Clio 197 Ultra Red 2007 from Finland. April, time to start driving.

I know Motul and ate racing fluids, but as i said my driving is not racing 98% of the time, 5.1 will be just fine.
Maybe next time i change brake fluids i use Motul Dot 4 which you recommended.
Dot 5.1 cold properties are better than Dot4 fluid, and as ESP works with brakes it would be better when we have -30celsius. Most cars use DOT 5.1 here .

I know Motul and ate racing fluids, but as i said my driving is not racing 98% of the time, 5.1 will be just fine.
Maybe next time i change brake fluids i use Motul Dot 4 which you recommended.
Dot 5.1 cold properties are better than Dot4 fluid, and as ESP works with brakes it would be better when we have -30celsius. Most cars use DOT 5.1 here .
Well in cold condition it might be better, tbh idk i never check for extreme cold conditions because my country is pretty hot most of the year lol .
In that case maybe you should stick with that fluid.(which im still thinking if the rbf has better boiling points it may also have better cold specs)

Last edited:
I wake up early in the morning, so.. clean time 06:30 in the morning
Those front grills are so grey.. should i paint those with rattle satin black?
Another option is some plastic treatment like autoglym bumper care, but it will be temporary fix.

big.jpg

big.jpg

big.jpg

I did mine with a rattle can Antti and was really pleased with the results.

I'd tried various detailing products first but nothing stayed black for long.

I agree with Ben, spraying them is the best option, and very easy to do too. I used this product and was very happy with the results. The grilles needed a primer coating on too. The finish is great and still look good after ~18 months or so. Much better than treating them with products.

The car looks excellent Antti!

You can also get Satin / semi-matt lacquer. So you could paint and still have a protective covering over the paint...........

Okay many thanks for your tips.. so maybe my shopping list:

1. Abrasive pads
2. Plastic primer
3. Pre-paint degreaser
4. Satin black (same stuff what Ed China uses for everything lol..)

Lets hope those will be as new when painted.

Last edited:
Reactions: sevenfourate

Just LOL at that one.

My friend was on the road the other day and saw a MASSIVE sign for 'Ed China's' garage ! [Random, pointless factoid of the day] :smile:

Reactions: Jimmy

1. Abrasive pads
2. Plastic primer
3. Pre-paint degreaser

Lets hope those will be as new when painted.
Spot on. That's all I used to spray my front grilles. I used a grey scotchbrite pad as the grilles were coated with Gtechniq C4 a few weeks before. Be sure not to use too much pressure though as you will smooth off the "dimples".

Kind of failure today.
I bought all nice rattle cans and necessary stuff for painting grills.
I removed top front bumper bolts and saw how grilles are attached in bumper. Unfortunately after 1hour of try and error grilles are still in bumper. Those were like welded and so tight, cannot remove when bumper is in place. Maybe i try again when i next time remove front bumper. Problem is i felt bottom and top fixings, but even i try to bend those plastic clips with my fingers or screwdriver there was no any result. Painting would be good idea, but i would say those are NOT so easy to remove as how to says.

Kind of failure today.
I bought all nice rattle cans and necessary stuff for painting grills.
I removed top front bumper bolts and saw how grilles are attached in bumper. Unfortunately after 1hour of try and error grilles are still in bumper. Those were like welded and so tight, cannot remove when bumper is in place. Maybe i try again when i next time remove front bumper. Problem is i felt bottom and top fixings, but even i try to bend those plastic clips with my fingers or screwdriver there was no any result. Painting would be good idea, but i would say those are NOT so easy to remove as how to says.

@Big Ben ? You've had yours off recently ?

hope you manage to get them off..then it is a piece of cake..:thumb:
also cleaning your car at 6:30 in the morning??

hope you manage to get them off..then it is a piece of cake..:thumb:
also cleaning your car at 6:30 in the morning??

Maybe i just paint those when bumper is off later this year..
Yep, i wake up between 5-6 in the morning every day, including weekends. Nice silent time in our garage to go for a wash :smile:

Yep. I was told to "put as many fingers in as possible and pull". Mine came away with not much effort. Iirc the bottom of grille comes away first. Definitely no need to remove bumper.
Wonder if @Antti O has something slightly different?

It was really tight, and even i pulled bottom clips those just flex but not releasing anything.

Reactions: Pav
That's strange about the grilles not coming out. From what I remember, they are in tight and it does feel like you're going to break something, but they're sturdy enough to stay intact!

What @Jimmy said, they need a fair bit of force to come out. I recall pulling them up and out as though they were hinged at the top if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Jimmy
I already broke one fixing in top part because i tried those first off..(top clips)
I have to consider if i give second try for this, it is really difficult position to work in my opinion.

Much comfortable remove grills when bumper is off. IMHO bumper is so easy job to take off maybe i just wait for that. I plan to drop bumper off next time my car is garaged some weeks later this year.
I hope this will be last winter to drive with Clio 197, for next winter i have to buy another car. I consider VW Jetta MK5 2007 1.9TDI. Economical and quite reliable? Another car gives me possibility to keep Clio in warm garage next winter and do some maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny 99
From what I remember, they are in tight and it does feel like you're going to break something, but they're sturdy enough to stay intact!

Which goes completely against the grain for most things Renault. Or most things car related and French infact.

Normally you give something that feels reasonably substantial a gentle tug and it breaks into multiple parts before your eyes.

I find this usually occurs on a Sunday afternoon when everywhere is shut and replacement parts aren't available :smile:

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Jimmy