Considering Clio 200 Cup

Hello guys,

E36 M3 owner here, I'm going to be selling my car in Jan/Feb and I'm looking at a Brand New Clio RS200 Cup.

I'm just wondering what the running costs are like?

I'm guessing reliability isn't like Renaults of old?

Do the 200's still suffer from the cold start problem like the 197's do?

What's the real MPG like around town?

I've heard the F4R loosens up over time?

Mods wise I'm just going to replace the panel filter, would you recommend a K-tec or ITG? I may also replace the brakes, with DS2500s, but only once they need doing - is there anything else to watch out for, any other simply mods you'd recommend that make a noticeable difference but wouldn't be too hard to reverse if it needed to go back into Renault.

I'm looking forward to a chuckable small car with good brakes, my M3 is heavily modified, a genuine 170mph machine, but the Maf-less Alpha-N management and CSL style airbox setup I run returns 15mpg average.

Cheers guys,

Mitch

Hi mate, im expecting my own Clio is a similarish predicament.

I dont think the build quality is as bad as old Renaults, in fact i have been pleasantly suprised by the build quality to what i was expecting. You will see a big difference going from the Beemer though. Im going from a Volvo which is in comparison, built like a cruise ship :smiley: and struggles to get past 25mpg on a motorway run lol (nothing to do with me having it remapped of course :tongueout: )

I was lucky enough to speak to a current owner when i was ordering mine and he said he could get 35mpg when driving normally! Which was also confirmed by his trip computer :smile:

The engine should loosen up nice too, the ones ive test drove were a little tight and it is noticable. However ive been in a 172 (earpls) with some millage on it, and that just screams to the red line! So without doubt, put 15k on the new ones and it should start to loosen up nicely :smile:

The Brembos are amazing, coupled with the Recaros, i almost managed to get the salesman to headbutt the back of the seat in a test drive :smiley:

They are massively chuck able, incredibly fun cars to drive!

Hey mate,

I cant agree more with what Jaxx has already told you, they are great little cars and You will def get more than 15mpg! Its normally around 28-30 for general driving if you have some fun with it along the way!

Yeah they are reliable cars - I had the problem from cold starts but it has been fixed and now it isn't noticeable. I also dont think that this is a problem on the 200. The interior is pretty nice if you havent been in one. Im not too sure on the E numbers but I think the E36 is the model before last (correct me if im wrong), I think you should like it, especially if you get the recaros, which are suprisingly comfortable - the seat wear problem is supposedly fixed for the 200 but too early to tell.

Mods wise I cant really comment as my car is completely stock, but I will be ordering an ITG filter,as I have heard good things about them.

Hope that it helps and you get one!

The E36 is the 1993-1999 shape.

I fancied the recaros, but after the wear stories I thought I'd rather keep my £850. However you say they fixed it on the 200? hmm... tempting

What about the steering rack issues on 197 - I know the 200 has electric steering not hydralic, is that issue still apparent?

I want Alien green, but £1200 for a paintjob, they can pi55 off, I'll probably go with white and some decals and black wheels.

The E36 is the 1993-1999 shape.

I fancied the recaros, but after the wear stories I thought I'd rather keep my £850. However you say they fixed it on the 200? hmm... tempting

What about the steering rack issues on 197 - I know the 200 has electric steering not hydralic, is that issue still apparent?

I want Alien green, but £1200 for a paintjob, they can pi55 off, I'll probably go with white and some decals and black wheels.

Lol thats the shape I meant!

As i say they have supposedly been fixed. They have change the material that is being used which should then sort the problem out but it is too early to tell if it has worked unfortunately.

TBH I can safely say I havent experienced any steering rack issues and I dont think I have heard of any either, so not sure on that one...

the alien green is a bit of a nothing colour to me, I think if it had been metallic like the Focus RS it would have been a lot better, but it isn't - so its not brilliant. As Rocky has proved they do look good in white and i dont think you can go far wrong with what you do to it - blank canvas so to speak!

i have a 197 and my everyday driving i get around 24mpg, and motorway i get around 34mpg. the cold start isnt really and issue, some peoples kangaroo, but mine doesnt, just takes a couple of mins b4 u can put your foot down. mines done 24k miles now and it runs better than it ever had. and i too shall be purchasing and itg air filter in the new year as i heard theyre the best! hope some of that info helps!! tbh i do like the alien green, its nice, but not £1200 nice!! personally id go for the black with anthracite pack or the white with black wheels. yum yum!!

Thanks for all the info guys, you've all been very helpful. It's a nice forum you guys have here, a little quieter than the BMW one, but that's probably a good thing, helps you get to the point. Obviously this purchase is a few months away, but I feel so strongly about it, and I like to get plenty of information before I purchase.

If there's anything else you feel I need to know, feel free to pipe up.

Cheers guys,

Mitch

EDIT - Days like today make me wish I had the Clio now - 320bhp and 260lbft of RWD mentalness in the snow makes for one hell of a commute.

Last edited: