Car buying addiction

For ME: in reference to cars and bikes - (i soon realised) 'advertised top speeds / power meant very little.

Having owned a Brand new GSXR 1000, a couple of Ducati's, some Monster Supermoto's etc - about the most fun and involving motorcycle i've ever owned was a Honda VFR400.

Not so much so with cars - as i've never owned anything stupidly fast. But feelings / sensations and the smiles and enjoyment they bring is far-far more important to me than age, kudos or book speeds. And i'm happy to oblige a few foibles in order to achieve that in general. To a point !

I see folk selling their old vehicle on ebay etc and mention the reason for sale as 'trading up'. Well often i read between the lines and see their way of thinking is 'faster = better' in relation to the new vehicle they mention they've now bought.

For me that's never been true. Faster is simply faster. In no way does that automatically go hand in hand with 'better'.

If i did more miles / needed something more comfortable / more fuel efficient / that came with a warranty etc etc etc perhaps my views would change. But for now that's not of importance to me and help to highlight why i own a Clio RS.

But thats just me...........and in saying all of that - i hope you enjoy your new car as much as i love mine :smile:

Post of the month!

All over every single word mate. As you know my other car is significantly quicker than the Clio (and worth about five times as much) yet when it comes to the enjoyment of driving, it's a very very closely run thing. The Clio really is that good.

Look at the guy with the Lambo who loves his 200 too.

It just needs about another 50 bhp and it would be incredible. Regardless, they're just a bloody brilliant car to drive. In fact pound for pound it's one of the best. There's a reason why all the motoring press went mad for it.

However, for the OP, if he wants to move to something completely different because that suits him more, fair enough.

Just the driving experience won't be as fun!

For ME: in reference to cars and bikes - (i soon realised) 'advertised top speeds / power meant very little.

Having owned a Brand new GSXR 1000, a couple of Ducati's, some Monster Supermoto's etc - about the most fun and involving motorcycle i've ever owned was a Honda VFR400.

Not so much so with cars - as i've never owned anything stupidly fast. But feelings / sensations and the smiles and enjoyment they bring is far-far more important to me than age, kudos or book speeds. And i'm happy to oblige a few foibles in order to achieve that in general. To a point !

I see folk selling their old vehicle on ebay etc and mention the reason for sale as 'trading up'. Well often i read between the lines and see their way of thinking is 'faster = better' in relation to the new vehicle they mention they've now bought.

For me that's never been true. Faster is simply faster. In no way does that automatically go hand in hand with 'better'.

If i did more miles / needed something more comfortable / more fuel efficient / that came with a warranty etc etc etc perhaps my views would change. But for now that's not of importance to me and help to highlight why i own a Clio RS.

But thats just me...........and in saying all of that - i hope you enjoy your new car as much as i love mine :smile:
perfectly put speed power but my 220t is the best all around car I've owed so far

Post of the month!

All over every single word mate. As you know my other car is significantly quicker than the Clio (and worth about five times as much) yet when it comes to the enjoyment of driving, it's a very very closely run thing. The Clio really is that good.

Look at the guy with the Lambo who loves his 200 too.

It just needs about another 50 bhp and it would be incredible. Regardless, they're just a bloody brilliant car to drive. In fact pound for pound it's one of the best. There's a reason why all the motoring press went mad for it.

However, for the OP, if he wants to move to something completely different because that suits him more, fair enough.

Just the driving experience won't be as fun!
not driven many performance cars in my short life but there is a reason we all stick to these little pocket rockets..and some of us even spend money to modify them for some unknown reason :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Only reason I fitted the megane engine. If I'd just wanted a faster car I would've bought an Audi S3, but for me the Clio was 95% there, and the extra power gave me an extra 4% I was after (I'll never be fully happy, always something which can be improved). It'll take a special 911 to be 'better', bit it will come one day.

Reactions: Pav
Only reason I fitted the megane engine. If I'd just wanted a faster car I would've bought an Audi S3, but for me the Clio was 95% there, and the extra power gave me an extra 4% I was after (I'll never be fully happy, always something which can be improved). It'll take a special 911 to be 'better', bit it will come one day.

Don't mate!

:smiley:

Mrs M would take some mega persuading for that and to be fair, the car is fast enough when you wring its neck anyway in reality. You know me, if I was spending that sort of money it would go on throttle bodies. But that's not to say I don't REALLY want to know what a Megged one feels like. There's also the problem that I know I'll want one!

Regarding your future, I can heartily recommend a drive in a CSL airbox equipped, Alpha N tuned M3 with the CSL steering rack. They're not the prettiest things but they drive very well.

Don't mate!

Mrs M would take some mega persuading for that and to be fair, the car is fast enough when you wring its neck anyway in reality. You know me, if I was spending that sort of money it would go on throttle bodies. But that's not to say I don't REALLY want to know what a Megged one feels like. There's also the problem that I know I'll want one!

Regarding your future, I can heartily recommend a drive in a CSL airbox equipped, Alpha N tuned M3 with the CSL steering rack. They're not the prettiest things but they drive very well.

I love the e46 M3's, and i mean LOVE them. Dark grey with some bbs le mans yummy. But a 911 is an all-time dream car. It would either be an RWB-kitted 964 or a 993 with silly bhp.
964WB_street_1.jpg

7232a795e9c00e406cd0d24fbbc6ff28.jpg

I love the e46 M3's, and i mean LOVE them. Dark grey with some bbs le mans yummy. But a 911 is an all-time dream car. It would either be an RWB-kitted 964 or a 993 with silly bhp.
964WB_street_1.jpg

7232a795e9c00e406cd0d24fbbc6ff28.jpg

Ha haa. I was merely meaning as an interim measure mate! There's no way anything from BMW would get in the way of one of those! I don't really get the 911 to be honest but if I was mega rich the Carrera GT would be in my garage just for the engine.

The RWB ones look great though no doubt. My good mate Tom who does all my bodywork did the paint and body prep for that orange RWB that was built in the UK recently. MAD car!

Ha haa. I was merely meaning as an interim measure mate! There's no way anything from BMW would get in the way of one of those! I don't really get the 911 to be honest but if I was mega rich the Carrera GT would be in my garage just for the engine.

The RWB ones look great though no doubt. My good mate Tom who does all my bodywork did the paint and body prep for that orange RWB that was built in the UK recently. MAD car!

There's just something about the sound of a flat 6, even in turbo form they sound amazing. And in wide arch form I think their road presence is hard to beat. I think I've loved 911's ever since I first saw one as a kid in the 80s.

For me I think owning a Z4 prior spoiled me. I was hoping the Clio would fill the void but it's just feels "cheap" as opposed to the Zed. Not as engaging to drive and not as quick. It also lacks the creature comforts for me. I'm not hating on it for it is a great track car but that's about it. Plus I'm fed up of boy racers fancying a go lol.

There's just something about the sound of a flat 6, even in turbo form they sound amazing. And in wide arch form I think their road presence is hard to beat. I think I've loved 911's ever since I first saw one as a kid in the 80s.

Yeah mate. Hard to disagree. For all I say I don't get the 911, there's no way I'd be unhappy with a 964 RWB. And hearing you loud and clear about the engine note. It's the sound of racing cars of my childhood for me.