Clio 197 Ultra Red 2007 from Finland. April, time to start driving.

Inner tie rods replacement & Gearbox oil replacement

Gearbox oil, 2 litres were enough

elf-tranself-nfp-75w80-1l.jpg

New genuine inner track rods, genuine
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far buddy! Keep up the good work! Great progress made so far :smile: You need to buy some spacers for your wheels, they've disappeared into your arches haha!

Looking good so far buddy! Keep up the good work! Great progress made so far :smile: You need to buy some spacers for your wheels, they've disappeared into your arches haha!

Thanks, i dont want to compromise handling with aftermarket spacers. Car is now so great to drive. In factory there must be lot of development and testing work done, they would put tyres wider if that would be ideal. I like sport cars to be just stock.
Other con with spacers: if track is wider tyres throw stones in side panels. Stonechips.

Reactions: Jimmy
Thanks, i dont want to compromise handling with aftermarket spacers. Car is now so great to drive. In factory there must be lot of development and testing work done, they would put tyres wider if that would be ideal. I like sport cars to be just stock.
Other con with spacers: if track is wider tyres throw stones in side panels. Stonechips.

I agree somewhat.

And having read alot about geometry, not changing the Clios fantastic and neutral handling - while gaining SOME extra width; i'd highly advise these on the rear (Engineering wise / as far as putting no extra pressure on the bearings....a far better prospect than 'spacers'):

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=286&model=8

Along with just 5mm hubcentric spacers on the front.

No stone rash issues, no messing with stock handling along with a slight improvement in looks.

****Great work on the car BTW. You are a perfectionist :smile:

Syer, i still stick on oem setup. : )

Yesterday was bath time again. I have to wash once / week because they are using 120.000 tons of finland roads per year.. crazy...!
Cars are rusting and horribly dirty always in wintertime.

My usual wash:
Bilt-Hamber autofoam in process to get dirt / salt off
Pressure wash with 60degree water
Washmitt wash with chemicalguys citruswash&gloss shampoo
Pressure wash
Drying with elite car care yellow thick towel, < recommended!
Bouncer detailer

big.jpg

big.jpg

Last edited:
Antti.

Is that some kind of indoor "wet-room" that you clean your car in ?

Hi Syer

We have garage with my car enthuasist friends near where i live.
When i drive in our garage first place is reserved for washing. I pay monthly price so i can wash as much i like.
We do have 2 more places for temporary use, for example changing oils or changing tires. Then i have my own place too ,another side of that garage. It is approx 45m2. Currently i have my friends car there in storage, it will be free again in april. I am currently looking second cheap car which will take me to work and i can tear clio 197 in parts. Some project coming.. today i just bought projector lights. HID or halogen bulbs? =)

Here you have pic of my "slot" , my old gordini and oil change in progress..

medium.jpg

Last edited:
One problem solved:
I took my car renault dealer because of weird sounds in steering.
When i rotated steering from lock to lock i can feel some notchiness and bump or thump sounds.
I do have used car warranty still valid for 2 months.
They said that universal joint in steering axle was incorrectly aligned.
They took it off and put it correctly. Now steering is really good. No any strange noises when i rotate it.

I bought new headlights
Genuine valeos, including levelling motors. These headlights are 5000km driven (3000miles or so.. )
Headlights are imported from Germany, unfortunately 1 fixing point is broken.. See how they fit without it.
Still considering if i buy hid kit or just good premium H1+H7 bulbs (Osram nightbreaker, philips extremevision)
Negative side with hid kit is those are illegal here. Most of aftermarket hid kits will fail in mot. Even with headlight washers and projectors..
Hid are tempting, but it is such a pain drop bumper to change halogens pass mot..

Pictures are not so great, those are from seller
full.jpg

full.jpg

Reactions: peter and Dystant
i wouldn't bother with a hid kit, if they're a no-go for the finnish MOT.

nice lamps mate..hope they fit ok..

I hope too, those were no cheap
i wouldn't bother with a hid kit, if they're a no-go for the finnish MOT.

Yep, many people have problems with aftermarket hid in mot. They require these things to pass:

1. xenon projector headlights which has all necessary markings that prove that light unit is designed for usually D2S Xenon.
2. Headlight washers
3. Automatic level adjustment, original factory xenons include this.

It depends so much that mot engineer if he finds out that car does have aftermarket hid kit.. If not, no problems.
But in clio it is so much work to remove front bumper for change normal bulbs.

It was nice and sunny morning today, -16celsius. Great weather for driving
big.jpg

Some pics from our Harbour, it is frozen lake behind car
big.jpg

big.jpg

big.jpg

Winter wheels are in horrible state. I will sort those out with new paintwork
summertime.
big.jpg

Here is pictures about my new second hand headlights, i polished lenses with fine compound and rotary polisher.
Light units are from year 2005, imported from Germany.
big.jpg

big.jpg

Last edited:
cracking pictures..really like them..know what its like with that weather..really miss proper winter days

cracking pictures..really like them..know what its like with that weather..really miss proper winter days

Many thanks, february and march are quite cool if we see sun. It is so bright with snow. Did you know my previous Gordini cup was imported from Chezch, Praque. It was in really good condition. I dont know if it was driven in wintertime or not.
Do they salt roads there?

Lovely photos Antti. Paintwork on Clio looks great

Thank you, it is quite good for its age.
Only problem with paintwork is left rear panel which is between door and rear light. Previous owner told me that snow plow hit car when it was in park. Insurance paid that damage, but paintwork is not perfect.
Paint shade is little incorrect, too much orange. It seems to be worst in fluorescent lights.
I have plans to get this sorted between april and may. I know one guy from my local paintshop. He is really great in his job. I hope he can paint it how it should be.

Great pics in the snow mate!

Thanks, red is good colour with snow.

Reactions: ///M
I'm laying in bed looking at your fabulous pics Antti.

I just caught the one showing -16 on the dash and pulled my duvet up a little further :smile:

That is fresh. Any windchill with that and it must be something else.....

Reactions: ///M
glad you liked your import..yeah they do grit/salt the roads in Czech..lots atm tbh..

I'm laying in bed looking at your fabulous pics Antti.

I just caught the one showing -16 on the dash and pulled my duvet up a little further :smile:

That is fresh. Any windchill with that and it must be something else.....

-16c here is normal.. when we have -30c then people in the work maybe say something about weather.
Wind makes weather more difficult, true. I remember one time when i was in Egypt, then i arrived in Helsinki airport, -14c and really hard wind at airport parking lot. It was cool..