Check your scuttle drain!

Took Clio to Sean Edwards in Shirley today to get a duplicate key card and whilst he was doing (2 cards for £110 as the original was on the way out) I asked how easy it was to clear the scuttle drains?

He said that access was easy but I would need to put a air gun down them to properly clear 10 years gunk!

Then he said he would do them for nothing .It was just as well as the water level was dangerously high!

I reckon I was lucky and just in time!
good job..needs doing 2x a year at least..the build up is unreal!!

Reactions: LOCKE
All it takes is one leaf to block the drain tube. It makes sense to remove the tubes but surely they are designed to be there for a purpose?

I'm anxious to see what I find on my car. At least I have bought a wiper arm puller to make the job easier. Money well spent if it is required to do that often. My car lives outside parked near trees, sooo.... Will do the job around Christmas time.

I'm anxious to see what I find on my car. At least I have bought a wiper arm puller to make the job easier. Money well spent if it is required to do that often. My car lives outside parked near trees, sooo.... Will do the job around Christmas time.
asap mate as its a crucial thing to check on....better be safe than sorry..

All it takes is one leaf to block the drain tube. It makes sense to remove the tubes but surely they are designed to be there for a purpose?
@LOCKE I wondered about this as well. I’m thinking about removing them. Has anyone removed them and had no issues?
Cheers

@Doogle Cheers! I’m thinking of doing the same especially on the drivers side given how small/narrow it is

My drivers side was basically closed, seems the rubber had perished/shrunk (unless they arr like that?) And the end up with a kind of rot on them which makes the surface rough and catchs and holds dirt, sticks and leaves. If I could find out what the wire is on the passenger side and tape it out of the way Id remove that one too.

I am careful where I park due to bird poo and tree sap and other tree debris. Im lucky that work and home is generally nowhere near any big trees!

Reactions: Lewis13
My drivers side was basically closed, seems the rubber had perished/shrunk (unless they arr like that?) And the end up with a kind of rot on them which makes the surface rough and catchs and holds dirt, sticks and leaves. If I could find out what the wire is on the passenger side and tape it out of the way Id remove that one too.

I am careful where I park due to bird poo and tree sap and other tree debris. Im lucky that work and home is generally nowhere near any big trees!

Where about is the wire on the passengers side located? Do you have any photos?

Where about is the wire on the passengers side located? Do you have any photos?

I dont bud, I didnt take photos but I remember taking it out, looking down the gap and thinking whats that wire! I was wary only because theres various modules and fuseboxes on that side of the car. I may have a look at some point. Anyone know if you can access that area from popping out the arch liner?

The tubes have a 'one way' flap that allows water to flow out but not back up, I'm guessing without the tube that moisture could potentially work its way up into the engine bay. The wheel arches should prevent that but it's the only reason I can see for having tubes with a one way flap.

It's definitely a job that needs doing regularly, I had a 1.6 dynamique prior to the 197 and unknowingly had a pool of water sloshing around the scuttle eventually having to replace the wiper motor.

Reactions: LOCKE and Lewis13
The tubes have a 'one way' flap that allows water to flow out but not back up, I'm guessing without the tube that moisture could potentially work its way up into the engine bay. The wheel arches should prevent that but it's the only reason I can see for having tubes with a one way flap.

It's definitely a job that needs doing regularly, I had a 1.6 dynamique prior to the 197 and unknowingly had a pool of water sloshing around the scuttle eventually having to replace the wiper motor.

All cars have the one way flap for those drainage tubes, its to stop debris getting in from the bottom. My old BMW had very long tubes down the back of the archs and would clog easier than the Clio.

Moisture shouldnt as theres a seal on the engine side of the tray to stop water overflowing into the engine bay. Id hope heat from the engine would help get rid of low level moisture anyway through heat.

20180407_180959.jpg