Braided Brake Lines

frazjam

Platinum Member
Just had a quick read through a previouse topic but i dont feel it answered all my questions!

Having not long got the R27 and with my future plans on tracking it im starting to look at the cheaper mods to start of to make her "track worthy"

Now atm i still have standard brake set up and i dont plan on chaning it untill there done! no point if what is there still has life in it and i dont have the money yet, but by the time i need new discs and pads i will upgrade.

Having been a member on cliosport and more recently this braided lines have came up a fair few times!

Do they improve braking performance?
Are they worth the cash?
Is it worthwhile to use braided lines on a standard disc/pad setup?

Cheers

Fraser

Richandgem would be able to answer all your questions as he fitted them on his R27 and 182.

I think the general thining is that when you change the pads and discs it is a good idea to get the lines done at the same time, but also if you are going down this route to change the fluid to a higher temperature rated product. I think the braided lines keep their shape better when the temperature increases from baking frequently hard and therefore prevent the pressure expanding the lines rather than pressing on the pads. So you get a constant peddle feel and less bake fade.

I just had my braking system overhauled by K-Tec Racing and I had the lines replaced with their custom made braided stainless steel version. I also had the front discs replaced with their dimpled black edition discs, the pads on all 4 wheels are now Ferodo Racing DS2500s and the fluid is Carobone Lorraine synthetic DOT4.... The overall result is superb and i can relax in the knowledge that the lines and the fluid will probably outlive the car!!

I say go for it - the brakes on my car are now top notch and there is so much feel from the pedal...

As jase said I've fitted them to both our cars. They don't necessarily improve the actual brake performance, they change the feel and movement of the pedal. Braided lines don't expand as much so the brake pedal doesn't have as much movement in stand and it reduces the spongey feel.

I personally love the hard feel u get from braided lines and it's a worthwhile, cheap mod. It's just a bit of a nightmare to bleed the brakes, I job I hate lol

Oh i do agree with that :smile: for the money the improvement is worth it.

Just tickles me that people get hung up about changing XYZ on the car to make it a track machine... yet Renault have already spent many hours developing it to be good in such a sense from the off.

im not saying its not track worth, id rather just spend some more on it and get here even beter so i can truely abuse her on track

thats why i said "track worthy"

And cheers for the replies guys, think i will upgrade when i can afford :smile: get paid on wednesday lol!

or do you think i should wait until i uprate disc/pads?

im not saying its not track worth, id rather just spend some more on it and get here even beter so i can truely abuse her on track

thats why i said "track worthy"

And cheers for the replies guys, think i will upgrade when i can afford :smile: get paid on wednesday lol!

or do you think i should wait until i uprate disc/pads?

I take it you'll be going to Knockhill.

The standard discs and pads are up to the job...until your used to them.

Your doing the rite thing changing the fluid and lines especially with the biggest stop being 100-105 to 40mph at the hairpin.

Thanks, as soon as i can afford i will get some braided lines, only issue is what ones now lol! and what brake fluid?

Any good quality dot 5.1 or 4 will be fine. And get either the HEL line or the goodridge. The goodridge fit better but cost a little more

you sound like you know yourstuff so i shall pick your brain a little more lol,

Whats the difference? What brand of fluid am i looking for? best place to buy it?

I will probably go for goodridge, cheapest place to buy?

Fluid... go with what you know to be honest, personally ive always used Motul 5.1 and its never failed me.

All decent brands will do the job, although id steer clear of the "Gucci" brands that try to make out theyre something far superior.

I don't think braided lines are really necessary on a new car. although they do expand a little its not significant enough to need changing,if you want track worthiness then the only short fall I find on the stock car is,tyres pads and brake fluid and your better off putting the money towards that.if the car has a lot of miles and is more than 4-5years old then I would say deffo change them! I have had braided lines on all my previous cars but with the 200 we will be upgrading the pad compound and fluid and see how we get on I'm confident this will give the braking confidence the stock setup lacks.

In terms of fluid you need a high spec DOT4 such as motul RBF600/660

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Think im going to go with Goodridge braided lines and superblue dot 4 fluid.

When funds allow ofcourse :smile: