Bonjour fellow RS Clio owners

I bought a 2007 197 last week and i'm eager to learn and potentially modify.
I'm a bit swamped with all the information on this site (not a bad thing), any tips/advice for a newbie?
P.S. Are there any dedicated meets/shows coming up in the East Anglian region? It'd be good to meet with other owners to learn about maintenance and share ideas about how to make these cars even better.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I've been told braided brake lines are a good/cheap first buy, but i'm also looking at getting a new exhaust system (partly because the exhausts are hidden in the diffuser of the 197) - but in doing so will I have to get it remapped to promote the effectiveness of an uprated catalytic converter?

I've been told braided brake lines are a good/cheap first buy, but i'm also looking at getting a new exhaust system (partly because the exhausts are hidden in the diffuser of the 197) - but in doing so will I have to get it remapped to promote the effectiveness of an uprated catalytic converter?

Hi and welcome! - first upgrade would be to pay for access to the whole site, you will hen have access to the how to guides, which sounds exactly what your looking for, also you then have access to the sales section, a great place to keep your eyes open for upgraded parts to.

As Big Ben said tyres are a worthy upgrade and having your brakes cleaned up can can make a huge difference.

Check out the progress threads for inspiration there are lots of different builds from road cars like mine to full on track day beasts.

Reactions: Pav
Welcome to the forum!

There is indeed a lot of information on here, so if you're having difficulty finding something specific, please ask because we are all very happy to help :smile:

A remap isn't a necessity after fitting an exhaust, however it can be beneficial. If you do go down the remap route, then it is best to do as many of the air flow mods as you'd like first, as you will then see the maximum benefit. Also, a lot of the aftermarket exhausts are cat-back, so you would be retaining the OEM cat in most cases anyway.

Thanks for the advice!
I've up-rated the air filter already, but I get what you're getting at there. Definitely going to be doing some performance mods in the upcoming weeks, i'll keep you updated :grin:
Meanwhile, if anyone is in Suffolk and fancies a chat/drive i'd be more than happy.

Reactions: Jimmy

If you are just after some more visible exhaust tips I believe you can buy tips which just go on the end of the standard exhaust. Cheaper and you get to keep the standard exhaust sound if you like that.

That's a tempting option and I might do that as a stop-gap but I've got an itch to modify this car in some way and I would like a bit more noise even though it's a daily.
I'll do a bit more research as I'm very aware I am a novice at this sort of thing.

There are plenty of exhaust options out there, it's totally personal choice what you get.

Personally, I feel there is a very VERY fine line with exhausts on these cars that can make them sound stereotypically 'chavvy'. If that's your thing go for it but that's one of the main reasons I'm sticking with the standard exhaust for now. If I was to get an exhaust (From what i've heard) the miltek one sounds the best to me.

Yep the miltek was (and still is) the go-to for the 182 so i'm sure that'll sound decent.
I've heard putting a 64mm throttle body is good for increasing low-end grunt as it'll increase flow but that doesn't necessarily increase the input throughout the rev range and can leave the engine a bit weak in the mid-range.
What mods have you done to your 197?

I haven't done any real performance mods to my car so far as I can't afford the cost of the increased insurance and I want to be totally clean with the insurance company.

You can check out my progress thread through the link in my signature

Welcome aboard buddy.

Where in East Anglia are you ?

Will be a few from 'this way' [Inc me] going to Grantham for the Xmas meet if you fancy it (Sat 16th) ?

Enjoy the car and your stay here.........

welcome aboard..as above,tyres,brakes,exhaust,suspension etc..
if you pay a £5 this will grant you access to the whole of the site..have fun modding

Welcome aboard, few Anglia members from here.

Where about you based mate?

As above - xmas meal is currently being arranged, which anyone is welcome to come along too!

Similar Thread Suggestions