Clutch release

NickD

Paid Member
Guys,

I expect I know what the answer is going to be, but thought I would ask.

The clutch in my car engages very early, so the pedal is hardly moved off the floor. On track the other day it became more difficult to change gear.

So, from my knowledge of hydraulic clutches in general, it would suggest that the clutch is not being released effectively and that worsening when hot is typical of a save cylinder either needing bleeding or knackered.

I have bled the clutch, the fluid was very black, but it has now been done.
There does not seem to be a big puddle of oil or anything escaping from the bell housing to suggest any great leak and the disengagement / drag seems pretty consistent, suggesting there is not an ongoing dynamic leak.

It it therefore possible to adjust the clutch at the clutch pedal and is that part of the set up?

Let me revise that, what is the likely cause of this? Everything would suggest the thrust bearing is not being moved out far enough. Can this be adjusted without having to take the box out?

The only other info is when I did bleed it, while I thought I had reengaged the bleed union, I assume it did not latch and so on first operation it popped open and was leaking fluid all over the floor. The parts did not separate. Could this have allowed air back in? I haven't tried pumping it to see if it makes it any better as the car is at work.

I have the same issue exactly.

Sometimes blocks me changing gear and makes this hideous grinding noise trying to get into the new gear. Obviously really embarrassing when you're giving it beans off a light only to have the car lurch forward from the sudden loss of power and the horrible noise...

Watching closely for any potential fixes...

i would re-bleed the system

the master cylinder have been known to also cause issues & iirc there is no adjustments that can be made other than the system is free of air and getting full stroke