Converting 197 dials

I pulled one of the spare dials apart today, and it seems my soldering equipment is enough to do all the surface mount leds, even the really titchy ones.

To show you what we are dealing with here, the LARGEST led is on the left, and the tiny one is on the right..

7136576287_b4603d7554_c.jpg

I couldn't quite believe it myself until I saw them!

I dont know the part number for those tiny ones so will have to order in a few and guess!

Hey how did u manage to get any small one back on. 0603 are what my mate sent me. I burnt the joints so gave up.

Gave my mate his kit back. Could have borrowed yrs yr only down the road. ;-)

No cant get two. Its the white plastic that is the issue as light is shared. Will opt for a white smd behind the red and split the lighting to funnel the blue to the 7 and white through the 8.

Ive asked my cousin who lives there to have another chat and see if he can peruade for a 10 units run. I could knock on lockwood door too i guess.

Looks even smaller next to a credit card lol

Last edited:
Dials can also be done in white.. Not seen the meg. Would be easy with the rev and you will not lose the km speed reading as blue does.not show red well.

Hey how did u manage to get any small one back on. 0603 are what my mate sent me. I burnt the joints so gave up.
0603 are the largest ones on the board arent they? I could find 3 different sizes.

The large ones are a piece of piss compard to the smallest one. Strangely, the medium sized ones caused me the most grief, but yeah I managed to get them off and back on. Admittedly too more than 20 mins...
Gave my mate his kit back. Could have borrowed yrs yr only down the road. ;-)

No cant get two. Its the white plastic that is the issue as light is shared. Will opt for a white smd behind the red and split the lighting to funnel the blue to the 7 and white through the 8.

Ive asked my cousin who lives there to have another chat and see if he can peruade for a 10 units run. I could knock on lockwood door too i guess.

Looks even smaller next to a credit card lol

Really? Where are you?

My kit isnt special, just low wattage fine point soldering iron and some good fine point curved tweezers.

I came to the same conclusion about the 7/8 split too (and that can be dead easy with some foam or something behind the backing to stop the light polution)

Didn't even start on the gear change beep yet. I'm going to get the dials plugged into my car at the weekend and run a scope on them to see what triggers the beep on the 200 clocks and then make a decision. I'm hoping it wont be a total hack / bodge but hey, live dangerously! :tongueout:anic:

You could find yerself making a small fortune if you offered this mod to the rest of the forum Mike.

You could find yerself making a small fortune if you offered this mod to the rest of the forum Mike.

Fingers crossed I can get it done.

Problem is the turnaround. I can't just send one out as the clocks will be wrong but I may be able to just swap the board that has the beep mod on without affecting mileage.

You could always do a double swap - ship out loan unit and modded unit swapped back with loan unit.

Car start/drives without it. If it was special delivery 9am a same day turn around would not be so bad and most people have satnav/phone that can give out GPS speed. Just dont get pulled.

Or you could invest in a mileage correction tool ;-) and ship out the modded unit straight away and get exchange after :smile:

PS one thing, when you took the needles off, did you note where they rest on the stop position.. they rest just below the 0's on the counters

Last edited: