Check ASB/ESP

I have this appearing on my dash along with the ABS light, traction control light and yellow spanner and was wondering what was causing it and if anyone can help.

It did it about a year ago intermittently but then if you stopped, switched it off and then re-started again the warnings went off. after time it stopped doing it completely until recently.

Now it's doing it everytime I use the car, it seems to do it while braking and slowing right down (as at a roundabout or junction) the warnings don't come on when driving at speed and simply slowing for bends, it's always under about 10mph.

After the lights come on the car still behaves fine, the abs appears to work and so I presume the Traction control does as well, it's almost as though there is a brief, split second 'glitch' which causes the error code and warning lights to pop up before everything goes back to working fine. As per before stopping and switching the car off clears the lights and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't come back on during that journey. I've also had the car plugged into a diagnostic machine and it shows no fault codes recorded.

I'm thinking it's probably a sensor fault but wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem and if and how it was cured.

Any comments and theorys welcome

Many thanks Rich

Mine did this, only when the battery was disconnected or when I took it on the rolling road. It's something to do with the ABS sensor as this controls the traction control and ASR. So I would say that you are right, it must be a slight problem with that.

Sounds like a damaged ABS sensor or muck/metal fillings stuck to one and cant read the trigger wheel.

Can you get to all the sensors to check for this?

plug in to a obd2 reader....there should be some codes stored to point you in the right direction

at a guess it could be a faulty abs sensor

I've had it plugged into the obd connector, but it appears there are no stored fault codes which is a pain in itself as this might point me toward the wheel with the issue. I've recently stripped all the brakes for there annual cleaning and while doing this I found I could pull the sensors out on the rear and so gave them a good wiping as they were dickered in mud and crap (the fault was there at the time thats why I did it) but I couldn't locate the ones for the front hubs.

Abs fault should throw up a specific 'check brakes' warning, I've seen that on mine after rolling road sessions.

Aren't the rear excitor rings prone to crapping up?

Hmm, cheers chaps for the comments, think I'll have to have the wheels off for another butchers, I don't suppose anyone knows where the sensor is located on the front do they?