Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Clio 200 Area' started by Pipp, Jun 20, 2018.
its a mls head gasket...once torqued down its not re-usable...bin it
One of the Joy's of living at the bottom of Africa is an import takes 3 weeks...
Looks like I cannot catch a break * sigh*
But thanks , I'll make sure its replaced !
Also thought maybe a core plug .
Im sure you are all as tired of reading about this as I am of dealing with it.
So further information has come my way and they say the engine bearings are also damaged.
They were suuposed to have done a compression test yesterday to find out about the water leak....i dont know what the outcome of that was , but i asked them if I have to wait another 3 weeks because they would need to replace the head gasket again. they said that they diddnt torque down the head fully so wouldnt need to replace the gasket....so I told them they are full of crap.
am I right in saying that ? how can they do a compression test if the havent torqued down the head ?
My conclusion is that this car is effed....
let me know your thoughts.
Sounds like nonsense to me !! It had a water leak because they hadn't torqued the head !!The bearings are something completely different ? That's oil pressure related most lightly .
Only way to build these motors is replacing a lot of stuff while you are in there and it get's expensive .
what im trying to establish is if I should let them continue with the repair and take a car back in the next couple of weeks that has had extensive work and potentially very problematic or if I should tell them to stick it.
I am still within my rights to get a refund on the purchase....
Does sound like it has been abused . May I ask what you paid ? They are only going to do a patch job , I mean it is a dealer we are talking about .
If you really like the car I would negotiate a big discount and then get someone else to build the motor properly . That , is going to cost a minimum of R30K in parts . Depending on how far you want to go . I priced the basic parts from Renault and it was way over R20K for not much . You could bring them in from the Uk , but there is shipping , duty and vat .
Other option is get your money back and keep looking . There is a white 20th anniversary down here with just over 100000km on it for R130k .
I’d be getting your money back! What they’ve said makes no sense, now that may be down to service advisors who don’t completely know what’s going off... and pass on a little mis information, but tbh it sounds like they are guessing and don’t really know what they are doing overall
I paid 110k for it....2010 with 82000km on the clock. I have since then put in an additional 30k on various mechanical items - 90k service, o2 sensor, fuel pump, rear brake pads . Non mechanical is new tyres and roof wrap.
I think I might just push for the refund.
Another option would be to get a discount and ask for a 2 or 3 year guarantee on the workmanship and parts. (Currently only a 6 month guarantee)
All the current repair costs are at the dealers expense but they are not filling me with confidence
You won’t get the 30k back I reckon so it may be worth keeping it at that, that’s an awkward one, the extra warranty sounds good... but ask yourself if it went again would you want it back realistically?
So it's been quite a week of fighting and frustration.
This is the last update from the mechanic,
"As suspected the block had to be skimmed and the main and big end bearings replaced with new bearings as suggested by...."
What would cause these bearings to go ? Loss of oil ?
what was the crank like - did they check/measure it? also the rods - any shells spun - if they did the rods are potentially scrap!
block skimmed!!!! crikey what was wrong with it for that to be done - not sure if theres enough metal for the block to be skimmed - one thing the c/r will be a good one
ask them to keep all the old parts - that way you can see how bad they are
I’d be binning the car off and getting my money back and offering them a day in court for the costs incurred as it’s not your fault the car needs a new engine, tbh I’d be insisting on a new engine with all the stuff that’s up... only way I’d keep it being honest
Ya , I have proposed a fairly mutual conclusion. Ie. I'll buy a new car from the dealer with the money I've already put in as a deposit....or I'm going to go into a legal dispute with them...
It's a shitty thing any way I look at it but hopefully it gets sorted out quickly and positively.
So frustrating and tiring.
Thank though...I'll let you all know the result
At least if you can find another Clio you like you can have your tyres etc swapped over