Brake Pads - Mintex or Brembo

matt9566

Paid Member
I'm looking at changing the brake pads all round as the ones on at the minute are pretty rubbish, heard good things about the Mintex ones however I've seen Brembo ones for about £25 more. Any thoughts as to which are the best ? I don't plan any track days just yet and I just do day to day driving with some fast road. Also I've heard about people changing the pins with the pads, I'm assuming this has never been done on my car so would everyone recommend it at the same time ?

Thanks.

If it's just day to day driving then the Brembo will suit your needs better. If the pins haven't been changed before and if you haven't serviced the calipers yourself, the pins will probably need some force to come out. I'd advise buying pins as a back up. You can always send them back if you don't use them.

If it's just day to day driving then the Brembo will suit your needs better. If the pins haven't been changed before and if you haven't serviced the calipers yourself, the pins will probably need some force to come out. I'd advise buying pins as a back up. You can always send them back if you don't use them.

Thanks, where's the best place to get the pins from and which are best to get ? Seen some Mintex pins on ebay for £15 are they any good...

had brembo pads and now i have mintex 1144..the difference is quite significant..the mintex pads bite right from the cold..you will be much better off with mintex pads on a daily basis..got mine from ebay for £60 (fronts)..kept the rear standard though...
hope it helps

£49.68 for Brembo Pads (fronts) from GSF Car Parts and there's a PistonHeads code for 25% off too (PISTON25) bringing the price down to ~£37

Thanks everyone, massive help! [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] Just had a look at the rear ones and they look like some kind of budget ones, Brakefit I think there called. Would you just get some new standard ones to swap them with or just go mintex all round ?

Can't comment on the mintex on the clio but I have them on my daily and I think they are great. Really good initial bite and much more stopping power than standard pads.

The rear ones aren't really crucial on a small fwd car anyway, the do hardly any of the work. On cars like this (clio, 205 gti, 500 abarth, etc) the back brakes are barely needed. All the weight is up front. Notice how pathetic the back brakes are in relation to the front.

Save your money and just get good ones for the front.

I have the Mintex 1144 on my fronts, along with the Mtec discs. I think it's a really good upgrade for not a lot of money and I've been impressed with the performance so far (fast road, no track days).

Thanks everyone, massive help! @Pav Just had a look at the rear ones and they look like some kind of budget ones, Brakefit I think there called. Would you just get some new standard ones to swap them with or just go mintex all round ?
as mentioned above..just go with the fronts..the rears dont do as much..unless you have £60 to spend on the rears...

Looking to spend a few bob in the near future on new discs and pads all round.

Brembo front pads £40 odd as advised earlier but the DS2500 are almost £135! Big old difference, had the DS2500 before on my Cupra Brembros but dont know if I can warrant the cost for a car that hasnt seen a track and spends most of the time sitting pretty on the drive.

Rears seem very expensive for the set - any ideas on the best place to get them?

Yep done - bought a kit - Brembo discs and pads + Mintex accessory pin kit for £131.

Now to source the backs...

Let us know how you get on mate as i'm currently looking at replacing my discs and pads and have no idea what to do for the rears. Possibly MTEC disks with Brembo pads. OEM rear pads are quite expensive though compared to the fronts.