Cabasse auditorium to normal head unit

Jordanm200

Paid Member
After owning my Clio for about 3 months I've eventually had enough of dealing with the terrible sound quality and 'upgraded' sound system in my car. Does anyone know the sets I need to take to get rid of the cabasse head unit and install a normal one? I will be changing front speakers and tweeters soon too but I feel like the head unit I have is going to restrict the quality of new speakers

Cheers

I've changed the head unit in mine which also had the 'upgraded' cabasse system in. Despite the brains of the factory system being under the drivers seat the ISO connectors are still located in the usual area behind the dash and are simply extended down. So if you unplug the extension cables behind the dash you then have the ISO plug to use with a new head unit. It's quite fiddly to get your hands in without removing the silver trim but that's easy enough to pop off, just be careful you don't scratch/damage it.

The only downsides with fitting an aftermarket head unit are:
1. You will loose the stalk controls (you can buy an adapter but they are about £40 odd and I'm not sure how you'd wire it in).
2. The aerial I believe goes under the drivers seat so if you listen to the radio you'd have to extend this up to the back of the new head unit in the dash - personally I've not bothered as I don't listen to radio.
3. The display won't work, you'll still get the time and temperature but it won't show input/track information. I believe some Alpine head units are capable of outputting to the display with an adapter but again it's quite expensive.

Hi Matt thanks for the reply , I took the head unit out and have found a green connector block that goes into the head unit i tried to trace it back but it seems that like you say it's quiet fidley to get to, where about was your connection, was it tucked behind the heater controls or down towards the start button and hazards? Took it to an a car audio shop to see the options I had the weekend before just seeing this reply and he said he would research it as he couldn't see no standard connector , obviously it's well hidden by Renault

Hi Matt thanks for the reply , I took the head unit out and have found a green connector block that goes into the head unit i tried to trace it back but it seems that like you say it's quiet fidley to get to, where about was your connection, was it tucked behind the heater controls or down towards the start button and hazards? Took it to an a car audio shop to see the options I had the weekend before just seeing this reply and he said he would research it as he couldn't see no standard connector , obviously it's well hidden by Renault

My local audio guy said the same thing, refused to believe there were standard connectors behind the dash so I went to halfords and they guy that did mine did a megane the week before so knew what he was doing. I have posted a link to a stalk adapter on here in the past which works very well and is quite simple to connect. I also got an extension cable for the aerial is tucked behind the lower centre console where the rear cup holder/gearstick is.

My local audio guy said the same thing, refused to believe there were standard connectors behind the dash so I went to halfords and they guy that did mine did a megane the week before so knew what he was doing. I have posted a link to a stalk adapter on here in the past which works very well and is quite simple to connect. I also got an extension cable for the aerial is tucked behind the lower centre console where the rear cup holder/gearstick is.

now i know there are the connections there il go and have another look in a second , ds197 do you remember where about it was hidden? i couldnt see it last time i had it out but at the time i didnt know they were there. il go and have a look a bit later on and if i find it il go and treat myself to a new unit, then il be back on here finding your link and finding me an aerial extension for the odd time i use the radio. if i was to have a dab head unit im guessing id just have to put the small plastic thing onto the windscreen and id have channels does that sound right to you? thanks

As far as I can remember, they were down behind the dash. I took my glovebox out too during the installation as it made placing all the wires including the stalk adapter much easier. It's only a couple of minutes to take the glovebox out but makes the installation that much quicker.

I used a halford aerial extension lead and don't forget that you may also need a megane fascia adapter too as there is usually a gap between the headunit and the dash on these 197s. I can't help in regards to the DAB as my headunit didn't have it but youtube may help. I've also got the link to the stalk adapter I used: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...go-stalk-control-adaptor.html?search=CTSRN005

ETA: Glovebox removal how-to: http://www.clio197.net/threads/how-to-remove-the-glove-box-updated-with-pics.52807/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jordanm200
Won't upload as its too big of an image It's a black connector with yellow blue red green purple and white wires going to it

No worries :smile: Yeap that sounds like the one!

Thanks bro you're a life saver! Do you know what Megane fascia I need? I'm gonna pop to halfords in a bit and get me a head unit and fascia if they have it. Want to get all my glovebox and everything back in tonight as il have to leave at half 5 tomorrow morning and don't fancy everything falling around the car

Reactions: DS197
It'll be a Megane 2 fascia adapter. They can be cheaper online but you'd have to wait for delivery. Also don't forget your patch lead!

Thanks for your help guys , I've gone for a pioneer head unit that has dab built in , just gonna order the dab antenna as I forgot to pick one up at halfrauds, all plugged in and working and can even change the colours to match my interior light for the buttons and the climate control/clocks colour for the screen on it! . I'm not too fussed about stalk controls just yet il sort out the dab antenna and see if I can get signal then worry about the controls after. Thank you for your help guys

Reactions: DS197
Thanks for your help guys , I've gone for a pioneer head unit that has dab built in , just gonna order the dab antenna as I forgot to pick one up at halfrauds, all plugged in and working and can even change the colours to match my interior light for the buttons and the climate control/clocks colour for the screen on it! . I'm not too fussed about stalk controls just yet il sort out the dab antenna and see if I can get signal then worry about the controls after. Thank you for your help guys

Glad to hear it's all working mate, any improvement in sound?