Blown exhaust

Kyle57

Gold Member
Hi guys picked up a Clio 197, however whilst the car was being delivered from England to Scotland the exhaust blew somewhere manifold related. The garage who sold me the car managed to get a manifold enroute but couldn’t get it fitted in time for me picking it up so have supplied the manifold to be fitted. Does this seem reasonable? Thank you

If they pay for the manifold to be fitted then yes. It wasn't blowing when you bought it but it was when delivered to you, and they've admitted liability by agreeing to supply a new manifold. Therefore it's up to them to get it to an acceptable condition.

If they pay for the manifold to be fitted then yes. It wasn't blowing when you bought it but it was when delivered to you, and they've admitted liability by agreeing to supply a new manifold. Therefore it's up to them to get it to an acceptable condition.
Thanks for the reply mate. They are willing to pay to get it fitted although I’ve still to take it a three hour drive home with a lot of noise.

Thanks for the reply mate. They are willing to pay to get it fitted although I’ve still to take it a three hour drive home with a lot of noise.

In that case if it's unbearable then I'd ask for them to arrange delivery and pay for your travel home. I assume they have some kind of minimal warranty so you could always threaten to hand the car back and walk away.

Out of interest what manifold did they get you? OEM? There is a lot of cost/time involved in fitting the manifold so would expect them to pay for fitment.

Something's not right a dealer big or small will not let a car go until they are happy as it will cost more for someone else to fix it than themselves. This does not sound like a dealer to me or they know there is a lot needed to do as I have changed a manifold myself you need a gasket and a new bolt for the steering column minimum to do it right and the possibility of having to deal with damaging something that seized along the way. But the good side is all the work you can have done when the subframe is out Anti roll bushings track rod ends check for broken springs while the main labour is paid for. Get Renault inverness to do it then it's all covered and make dam sure the replacement manifold is in very good nick it's a job you don't want to do a few months down the line out of your own pocket and if the manifold has gone the engine mountings are prob. on there way out and change them to give the replacement manifold a chance of survival. More expense now but long term your getting a discount on the fitting and worry free.

Reactions: LOCKE and Jimmy
Hi guys thanks for all the replys. Didn’t want to take the car as is but after all the traveling I ended up taking it up the road and straight to the garage where it will be until it’s fixed properly and no expense to me

Hi guys thanks for all the replys. Didn’t want to take the car as is but after all the traveling I ended up taking it up the road and straight to the garage where it will be until it’s fixed properly and no expense to me

Good work Kyle, completely not in your place to be paying out for manifold work! Like you mentioned the receipts show the mounts have been replaced, hopefully the garage will soon have you up and running in your new pride and joy!

Don’t be disappointed by the car sounding significantly quieter once it’s fixed though :wink:

Good work Kyle, completely not in your place to be paying out for manifold work! Like you mentioned the receipts show the mounts have been replaced, hopefully the garage will soon have you up and running in your new pride and joy!

Don’t be disappointed by the car sounding significantly quieter once it’s fixed though :wink:
Thanks Ross. Bit of a headache but hope to be sorted next week and I can start looking at new goodies for the car!

Something's not right a dealer big or small will not let a car go until they are happy as it will cost more for someone else to fix it than themselves. This does not sound like a dealer to me or they know there is a lot needed to do as I have changed a manifold myself you need a gasket and a new bolt for the steering column minimum to do it right and the possibility of having to deal with damaging something that seized along the way. But the good side is all the work you can have done when the subframe is out Anti roll bushings track rod ends check for broken springs while the main labour is paid for. Get Renault inverness to do it then it's all covered and make dam sure the replacement manifold is in very good nick it's a job you don't want to do a few months down the line out of your own pocket and if the manifold has gone the engine mountings are prob. on there way out and change them to give the replacement manifold a chance of survival. More expense now but long term your getting a discount on the fitting and worry free.
Hi sorry to continue this saga but turns out the manifold supplied is a reconditioned one with the new flexis welded in. Do you think it would be okay to fit or should I just buy a toyosport one myself?

Hi sorry to continue this saga but turns out the manifold supplied is a reconditioned one with the new flexis welded in. Do you think it would be okay to fit or should I just buy a toyosport one myself?

That's fine as that's the weak point anyway. As mentioned before I'd still recommend getting Powerflex mounts as they take the strain off the flexis and extend their life. I had the Toyosport one and it is a little louder.

