Clio 197 ownership VERY disappointing

Had a 200 for 5 years and had none of these issues, but it was stock. Only issue in 5 years was the gearbox, changed under warranty...another 'quirk'....

UPDATE!
I'm not sure why or how but the 197 seems to be cured!
As previously posted I have fitted new plugs, cam sensor, new coil packs. I have used car over last 3 days and the stuttering, hesitation etc seems to have gone. I haven't covered many miles before now and have only filled car up twice. Is it possible that the car has adjusted to the new parts and the v power fuel I always use and righted itself? I have no idea what car was ran on before so may have been normal unleaded. Does the ecu have to learn and alter itself to the new parts fitted and potentially different fuel?
Let me know your views please!
Fingers crossed the niggles are behind me for now and I can get to know the car better.

Just to add I had the car into the garage and had the exhaust etc checked. All was present and correct with no modifications or signs of damage. If car proves to be ok a pipe, filter and map could be on the cards! What power would you gain from carrying out these mods? Any of you guys done similar mods and been on rolling road?
Thanks again for all input:clap:

Glad to hear it's sorted itself out, when I first bought mine it didn't run as well as it does now but I put that down to it being stood for a few months and run on crap fuel.

From what I've read you won't gain much with a remap in terms of pub talk bhp but it improves the drive ability and pick up in the lower revs. You'll get a slight increase but it's nothing like what you'd get from a turbo car. Probably see about 8-10bhp if your lucky but you'll gain across the revs. Bluefin have a dyno chart of their maps here

There's quite a few dyno graphs here that show cars in various sate of tune, bear in mind that these seem to vary quite a lot in what they kick out as standard.

UPDATE!
I'm not sure why or how but the 197 seems to be cured!
As previously posted I have fitted new plugs, cam sensor, new coil packs. I have used car over last 3 days and the stuttering, hesitation etc seems to have gone. I haven't covered many miles before now and have only filled car up twice. Is it possible that the car has adjusted to the new parts and the v power fuel I always use and righted itself? I have no idea what car was ran on before so may have been normal unleaded. Does the ecu have to learn and alter itself to the new parts fitted and potentially different fuel?
Let me know your views please!
Fingers crossed the niggles are behind me for now and I can get to know the car better.

sounds like it just needed a proper service....

higher octane fuel will help as the ecu will constantly adapt to the better fuel

oh and they seem better after a good thrashing :zap:

Yay! Glad it's starting to feel a lot better / drivable! Hopefully now you'll get to enjoy a good couple of B road blasts :smile:

Yay! Glad it's starting to feel a lot better / drivable! Hopefully now you'll get to enjoy a good couple of B road blasts :smile:

I will now look forward to a blast in the car! Only blasts it had upto press have been to shop and job centre to sign on:nope: . When I get back into work I'll throw a few quid at her maybe some better brakes and suspension and a set of quality tyres. Fingers crossed won't be too much longer

Is this for real ?

Some cars do definately benefit from a good clear-out occasionally.

Are the clio RS's one of those cars ?

I thrash mine nearly everytime I go out (once the car has warmed up of course) and i've never had any sort of issues with it, even on 95 unleaded although I use 99 now. It's almost like the car enjoys it.

Great news, good to hear that things seem to have sorted themselves out! Hopefully you can get back to enjoying it and maybe you could even find it in your heart to recommend a 197 to someone now :wink::smiley:

I always feel like my car runs a bit better after a good drive out. 90% of my driving is to work and back, so when it gets to have a blast it seems to 'clear it out' a bit! It's what they're designed for at the end of the day!

I always feel like my car runs a bit better after a good drive out. 90% of my driving is to work and back, so when it gets to have a blast it seems to 'clear it out' a bit! It's what they're designed for at the end of the day!

Thats me to a "T".

95% of my driving is at 50mph tops - stuck behind the car infront as i travel to work. At the weekend we tend to use wifes cars with kids etc......

I need to get angry, get out there and get my lead boots on !

In my 5 years with a 200, it mostly had tesco 95 fuel and when I used 99 or Shell V for awhile, I noticed hardly any difference. It did like to be driven 'properly' though, as others have said. As others have also said a remap may not be worth it. A nice Akro exhaust would be a good mod, good brakes and not much else unless you want to go hardcore....

Great news, good to hear that things seem to have sorted themselves out! Hopefully you can get back to enjoying it and maybe you could even find it in your heart to recommend a 197 to someone now :wink::smiley:

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how she goes but if it carries on as it is I will be forced to eat my words! If the last few days are an indication of things to come I'm sure i would recommend to others.Even if not recommending the 197 I would recommend the forum as a place to visit for some sound advice and opinions/ Thanks all!!!!!

My car is now running too. The garage swapped the empty pipe against the genuine muffler, checked and corrected the timing. Now it is running like a charm.
But I detected the damper top mounts are broken on both sides... :foxspeed:

I contacted simoxmino already.
When I change these does it make sense to change the bushes on the rear axle too? Can these be swapped to unibal bearings like on the cup race axle?

Last edited:
all the ones I know of driven hard seem to be the better ones!

Hi, @ bigstu77 is it maybe it had rubbish fuel in the tank and is all cleaned out now after you having put v power in it? (Just a thought) I had my car on the rolling road last sat it's done 82,200 miles and 9 half years old always run on good fuel it ran 188bhp well happy and it gets a good/spirited run all the time so mimic [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] comments. Il put a video link up of it on the rollers.

Hi, @ bigstu77 is it maybe it had rubbish fuel in the tank and is all cleaned out now after you having put v power in it? (Just a thought) I had my car on the rolling road last sat it's done 82,200 miles and 9 half years old always run on good fuel it ran 188bhp well happy and it gets a good/spirited run all the time so mimic @foxspeed comments. Il put a video link up of it on the rollers.

Hi @ chris1888-197, I think the fuel may have been a big part of the issue. You must be pleased with 188 bhp I think once I'm back in work gonna fit exhaust and filter and off to rs tuning for a map. This should increase drive ability and grin factor.