Clio 197 mods

Hey everyone,

New Clio 197 owner as of friday and new to the forum. '

I as just interested to know any experiences people have had with modifying a clio 197. What are some good starting modifications to gain some BHP or to lose some weight. Ive looked at Cat cams but are there any other cam options cause ive been reading and it seems like they havent got a great rep. ECU suggestions? Exhaust Suggestions? Any modification suggestions. Im also trying to find a rear spoiler?

What have people experienced with 18 inch turini's, how has the smaller size affected the drive and handling?

I plan to over the next year do a fair bit of work on this car as i want to start tracking her in about 6 months. So some extra BHP will help me out on the long straight at eastern I am completely new to clio ownership and so of course to modifying one as well. So please excuse my ignorance, i am just keen to learn.

Any help, or answering any of my questions would be greatly appreciated (Even advice or warnings about certain mods)

Thanks, Clio197AUS

Many people forget these cars are great out the box, there really is no need to touch anything to make it a competent track car.

If I had my time again with the Clio I'd start like this:
Cup racer wheels with R888s
CL RC5+ pads all round
KW V1/V3 dependent on budget
Exhaust of your choice + remap

Everything else isn't exactly value for money but out of the stuff I've done I'd do the quaife diff again. A nice set of recaros help if you haver got them.

Im looking at KW V3 coilover with the custom tops (2.5 degrees camber/ 7degrees caster) and a set of lightweight 17" OZ Ultraleggaras with semi-slicks, but im not necessarily going to do many engine modifications, but im still interested in a little bit of extra BHP and weight reduction, surely some 197 owners are doing it :smile:

Depends how much you want to spend really. kwv3's def for track! I went for schrick cams as they are the wildest and they really pull after 5k, much better over standard through all gears!! Then either cup racer wheels or OZ with 888's will make it very good!!!

Maybe ds2500 pads, but the standard ones are good as well, if they dont feel good they might need a fluid change.

They are very good out of the box, drove my mates yesterday which is just on eibachs and was very impressed. Can be very easy to keep going with mods when there is no need, so choose them wisely. :smile:

Depends how much you want to spend really. kwv3's def for track! I went for schrick cams as they are the wildest and they really pull after 5k, much better over standard through all gears!! Then either cup racer wheels or OZ with 888's will make it very good!!!

Maybe ds2500 pads, but the standard ones are good as well, if they dont feel good they might need a fluid change.

They are very good out of the box, drove my mates yesterday which is just on eibachs and was very impressed. Can be very easy to keep going with mods when there is no need, so choose them wisely. :smile:

Mike, what does yours run on those cams mate?

R888's
Decent pads
A diff ( not fitted at the ktech crazy prices )
Decent brake fluid
Exon braided lines
Clubsports
Exhaust and map

Job done !

Im looking at KW V3 coilover with the custom tops (2.5 degrees camber/ 7degrees caster) and a set of lightweight 17" OZ Ultraleggaras with semi-slicks, but im not necessarily going to do many engine modifications, but im still interested in a little bit of extra BHP and weight reduction, surely some 197 owners are doing it :smile:

:welcome:

Would it not make more sense to buy the coilovers and top mounts in the one kit ie. KW Clubsports?

OZ Ultraleggeras seem to be the lightweight choice of wheel for the 197/200s.

Remap and exhaust would be give the car a nice "little" increase in power.

As for weight loss? The easiest things are; removal of rear seats and install a smaller battery etc.

Mike, what does yours run on those cams mate?

Mine ran with, ITG filter inlets, akra exhaust, when fully mapped it ran 220. Litchys made 210. Many variables on that i guess!? On cam i loved it mate, felt so grunty and really charged! It was the power curve that made the whole thing better, it never felt flat it just went lol!

:welcome:

Would it not make more sense to buy the coilovers and top mounts in the one kit ie. KW Clubsports?

OZ Ultraleggeras seem to be the lightweight choice of wheel for the 197/200s.

Remap and exhaust would be give the car a nice "little" increase in power.

As for weight loss? The easiest things are; removal of rear seats and install a smaller battery etc.

Do they make top mounts for the V3's noddie?

Didnt think so. Simo's mate makes his own and they can be made to suit the KW V3s.

AST are meant to offer their top mount to suit different coilover setups, but when Simo ordered a set for his H&Rs they didnt fit.

Yeah im on simo's list, but cant have them until he gets 5 orders :worried:

Yeah i ordered AST ones in december.......nothing since ll!!

Think thats the problem with AST. They offer great products but their sales/aftersales team is a joke.

Yeah, ive heard nothing good about the services, which is a shame as there products are quality!

:welcome: to the site.

Many people forget these cars are great out the box, there really is no need to touch anything to make it a competent track car.

If I had my time again with the Clio I'd start like this:
Cup racer wheels with R888s
CL RC5+ pads all round
KW V1/V3 dependent on budget
Exhaust of your choice + remap

Everything else isn't exactly value for money but out of the stuff I've done I'd do the quaife diff again. A nice set of recaros help if you haver got them.

That would have saved you some money ben :smiley:

I absolutely love this forum, got so many more responses then any other forum ive joined :smile: Thanks for the great advice everyone, ill start a project thread soon and post some pictures up and then keep you up to date with progress. Keep the comments coming, thanks again