Can I use 225/45/R17 tyres

Such a shame you can't find 225/40/17, certainly nothing worth running anyway.

I've been thinking of late to run 215/40/17 next, and use something like a V70A which will have very good grip - should easily better a 225 AD08R. It'd be good for clearance and also drop the gearing a touch, mind that'll be 128.5mph @ 7500 for me!

Reactions: sevenfourate
215 40 17 won't bring any more width to the table, is that correct? From what I've seen, it'll be 40 percent of the width, so the sidewall will be thinner. Is that better for response?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at tyres for some track work. The 225 upsize is very attractive on paper but it does raise the gearing and wheel/tyre weight slightly -- both unhelpful for a NA car. I'm interested if anyone has used V70As as to the size they've used and findings.

215 40 17 won't bring any more width to the table, is that correct? From what I've seen, it'll be 40 percent of the width, so the sidewall will be thinner. Is that better for response?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Correct 215/40 won't bring width over 215/45, although worth noting that often the proper semi's tend to be a bit wider than stated I've noticed when looking at the details. And as said something like a V70A or DZ03G at 215 will out perform a wider AD08R or 595 RSR etc.
You could run them in 225's of course but you could over tyre the car if you haven't the suspension and geo setup for it. The whole goal is always to ensure even tyre heat, so anyone building the ubiquitous track car and dialing in -2.5deg+ and shimming out the beam etc - but isn't using a tyre pyrometer....is kinda pissing in the wind to be frank - though that's another thread!!
Anyway me personally I don't want the increase in rolling radius as all 225's are 45 profile, it's minor but it'd irritate me after I spent a wedge on the FD. So I'm thinking I'd rather stick on 215 and make up for via a compound upgrade to a semi, that said - 215 AD08R's have served me well up to now anyway and are pretty cheap if you know where to buy!

Yes 2nd measurement is % so 40 will be thinner, as for response it depends on the tyre and if it's a stiff sidewall or not. My understanding is load rating is a rough guide but not always the case. Just know that for sure more track oriented and especially semi's will run a stiffer sidewall over anything road biased.

I have had 225/45 17 Cup 2's on my Clio and they rubbed on the bodywork on fast corners on track, as the car is lowered with H&R springs (even withouth spacers). Now I have 215/45 Cup 2's and everything is fine :grinning:

I have had 225/45 17 Cup 2's on my Clio and they rubbed on the bodywork on fast corners on track, as the car is lowered with H&R springs (even withouth spacers). Now I have 215/45 Cup 2's and everything is fine :grinning:

THIS is what would 'worry' me.

Albeit I'm not as low as H+R's, neither do I drive on track. And people with standard Cup springs (Closest to my 15/20mm Eibach ?) and Speedlines have said they've had no issues with 225 width.

Then again - I have 5mm spacers upfront and 10mm stub-axle spacers rear.

So many variants - tbh it seems the only way is trial and error perhaps. Reckon I'm "going for it" next time around.

I have 225/45/17 Nankang NS2R's and are fine, no rubbing without spacers, does touch with 20mm spacers fitted.

I have 225/45/17 Nankang NS2R's and are fine, no rubbing without spacers, does touch with 20mm spacers fitted.
With it touch and without it doesnt ? Make no sense i suppose..
How come[emoji54]

P.s iirc the megane 225 came with wheels like the 197 came with and on 225 width.
If im right then its weird why ours came skinnier .

With it touch and without it doesnt ? Make no sense i suppose..
How come[emoji54]

P.s iirc the megane 225 came with wheels like the 197 came with and on 225 width.
If im right then its weird why ours came skinnier .

Could be the wheels themselves on the Clio could be narrower. And I think @MrIII means when the wheels are pushed further out by spacers...could be fowling on the top of the wheel arch when under load etc, or maybe I'm too tired to understand too lol

Could be the wheels themselves on the Clio could be narrower. And I think @MrIII means when the wheels are pushed further out by spacers...could be fowling on the top of the wheel arch when under load etc, or maybe I'm too tired to understand too lol
Lol
Yeah i also thought about the top arch but i think he meant the inner arch,thats why i was wondering.

Lol
Yeah i also thought about the top arch but i think he meant the inner arch,thats why i was wondering.

You know what I never even considered that....good spot.

Then again...if I'm understanding correctly what spacers do...pushes the wheel further out from the inner of the car...then surely it wouldn't catch on the inner arch??

Wait, but then it might catch the arch when on full lock...

Oh what the hell I give up, brains mushed after 12 hour night shift lol

You know what I never even considered that....good spot.

Then again...if I'm understanding correctly what spacers do...pushes the wheel further out from the inner of the car...then surely it wouldn't catch on the inner arch??

Wait, but then it might catch the arch when on full lock...

Oh what the hell I give up, brains mushed after 12 hour night shift lol
Lollol go to sleep
Yeah it pushes the wheel out = longer distance between the wheel to the inner arches.
If the spacers make the wheels turn differently then it can make sense .(but i dont think it does)

Last edited:
Dont rub at all with out spacers fitted. With the spacers fitted it just catches the Top corner of the bumper and wing where they end.