything over 250lb to make good use of it, where as the later meg ones have one as standard.

I think it's down to preference then, I've gone down the route of sticking a £700 quaife diff in my 200 box which is roughly the same as spending £800 on an R26 box with the diff in.

Mine will get used on the roads, with some track days. Other than the large international circuits- silverstone, spa etc I don't know of any uk tracks where you would exceed 145mph?

I've don't track days in my exige s and never done more than 140mph, and I can't see my clio being as quick

don't forget in the long term.. the megane box has bigger better bearings and can handle the torque loadings more...very rare you hear of a magane
box breaking....

don't forget in the long term.. the megane box has bigger better bearings and can handle the torque loadings more...very rare you hear of a magane
box breaking....

I've replaced all the bearings and syncros as a precaution, even though the box only has 24k on it, not that expensive or hard to do - if necessary i will replace them again

But then again, I've never had a car for long than 18months lol

I've replaced all the bearings and syncros as a precaution, even though the box only has 24k on it, not that expensive or hard to do - if necessary i will replace them again

But then again, I've never had a car for long than 18months lol

a 197 box I assume?

what was the cost of the bits?

No it's a 200 box from my 2010 200.

I can't remember exactly but for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th synchro and all bearings- £170

Took just over an hour to fit

not bad at all cost wise!

got a spare box as well so will keep it in mind for any future failures...