Computer says no!

Matt197

South West Rep
How strange is this, went to get in the car early and the hands free system was not unlocking the car so tried the key fob and it was not responding to that either.

Went inside got spare key and still nothing, manually opened the car with emergency key, unlocked the car then locked it again and it did the same.

Once I got the car unlocked again I tried starting the car and it was not detecting the card, so put it in the slot and the car started, turned the engine off locked the car and its all worked fine again.

Talk about a case of computers says no.

I bet that next time you go out to your car you will have the same problem. I had this once, replaced the battery in the key card and all has been fine since. Spare probably didn't work as the battery was also dead

two batterys in the card, a replaceable one (central locking buttons) and a rechargeable one that charges off the slot (keyless entry and start) normally after a few years of people not using the slot they have trouble with the car not detecting the key and not starting, once started and start putting the card in the slot for a fair amount of hours driving, theyve had no problem since, hopes this helps.

two batterys in the card, a replaceable one (central locking buttons) and a rechargeable one that charges off the slot (keyless entry and start) normally after a few years of people not using the slot they have trouble with the car not detecting the key and not starting, once started and start putting the card in the slot for a fair amount of hours driving, theyve had no problem since, hopes this helps.

This is what I thought but keeping the card in the slot didn't solve the problem. Stuck a new battery in and been working perfectly since then

They don't have a rechargeable battery mate it's obvious cus there are no terminals on battery
Glad it's sorted

They charge through induction(?), BMW keys have been the same for years, since around 98 with the introduction of the E39 iirc. You can even get induction chargers for phones, iPods, etc. where you just sit them on a pad.

the last time this was brought up, someone posted a picture of a card with out the covers on and there is a second battery and plus a renault technician told jase a while back.

That's interesting, did not know that.

And you were right, it did it again today but the spare key card unlocked the car this time.

Will get some new ones.