Clio 197 performance gains

Hey all, my 1st post on the forum here, been lurking for quite some time now.

Well, a couple of questions, if I may, already been asked in previous posts, but seem a bit inconclusive to me.

I got a ktec pro performance cat back recently and am loving the sound (a bit too droney on low revs, but nevertheless love it). Am gonna do a remap soon, but am thinking of getting a decat aswell before it (have a panel filter installed aswell).

1. Do you gain more power with a decat when doing a remap? If so, how much (noticable or not)?
2. Is it really that much louder with the decat fitted?
3. How is the flatspot with a decat and after the remap? (Planning to go with the rstuner remap).

The clio is my 2nd car, use it sometimes as my daily, allthough I don't do long trips.

Frequently asked questions I know, just wondering if I got the info right from the previous posts.

Main question; will I be missing out if I don't do the decat?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome along. Any decent remap should iron out all the flat spots regardless of what aftermarket add-ons you have.

Good luck

Edit: Missing out on what regarding decat? Power,noise??

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Pav
without going into it too much as its been covered in many topics here but in short Renault have done a good job maxing this engines power . no real gains are achievable without spending big money.

Welcome along. Any decent remap should iron out all the flat spots regardless of what aftermarket add-ons you have.

Good luck

Edit: Missing out on what regarding decat? Power,noise??

Power, noisy is great as it is.

Yeah I know you can't squeeze much out of the engine w/o a hefty sum of cash, just wondering as I'm doing the remap will I get noticably power with the decat, that's all.

1. Maybe, but just a smidge.
2. Depends on the exhaust but it can vary between just a bit to loads.
3. Already answered by Ben.

Yes it makes loads of sense to get them breathing right but chasing power in these cars is absolutely pointless. I'd definitely advise looking at the KTR induction before you remap too. If I'd have known how much I absolutely love ours I'd have done it long ago and it's really fairly priced too.

Hi and welcome..to your qs..afraid to say there will be no noticeable power gains after a remap..I myself had my car mapped at rst in Leeds..the car went from 184bhp with a horrendous flat soot to a very pleasant 197bhp with no flat spot..
I could see minimal to no real life difference while driving..the biggest difference was having no flat spot which made me feel like the revs were picking up quicker..
Hope it helps

Reactions: Jimmy
That's what I'm actually hoping for, a more normal ride and maybe an odd HP or two. Hopefully that you don't have to downshift constantly in order to accelerate.

That's what I'm actually hoping for, a more normal ride and maybe an odd HP or two. Hopefully that you don't have to downshift constantly in order to accelerate.

It's not going to change that. You're always going to need to be in the right gear to keep the revs up in order to make speedy progress. But that's part of the fun of these cars. Just rev the nuts off it and have fun.

Mine went from 190 to 199bhp with about 15lbft of torque increase. Real time driving was massively improved though. More eager from any revs and no flatspot made a good car great!
Might see an extra 1-2 hp with the decat but won't be noticeable

I found Raptors lightened crankshaft pulley to help with revs and therefore feel quicker. Noise can also fool you into thinking its faster but its worth enjoying! A decat and remap is the next option for me I reckon.

As others have said, chasing numbers is daft but making it more driveable, that will improve your fun no end.

Reactions: ///M
Not much point in having a decat you won't gain any noticebable power and there illegal, if your ktec is loud just stick with that and enjoy the clio for what it is.

Not much point in having a decat you won't gain any noticebable power and there illegal, if your ktec is loud just stick with that and enjoy the clio for what it is.

Only illegal if both cats are removed, if the manifold cat is still there then it's fine.

Reactions: Lownds197