clio 197 bottom ball joint help

clio 197 bottom ball joint help​

Hi all, I've read a few posts on here saying that I can replace the bottom ball joint (heat it up and press it out) and a few saying I cant, I have to replace the whole suspension arm.

Which is right??? Also I cant find out where to get the ball joints from in the first place. (Cant find them on the renault sport website).

How much are the suspension arms? am I jus wasting my time trying to replace it, shall I just bite the bullet and get one??

All advice is greatly appreciated really dont know what to do!!

If you get one you may as well get both done Si the man you need to ask(fast fooker)

My ball joint went on passenger side; bottom part - £200 for part - got some discount to about £165 - I only got one side done at the time.

I can perhaps dig out part numbers I got if you need?

Mine as got a bit of play in it so a part number would be good if you have it:kiss:

yeah part numbers would be good matey, the passenger side is fine so gonna leave that one as havent really got the spare dough at the min. Need back brake pads and starting a new insurance policy next month! :S

Get the part from Karl, or your local Renault dealer. One ball joint is in the inner hub carrier, the other in the outer hub carrier.

No point in doing both sides unless necessary, they cost a fortune.

Get the part from Karl, or your local Renault dealer. One ball joint is in the inner hub carrier, the other in the outer hub carrier.

No point in doing both sides unless necessary, they cost a fortune.

Karl??? again how do i do that? dont know how to get hold of an individual on here? dont wanna get it from renault unless i have to they want 230 quid

Karl??? again how do i do that? dont know how to get hold of an individual on here? dont wanna get it from renault unless i have to they want 230 quid

Oh and to get a discount on the parts you need to be a paid member mate

You can get some ball joints separately from R-Sport in Wimbledon, however be sure that whoever is going to do the work is happy with it, and of course that you are getting the right ball joint. I seem to recall that one of them is available separately but another isn't.

Be aware that if it is a ball joint that is mounted in the hub carrier then you may need to heat up the hub carrier to remove, and given that it is aluminium the heat can affect its characteristics. Despite my parents having a garage, we decided it was easiest just to replace the hub carrier and ball joint, rather than messing about trying to remove and replace the ball joint. I seem to recall that it was the lower one on the hub carrier that we replaced.

2011-09-06001-2.jpg

Last edited: