Clio 197 Suspected Rod End Failure

Hi Guys

Just introduced myself in the new members area :smile: I'm basically here to help my brother get his Clio 197 back on the road after getting a call from him a few weeks ago telling me he'd "blown it up", he sent me a few videos on WhatsApp and from that and a bit of research online, I suspect that it's the Con Rod Bearings? (Seen a few similar issues on here already)

I haven't uploaded the video yet but it sounds EXACTLY like this 197;

I'm pretty handy with the spanners and do everything on my own 3 trucks on the driveway (Nissan Terrano 4x4's) I'm going to be helping him get this sorted out.

I reckon the first port of call is going to be dropping the oil and checking the con rod bearings?

Many Thanks
Zac

Hi Guys

Just introduced myself in the new members area :smile: I'm basically here to help my brother get his Clio 197 back on the road after getting a call from him a few weeks ago telling me he'd "blown it up", he sent me a few videos on WhatsApp and from that and a bit of research online, I suspect that it's the Con Rod Bearings? (Seen a few similar issues on here already)

I haven't uploaded the video yet but it sounds EXACTLY like this 197;

I'm pretty handy with the spanners and do everything on my own 3 trucks on the driveway (Nissan Terrano 4x4's) I'm going to be helping him get this sorted out.

I reckon the first port of call is going to be dropping the oil and checking the con rod bearings?

Many Thanks
Zac

It does happen, know of a few that have went

197 Meglio Racer ! http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-track-sprint-car-cup-racerified-and-now-boosted.53560/

Thanks for the reply mate, yeah I've seen a few on here and seen some pictures of the Con Rods that have bent!!!! :dizzy:

He's not really listening at the moment, keep whining about how unfair life is and that he always gets bad luck etc etc, his mechanic friend has told him it's likely the followers but it sounds a little more terminal to me than that. May as well replace them as he is in there if he's willing to as he's taken it all apart now.

He's sent me a few pictures and I'm a little concerned, the head of the engine looks burnt orange to me like it's been cooked alive? Is that me being a bit dramatic? What do you guys think. Think he's planning to replace the timing belt as well while he's in there.

Also he's made the mistake of not locking out the timing gears when he removed the timing case and as a result he's rotated the cam and now timing will be an issue. Is there a guide to timing these beats in the How To area? Looks like I better pay up my membership hey?

IMG_20170909_WA0016_1280x960.jpg
IMG_20170909_WA0017_1280x960.jpg
IMG_20170909_WA0018_1280x960.jpg

Just wow on the colour. I'd be concerned on chucking good money on bad with that too............

Looks like it's had a hard life!!! It doesn't use any oil I don't think and was going fine until this happened :/

Peoples thoughts? I think he wants to do the repair on it and buy something else

seen worse!

dont worry about timing - only need to lock when rebuilding it

top ends of f4r are usually reliable not seen many lifter issues

Just old oil residue. Tbh it's either running them low on oil on infrequent oil changes that probably does it.

Funny enough one of the people I know bought a 197 from a girl I know. Low miles but really crap service history. Put a rod through the block.

The year before I bought her 172 off her that had been laying around since she had the 197, equally craply maintained. Clutch went a week or two after buying.

197 Meglio Racer ! http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-track-sprint-car-cup-racerified-and-now-boosted.53560/

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll keep you up to date once he's had a bit of headspace, I'll call him tomorrow, he's only 21 and I'm 26 just to give you the picture, he's very heat of the moment, just keeping a brotherly eye on him trying to see him right.

Cheers Guys

Reactions: DS197
He's totally lost interest in the car and it still sits on the drive on axle stands untouched from the last pictures. He's been talking about replacing the lifters and swapping the oil and filters and putting it all back together. He said if that doesn't stop the noise then he has been told to pour a full tub of molyslip in the engine :@ :@ :@

There's no talking to him, if he bodges it I'll let you guys know so you can avoid it like the plague if it comes up cheap on eBay.

Best case scenario here is that he sells it to me dirt cheap and I'll fix it right.

Or is anyone looking for a project at the moment? What's it worth in it's current state?

Cheers