Clio 4 Rs - Mapping!

Appologies got my torque fig mixed with their power:

998561_577942448895192_835430613_n.jpg

with panel filter..

How does the gearbox limit torque? Is this the mechanical limit of the Getrag gearbox (as in, it breaks if you shove more torque through it) or, is it a clever electronic torque sensing widget that talks to the ecu and throws a paddy if you endanger the gearbox?

Also, in terms of horsepower limit, is this more a question of heat buildup in the gearbox? Could the gearbox oil be cooled or something?

- presently sat by a pool in Florida - just thought I'd say that.

Would have looked far better with silver graphics to match the splitter and diffuser

Mind you it's designed to get your attention so it's doing it's job I guess

How does the gearbox limit torque? Is this the mechanical limit of the Getrag gearbox (as in, it breaks if you shove more torque through it) or, is it a clever electronic torque sensing widget that talks to the ecu and throws a paddy if you endanger the gearbox?

Also, in terms of horsepower limit, is this more a question of heat buildup in the gearbox? Could the gearbox oil be cooled or something?

- presently sat by a pool in Florida - just thought I'd say that.

the limiting factor in the gearbox will be gear/teeth strength and bearing capacity and also the actual torque loading the clutches can handle..

heat will only be a factor I would say when its doing launch control

like a lot of items in modern cars they are built to take a certain limit/life/cost and these days very good at doing it - its only as strong as its weakest component!

Last edited:
the limiting factor in the gearbox will be gear/teeth strength and bearing capacity and also the actual torque loading the clutches can handle..

heat will only be a factor I would say when its doing launch control

like a lot of items in modern cars they are built to take a certain limit/life/cost and these days very good at doing it - its only as strong as its weakest component!

I guess we'll find out its limits soon enough. I realise teeth/bearings etc have limits, but wondered if in this case the 'box was electronically protected in some way. Roll on bigger turbos and rude power figures.

I guess we'll find out its limits soon enough. I realise teeth/bearings etc have limits, but wondered if in this case the 'box was electronically protected in some way....

it well could be - hopefully as more get out there we will find out

I wonder who'll be the first customer to test it out? There will be no used/reconditioned boxes out there so if the box goes after you've remapped it I reckon the repair bill will be mahoosive.

I reckon 250bhp and similar torque should be safe. don't know anything over that until more people have came up with modified stronger parts.

After talking to one of the Renault guys at Goodwood in July he seemed to think the gearbox would be at its limit at about 250bhp....we'll know soon enough when one goes pop I suppose.

It's a shame Renault/Getrag don't use the same logic as BMW. The gearbox in an e36 325 is apparently good for 800 bhp, same goes for most of the BMW gearboxes. It's like, to BMW, it is totally unthinkable to have lots of gearbox failures. Renault are like, meh, we might get a few back...

It's a shame Renault/Getrag don't use the same logic as BMW. The gearbox in an e36 325 is apparently good for 800 bhp, same goes for most of the BMW gearboxes. It's like, to BMW, it is totally unthinkable to have lots of gearbox failures. Renault are like, meh, we might get a few back...

most bmw gearboxes will be sourced from other suppliers and therefore they are using ones that will fit from a low powered motor all the way to a high powered one - one fits all in some ways - a bit like their new modular engines

As long as you don't tramp it, there should be no reason why you couldn't run double the design torque. The min margin of safety for torque handling should be atleast 2, its impulse loading that usually knackers a box