Brown smoke

Beany

Platinum Member
Has anyone experienced brown smoke coming from exhaust... I was tootling down M18 around 4/5k rpm in 4th when all this brown smoke came billowing out! Pulled over and had a gander / under bonnet and no warning signs.. gave car afew revs and limped it home but drove fine and no smoke!

Any help / advice would be great!

Deffo brown smoke Beany ?

Oil burning would tend to turn the smoke white / bluey-grey............water wouldn't hang in the air very long and certainly wouldn't be brown.

ALOT of excess carbon coming out in one go could be seen as or turn the exhaust vapours brown / black type colour. But in a normally driven car - you'd really need to give it some normally to burn off some long deposited old / crusty carboned up lump.

Had you been gunning it before this happened when 'tootling' ?

Reactions: Pav
Pretty sure it was brown... my trousers were when it happened!

Yeah I was giving it some before it happened

probably a collection of rusty water/exhaust smoke when you booted it...have seen it at times from other motors

White smoke is water, black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil.
How is your coolant level looking?

Do wonder whether it was some carbon deposits letting go in that case.....?

When i was a lad i REALLY gave my XR3i some one night and flat out in top at night i looked out the back window and sparks and all sorts were exiting for dear life. Pretty much trailing a plume of light / spark behind me ! Thought she was about to blow......but was just some build up letting go and heating up. Im SURE had it been daylight the exiting fumes would have been brown / dark etc.....

they do surprise us,dont they..it may have been some carbon build up or just rusty water in your system...

It's going into garage next week and ain't moving probs till then!
Ill have a look tomorrow / when it's not dark

- Update -

Car went into garage today very kindly recommended by our very own @Jimmy

Exhaust clamp had managed to work its way loose near the decat allowing the exhaust to move around and knock.. its all fixed now and sounds a lot better! They ran a ODB check and a error DF091 vehicle speed information warning came up? It's been cleared and she's run back to Donny from Leeds and hasn't missed a beat

Reactions: Jimmy
Good news Beany. Sounds like a fairly cheap fix also?

No more Brown smoke I take it?

Great news Chris, really glad they sorted you out, and more importantly that it's put your mind at ease! Back to full health now :smile:

Reactions: Beany