Clio 197 Ultra Red 2007 from Finland. April, time to start driving.

Yep, i agree.. no more wax for me.
Coating should last many years, and even longer because i dont drive in winter.

Car now in jack stands and wheels off. I am lucky to have garage where i have drain under car.
I borrowed long hose rail, and washed wheel wells with bio solvant + brush & hot water.

Now car is waiting front calibers from UK.
I bought red refurbhished Brembos for this car. I bought red, because those are painted and easy to keep clean compared silver ones which are basically in bare aluminium.
I bought calibers from @renaultpartsdirect , thanks again Paul for quick deal and instant delivery.
Also there is one parcel coming from Czech, it is little surprise..

20171011_173433.jpg\big

20171011_173804.jpg\big

20171011_173526.jpg\big

20171011_173843.jpg\big

20171011_173915.jpg\big

Reactions: Big Ben
Rear brake project started
Rear disc shields are quite rusty, i have to take those off and get parts mediumblasted. There is 3 rivets, i drill those out?

big.jpg

Thanks Chris, much comfortable to work with brakes when i have clean arches ..

Tomorrow brake shields and rear caliber carriers will go for medium blasting.
20171016_191029.jpg\medium

And new cover for clio
20171016_192427.jpg\medium

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197
Looks good, but I'd be worried about that copper spray getting into the wheel bolt thread. Did you mask them off or clean them up after?

Looks good, but I'd be worried about that copper spray getting into the wheel bolt thread. Did you mask them off or clean them up after?

What is wrong with metal bolts and metal hub + copper paste?
I know many mechanics here who is using copper paste in wheel bolts.

Should never lubricate wheel bolts, unless manufacturer recommends it (which most don't). Wheel bolt torque is calculated on dry and dirt free wheel nuts/bolts.

Do a google search and make your own mind up, but I know someone who lost a wheel bolt at Cadwell and he'd just copper greased his wheel bolts. May be different in Finland due to temperature and climate, but I'd be surprised if it is.

Reactions: peter
Okay, never heard about that. We have such difficult winter and weather, wheel bolts usually rust stuck. Little bit copper grease helps remove bolts.

I've always used copper grease on wheel nuts not a problem but if you get wheels repainted and the bottom of the bolt holes have fresh paint between the bolt face and wheel it acts as a lubricant and the bolt can come loose happens a lot in the world of rallying. More likely failures are using spacers with not long enough bolts or to loose a wheel without breaking any of the 5 bolts are more likely to poor tightening or "too long new" hubs or bolts. You only need a single stripe along the length of the threads and on the contact face of the alloy to the hub or you will need the beat the wheel off on the rear and if it drops down it will damage/kink the rear rigid brake pipe .
upload_2017-10-17_19-3-30.png
Don't try to bend it straight it will break. They are about £26 to replace but thank god they are a common Clio with rear discs part and not unique to the RS Clio.

Good man new Brembos are the way to go by the time you painted them and new seal kit plus time without the car and sell the old ones they don't cost that much. Watch the amount of sets for sale on the forum after this.

Ive just read this from page 1 and wha a fantastic thread, superb attention to detail and love how you've kept the car original and refreshed many components.

@turkie172
No i never had any problems with stuck wheel in my clio´s. I will be careful with rear brake pipes.
New calibers was good deal, i also have potential buyer for old silver calibers.

Today i try swap calibers, lets see how much mess i will make with brake fluid. I cannot press brake pedal down because rear brakes are not in place.

I bought new pins from @mrpink , i will assemble new calibers & pads with new pins. Pins are still in delivery, maybe i have to wait some days.

@Adam93
Thanks
I think these clios are so special cars i try to keep in tip top condition.

Carlos Fandango ! They look the bees-knees Antti.

I'm with you: Expensive job, removing, getting professionally powder-coated, new seals etc etc into what is still a second-hand set of calipers - and almost as cheap (Or Cheaper in some circumstances) buying new and guaranteeing they will be as good as you can get performance wise.

Because looks aside (If you can !) THAT'S primary isnt it.........

Carlos Fandango ! They look the bees-knees Antti.

I'm with you: Expensive job, removing, getting professionally powder-coated, new seals etc etc into what is still a second-hand set of calipers - and almost as cheap (Or Cheaper in some circumstances) buying new and guaranteeing they will be as good as you can get performance wise.

Because looks aside (If you can !) THAT'S primary isnt it.........

I agree, this was super easy solution.
Caliber swap took only 1 hour. New pins from @mrpink are great. So easy to install.
This time of year i dont have interest to start caliber refurb, after all.. blasting, powdercoating, seal kits .. is not free, i have to pay for everything. So i bought new calibers from @renaultpartsdirect. Delivery took only 5 days..
For bonus, red calibers are painted. Much easy to keep clean compared silver calibers. Winterbeater BMW would need also fixing to pass mot check. I have to throw some money and labour there..
I already sold my silver calibers yesterday for local rallydriver. After seal change those will see rally action. I throw with same price slide pins + low mileage brembo pads. He was happy with parts, and i was happy with price.

Absolutely superb antti!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrpink
Small progress

Rear brake disc shields medium blasted, painted with anticorrosion brush paint + edd china satin black..
I drilled old rives out, and replaced with 4.8x25mm rivets.
Rear calibers got some paint too.. Next thing is to sand and paint rear disc center parts which are rusty.

I have been really busy with our other cars, lot of washing, winter tyres changing and tyre set washing.. blah.

big.jpg

big.jpg

big.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: simoxmino and peter