Clutch Life

Rishi

Platinum Member
clutch life is totally dependant on driver technique/useage ;/

I just read this quote by foxspeed & was previously thinking of making a thread about this very subject...

Whats some good tips for looking after your clutch/gearbox?
The main one i can think of is use either of your brakes when idling on a hill/waiting for lights to change, don't use the biting point!

Also to try & not change down too much, like if your doing 70mph in 6th and suddenly want more power, don't change down into 4th, or don't do it too much... im open to criticism on this though as i do love changing down. When changing down for a corner i'll usually select 3rd over 2nd, just to avoid the judder...

To keep my driving judder free i usually bring the clutch up nice & slow, getting back on the power in the same fashion, unless im driving quite fast in high gears, then it can be lifted a lot faster

Should be an interesting thread!

Last edited:
Would have to agree about the not holding it on the biting point, I don't think the clutch should ever be used to stop the car from rolling back, only ever to change gear and when driving off. That's what the handbrake is for. It makes it so much easier when driving too, and doesn't make your leg ache if you are doing it in traffic etc.

Clutches are there to be used though, and at the end of the day, they will all come to a point, if the car gets to that age, where they will need replacing. So I guess the driver will just have the cost of replacing if they abuse it loads!

The main one i can think of is use either of your brakes when idling on a hill/waiting for lights to change, don't use the biting point!

I can't understand why anyone would do this anyway, I know they do but the clutch in the clio seems to get hot fast (you can smell it) so this kind of foolery is just asking for it to die.

Also to try & not change down too much, like if your doing 70mph in 6th and suddenly want more power, don't change down into 4th, or don't do it too much... im open to criticism on this though as i do love changing down. When changing down for a corner i'll usually select 3rd over 2nd, just to avoid the judder...

Do you blip the throttle on downshifts? this makes down shifts very smooth, I do it pretty much all the time now as it's better than dragging the clutch through a change and I'd of thought it's kinder to the box.

To keep my driving judder free i usually bring the clutch up nice & slow, getting back on the power in the same fashion, unless im driving quite fast in high gears, then it can be lifted a lot faster

Again trying to match the revs would prevent this I would of thought.

I tried and blip the throttle where I can. When we went to Wales last time, I was experimenting with heal and toe. A couple of times at the begging I was leaving accelerater on a bit too long and I had drive and brakes at the same time, but after a bit more pratice, I don't think I was doing too bad a job.

for me i try not to slip the clutch excessively when driving or whenever stationary etc

i also dont sit with it in gear at the lights and the clutch in - its in neutral and with the handbrake on

for me i try not to slip the clutch excessively when driving or whenever stationary etc

i also dont sit with it in gear at the lights and the clutch in - its in neutral and with the handbrake on
thats what i do and try to get the wife to do:thumbup1:

Do you blip the throttle on downshifts? this makes down shifts very smooth, I do it pretty much all the time now as it's better than dragging the clutch through a change and I'd of thought it's kinder to the box.

How do you 'blip' the throttle? Let the revs drop a bit then get back on the power? :confused1:

I'll try putting it in neutral at lights but i just use footbrake, handbrakes too long

How do you 'blip' the throttle? Let the revs drop a bit then get back on the power? :confused1:

Tiny bit of throttle when bring the clutch in after a down-shift. Sounds quite good too :wink:

TBH if it is anything like me you will do too little or WAY too much for the first few attempts. ;/