Clio 200 upgrade up to £7500?

Hey guys,

Just got rid of my 2011 ff 200 and now want to get something slightly faster, comfier and better for the odd motorway journey.

My budget is around 7500 tops. It'll be my daily for at least the next 18months.

So far the safe bet is a Megane R26 but what else is out there that is fun, ideally boosted and handles super well? The 200 really had that covered but needed to be thrashed to get it moving.

Fuel economy similar to a 200 is fine.

Don't mind rwd or 4wd.

Any sensible suggestions appreciated.

Megs are a good shout!

You could get a boosted 182 for that also - depends how old you would like it too be.

The mazda mps are supposed to be pretty quick!

Megane. Absolutely no contest at that price point!

You're asking here most likely because you've looked at the options and nothing else is hitting the nail on the head.

I've been looking around this price range for my brother recently and there's really not much else that's as good. Problem is, at that price range there's not many Megs available so you either go a bit lower and throw the rest at it in love or go higher and get something possibly slightly leggy from the newer model.

And with you wanting a turbo car, it's even more pushing you that way. Really what are the options? Something Japanese and that's it. Finding a decent one of those could be a whole world of pain.

You're clearly a Renaultsport guy and there's not much else you could move on to unless you're spending a lot more.

If it was me, I'd hold out for the very best R26 I could find and lavish it with expensive parts :smiley:

Yeah I thought that too - but he wants something that handles well. That thing corners like a barge!!
As standard I agree but they can be improved greatly and there's plenty of parts available

I was also going to suggest a MK1 Focus RS but £7.5k will only buy a high mileage example one. But if you can find a well looked after mildly modified (300bhp approx) it would be a very good choice. A much underrated car.

Reactions: Chris
As standard I agree but they can be improved greatly and there's plenty of parts available

I was also going to suggest a MK1 Focus RS but £7.5k will only buy a high mileage example one. But if you can find a well looked after mildly modified (300bhp approx) it would be a very good choice. A much underrated car.

Fair enough - don't know too much about them, that's just there reputation.

Once had a bit of a yobbo in an orange one Glued to my bumper until we hit some corners, funny watching him squirm in the rear view mirror..

Reactions: ///M and Big Ben
Fair enough - don't know too much about them, that's just there reputation.

Once had a bit of a yobbo in an orange one Glued to my bumper until we hit some corners, funny watching him squirm in the rear view mirror..
Think the colour is called Tangerine Scream!!
Nuff said...

Reactions: Chris
Similar boat myself, I've got plans to sell my 197 sometime this year and probably looking to replace with circa ~£8K. I'm finding there's not much really grabbing my attention...I don't want something older than the Clio (2008), and looking for something with at least 200bhp. Meg250 is top of my list, but as it's already been mentioned they're unavailable really at that price point just yet. Would also like comparable or better fuel economy and would like to avoid the £500 tax bracket.

Basically I need to wait another couple of years until the new era of smaller engine turbos drop in price, but I'm not sure I want to hold onto the 197 that long

Reactions: hsustyle
A lot of my Friends have Focus Sts. Some pretty rapid but they remind me of that Vauxhall Vxr, understeery.
Not looking to spend more or mods really. Pretty much leaning towards the R26 now, not sure what else feels as capable at that price?

Cheers for all the replies!

A little reading when i bought my Clio - pointed to the fact these might be the only cars more problematic / costly when things do go wrong - than a 197 / 200 ! ?

A bit of googling confirms this - funny had no idea.. my parents have had two coopers s' to date (infact funnily enough changed car today to a golf) with no issue apart from the first one using a lot of oil. But blimey some horror stories there.

Golf GTI or GTD if it's daily and motorway. I had a GTD as a company car for about 4-5 months having never driven a Golf before and have to say I was seriously impressed. I took it just because I needed a car for a bit and it was the best in the pool at the time. You could thrash it and still return 40mpg, the DSG box is very good for fun and normal driving, if it has the leather, nav etc it's a really nice cockpit to sit in.

If I was looking for a sensible but still entertaining car to drive the GTD would be where my money went.