Chris's LY 200t.

Not a lot happening with the Clio lately, got a fair bit saved for some new shoes hopefully in a few months time.

However, me and the old man are looking into getting a van/big car that we can joint-own, that I can use as a daily shed so I'm not clonking miles onto mine (she just ticked 50k), and also thats a bit more economical! And then he can use it for a shit mobile (he has a 17 plate 4 series that he hates using for taking stuff to the tip and moving stuff about in - also for dogs).

So its a bit of a win win. Something cheap (1k sort of tops budget), economical and big enough to chuck shite in! Viewing a 2007 citreon berlingo on saturday morning!

Nice one Chris, hope you manage to find a decent one. I imagine there will be a lot of garbage out there, but if you find a good one, definitely a winner!

Reactions: Chris
It will be one of your better purchases i promise bud.....

So have you got a garage you can store the car in too......or is this 'just' a mile-saver ?

Once the thought of not using your car in Winter/ to save miles is in your head; there's no going back. Van will be a lovely, useful tool too. I'm always borrowing from work. some of the small, modern TD's go like stink too.

Good luck !

Most vans that price will be mate lol

Found a couple of high milers that seem ok. Can't be worse than that.

The engine has loads if throw in it, turbo smoking, oil leaking from block, damp dear seats and a puddle in the back. Horrible knock from suspension...

Doesn't have to be a van, just a bigger car..

Next door neighbour has just got a lovely Astra van for that sort of budget.

It will be one of your better purchases i promise bud.....

So have you got a garage you can store the car in too......or is this 'just' a mile-saver ?

Once the thought of not using your car in Winter/ to save miles is in your head; there's no going back. Van will be a lovely, useful tool too. I'm always borrowing from work. some of the small, modern TD's go like stink too.

Good luck !

Yeah just something to keep the main work miles off the clio, will still use the clio ofc. Also nice to have something that will do 50odd to gallon!

Last edited:
Transit Connect or something similar? Can pick up decent ex-lease vans from auction for a decent price! Mate of mine got a 61 plate ex British Gas Caddy for just over 2k! Fair mileage but had been looked after with FSH! Hasn't skipped a beat!

Just a though Chris up here our you need appointments to use tips of you have a van as counted as commercial waste. My boss bought a Berlingo for this purpose as its a 'car'.

Just a though Chris up here our you need appointments to use tips of you have a van as counted as commercial waste. My boss bought a Berlingo for this purpose as its a 'car'.

Good point. Same here in Wiltshire...they get a bee in their bonnet if you turn up in a van unannounced!

I own/drive a van. My local council require me to have a permit to take rubbish to the tip in my van. It’s free but only allows 12 visits per year.

Cheers guys - great points there.

My dads looking at an 06 estate focus 1.8 diesel atm. To be honest as long as its not huge, cheap to run, insure and is reliable, I'm not too fussed what it is, van, car, van-car.... He's leaning away from a proper van so we can bung the dogs in the back when they're all muddy etc. For me its just a means of keeping miles off the clio, and hopefully a bit cheaper for my work run.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Cheers guys - great points there.

My dads looking at an 06 estate focus 1.8 diesel atm. To be honest as long as its not huge, cheap to run, insure and is reliable, I'm not too fussed what it is, van, car, van-car.... He's leaning away from a proper van so we can bung the dogs in the back when they're all muddy etc. For me its just a means of keeping miles off the clio, and hopefully a bit cheaper for my work run.

I think the ethos is right. A long as its spacious - and therefore multi-purpose - to some degree it don't matter what it is. And at that sort of price-point; mileage, history, current owner etc and gut feeling is more important than the badge per-se.

Is you Dad car-proud ? You two aren't gonna fight over this once purchased are you :tearsofjoy:

Similar Thread Suggestions