Clio 197 Storm Grey project

Nice work and love the colour. I'd re-think the airbox tbh. Like I posted elsewhere, despite what people might say, there are no gains to be had with the airbox. The enlarge TB is the same. RST have done comparisons and there are no gains to be had. I know this as I was the first on here to have the TB enlarged and one of few to run the airbox. There's a lot of work to get it to fit right. The pipe fitted means the airbox doesn't sit where it should and ends up twisting. There's not much give in the pipe. The other issue is the cup cars run without splash panels so was easier to get air into it. Also there seems to be some debate to whether the airbox was to limit the power as oppose to increase it.

Im no expert and can only share my experiences with you. I've had most stuff done to a NA clio and the best mod for them is leaving them well alone. The power difference with all Clios is how they were run in. Drive it like you stole it from new, you see a healthy 195-198 bhp, if it's been gently run it, could see 170- 180 or less.

If i ran another, exhaust and ktec air open air filter for noise. Remap just to make sure all is well, and that's it. Might save you a lot of time, work, money and even power.

Litchy, airbox won't be to limit power on cup racers, I appreciate that it's gains are not fully tested across multiple cars for verification, but they used it in the R3 maxi which was 227bhp (230cv) so clearly no restriction at stock power levels.
RS must have had a reason to do it on Cup Racer, R3 Access and R3 Maxi.... Just like for the 2009 spec Maxi Evo they changed ait again. I would conclude the V6 airbox is at its limit around 225bhp ish.

Litchy, airbox won't be to limit power on cup racers, I appreciate that it's gains are not fully tested across multiple cars for verification, but they used it in the R3 maxi which was 227bhp (230cv) so clearly no restriction at stock power levels.
RS must have had a reason to do it on Cup Racer, R3 Access and R3 Maxi.... Just like for the 2009 spec Maxi Evo they changed ait again. I would conclude the V6 airbox is at its limit around 225bhp ish.

I guess I can only go off my own experiences having fitted one some years back and on RST well respected dyno, it made nothing more or less than the standard system. I'm not surprised tbh as the engine is pretty much maxed out to be honest around 200bhp at best despite of what mods were bolted on.
I think the comparisons with the cup and R3 are less relevant given those cars share very little with the road clio which like I said is already at capacity around 200bhp anyway.

That aside, really nice project.....

I think the comparisons with the cup and R3 are less relevant given those cars share very little with the road clio which like I said is already at capacity around 200bhp anyway.

Disagree there;
Cup Racer is the same engine, just different exhaust system and obviously the airbox.
R3 Access is same as above but runs a different inlet cam.
R3 Maxi is the first iteration that stars to deviate. Exhaust manifold, cams, pistons and injectors.
R3 Maxi Evo is the only one that's prohibitively expensive because it has a different crank and head. Also has rods and solid lifters. Then vs the older Maxi it has different cams, pistons and airbox again!

Disagree there;
Cup Racer is the same engine, just different exhaust system and obviously the airbox.
R3 Access is same as above but runs a different inlet cam.
R3 Maxi is the first iteration that stars to deviate. Exhaust manifold, cams, pistons and injectors.
R3 Maxi Evo is the only one that's prohibitively expensive because it has a different crank and head. Also has rods and solid lifters. Then vs the older Maxi it has different cams, pistons and airbox again!

Disagree? It's like saying the megane is the same engine but it's a turbo. I accept the cup racer is the same but I thought that's the given. I have no technical knowledge outside of what everybody else does through Google but the only other thing I can share is my own experiences which may equally be worth very little. Each to their own and project cars for me, just keep me out of the way of the wife who'd have me decorating or something. Bolting stuff one doesn't don't always justify the ends but I don't always care.
If we are talking about how it makes the car feel, the Airbox sounds great but so does the ktecs. If the work justifies that then fine, they are not my car keys. However if it's an debate around 'gains', take a common sense approach. how much would you expect the airbox to give you?

Your probably paying 7-10k for 25bhp so why do people think bolting an exhaust and airbox is gonna give you anything but a great sound? We tell people keep your credit card in your pocket and that forge engine stuff, Just get a miltek and a V6 airbox then a map and there's 15bhp? Really and if only.
A fool and his money are easily parted, and I've been that fool on to many times that I could mention!! Lol

Anyway I like the air scoop, that should help....

Last edited:
so clean and swirls free surface..would love to get mine done..sometimes wish i had a diff trade :biggrin:

Finally finished my custom air scoop for my v6 airbox

I will be making another one to a better standard this is just a test piece

d4c4d90fa5a6189fe85a563be5dfc160.jpg

de466064e1bfaa2d86146e64b75b495c.jpg

2607fc4d0568c602f1e4a9824f36ff5b.jpg

4f47d119327f7a94eb10c6584a3b37bf.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I can only go off my own experiences having fitted one some years back and on RST well respected dyno, it made nothing more or less than the standard system.
Was the car mapped to suit V6 airbox or dyno'd with original map instead?

Got it all fitted today just need to get it remapped next week

c32b97971c82427825caabf6dd159595.jpg

9fefb8846bd5df5bfabee48f04328fec.jpg

I had a spare bumper I cut up so I could line the air scoop with the hole

02d5154e9a242264219fa6ce15fd2aa2.jpg

b32b59e05470e4c52ec64f0e80129147.jpg

All done

4fe87a148c9cb4c5027c0f776bb2d079.jpg

95bfbfcdc0d8eda405359bc95168e47a.jpgf

Last edited: