Bored of the 197 ( But will probably keep it. Because they are awesome )

Well I've had it 5 months, made no mods to it. Had a few things fixed and aside from the cold start and flat spot it's running ok.
I had a 172 for 7 years beforehand and I gotta admit, it was way more fun. More raw to drive, s*** off a stick, no cold start ( kangaroo ) problems, more pull all the way through the revs and it sounded better. Never thought I'd be saying but I prefer the 172. Just a go-kart. I'm probably not saying what all you think about them but there hasn't been much novelty for me with this. I'm not after doing mods to it, spending money I won't see back etc.

Oh and Ive just curbed the crappy anthracite wheels! ! Grrrr.

I think the problem with these cars they can put out such different power from standard.. I've got a real strong one and it pulls great and handles like a beast. Mines a 200 though and I really think they're a big improvement over the 197.

Yeah I just don't feel excitement from it at all. It's crap under 3000 revs I think. I think they missed something when they put the 197 together.

Had mine since Feb and I absolutely love it. Unmodified in terms of handling and performance.

The cold start/kangaroo is a bit of a pain but since the cable tie fix/powerflex mounts it's much much better and with ESC off it's fine 95% of the time.

I don't have much in the way of previous 'performance' cars to compare it to (Rover Metro, Ford Focus) but to me it feels a properly quick little car. So much fun to smash it down a B-road and the car gives me so much confidence in the corners. I plan on holding onto it for a few years and even then I think only 250bhp+ can replace it.

To me my 197 is the mutts nuts. Although I do like r26 meganes but I can't afford one. I'm not sure if it would be as much fun anyway. I'd only replace the 197 with a car which I enjoy as much. It is fast and sticks to the road like glue.

I thought it would be a major upgrade from the 172 but I don't feel it is in my opinion. Not unless you start modifying but then after ploughing say a grand or two into it, I'd rather have just bought a 200

Sell it if you don't like it... 1*2s are very cheap now, and lot's of people look to swap them for 197s or 200s, so I'm sure you could do a deal. You don't need to spend two grand to sort 197s out at all, but obviously that's my opinion and I love mine.

I traded my 172 for this. I don't dislike it but I'm not getting the thrill I wanted. Maybe I do need to modify it a little. Where to start? ??

Speed and sound. Is that obvious haha. I think it's crap through low revs and the exhaust is pants.
When I bought it, it seemed to have more pull from the offset and throughout, I had a manifold change and for some reason feel the flat spot even when warm up to around 3/4000 revs.

Last edited:
Did you buy yours as standard Pav and if so can you remember what your first thoughts were?
i did buy it standard..my first thoughts??hmmm..given that i drove crappy cars before this was a massive step forward,(clio 1.2)..
thought the brakes were awful but they needed replacing (discs and pads)..after that all good...
well you wont get a lot in terms of speed tbh..if you are after more noise then get an aftermarket exhaust,some colies and then a remap if you dont want to spend big bucks...
good tires make a lot of diff too..

An exhaust coilies and a remap, aren't I still looking at a grand there?
you are but its not £2,000..plus you dont have to spend it all at once..i've had mine for 2 years now and all my upgrades were a gradual process..not a millionaire to afford to spend too much at once..
but if you are not happy then you are looking to swap it for something else..if that was me i would be looking at a megane 265 cup..

Similar Thread Suggestions