Reactions: Kyle57
That's fine as that's the weak point anyway. As mentioned before I'd still recommend getting Powerflex mounts as they take the strain off the flexis and extend their life. I had the Toyosport one and it is a little louder.
Thanks Sean power flex mounts are already fitted but if it turns out they aren’t for whatever reason I will sure to replace had a look last night and there’s loads of yellow and purple in the engine bay so seems like they’re still there but will be sure to get double checked of course

Thanks Sean power flex mounts are already fitted but if it turns out they aren’t for whatever reason I will sure to replace had a look last night and there’s loads of yellow and purple in the engine bay so seems like they’re still there but will be sure to get double checked of course

yeah the purple and yellow one is the torque mount, the other one to make sure is done is the lower engine mount. These two make a huge difference.

+1 to these mounts.
I actually bought Sean's toyosports manifold from him and fitted these two mounts also. Made a big difference.
Recently had the Powerflex gearbox mount and upper engine mount fitted also just to make it even more solid. Would highly recommend all four mounts if you wanted, although the two Sean has mentioned above are a definite.

Reactions: Sean197
There will be nothing wrong with a repaired manifold it's a used car you were never going to get a new one they are £900 new as long as the flexi's aren't touching each other and the welding is good, for moto cross exhausts to push out dents we would have an arrangement to block off the exhaust both ends with a car tyre valve at one end so we could pressurise the section then with pressure and heat on the dent it would pop out. All highly dangerous if done wrong but what I'm saying is check around the flexi and the manifold ports where it meets the engine for leeks and check the two manifolds side by side to make sure the repaired one is not distorted and long enough after the repair. Someone else can say if the car needs mapped if the Toyo one is fitted (flat spot ) as there is no CAT in that section the second CAT should meet emissions but check that that it is still there and also the question of is the noise level. I fitted a non repaired very low mileage manifold as mine slowly went over the period of three years that's why I was shocked with yours blowing so quickly which could have been the seller fitting bushes and pushing the engine around causing the flexi to snap or pulling on the exhaust section if the mid section was disconnected from the back box and dropped when the mounting clamp was released at the back that's a 5 foot lever bending the flexi's to almost 90 Degrees. Anyway mine made the exhaust noise so quite even more than the 3 years previous I almost wished I did it back then but I never knew how quite it could be. The main thing is that the guys fitting know the pit falls of changing it to lock the steering wheel when dropping the sub frame and not to move the rack until reconnected or the steering angle sensor will be out or damage the airbag clock spring or like some you can turn the wheels more left than right because everything was not centred when connected back up that's why I suggested the Renault dealer doing it.
upload_2018-3-9_13-32-42.png
upload_2018-3-9_13-33-35.png

Little update. Turns out the replacement manifold was repaired terribly And the garage are refusing to fit it. One flexi has a hole where the new weld went through it. Waiting on dealership making a decision on what they’re going to do!

There will be nothing wrong with a repaired manifold it's a used car you were never going to get a new one they are £900 new as long as the flexi's aren't touching each other and the welding is good, for moto cross exhausts to push out dents we would have an arrangement to block off the exhaust both ends with a car tyre valve at one end so we could pressurise the section then with pressure and heat on the dent it would pop out. All highly dangerous if done wrong but what I'm saying is check around the flexi and the manifold ports where it meets the engine for leeks and check the two manifolds side by side to make sure the repaired one is not distorted and long enough after the repair. Someone else can say if the car needs mapped if the Toyo one is fitted (flat spot ) as there is no CAT in that section the second CAT should meet emissions but check that that it is still there and also the question of is the noise level. I fitted a non repaired very low mileage manifold as mine slowly went over the period of three years that's why I was shocked with yours blowing so quickly which could have been the seller fitting bushes and pushing the engine around causing the flexi to snap or pulling on the exhaust section if the mid section was disconnected from the back box and dropped when the mounting clamp was released at the back that's a 5 foot lever bending the flexi's to almost 90 Degrees. Anyway mine made the exhaust noise so quite even more than the 3 years previous I almost wished I did it back then but I never knew how quite it could be. The main thing is that the guys fitting know the pit falls of changing it to lock the steering wheel when dropping the sub frame and not to move the rack until reconnected or the steering angle sensor will be out or damage the airbag clock spring or like some you can turn the wheels more left than right because everything was not centred when connected back up that's why I suggested the Renault dealer doing it.
View attachment 121449
View attachment 121450
Great reply mate cheers. The manifold is cracked at the top where it joins the engine. Sorry for the vague explanation I don’t have a clue about cars unfortunately

No that's good well it not good but at least you checked the vital parts and the garage doing the work is looking out for you. OK the repaired manifold has a weld hole at the flexi and the fitted manifold has cracks at the headers causing the noise while driving it back. What state is the rest of the exhaust in what's missing what's there etc. both cats or none mid box there or not well what I'm getting at is if the CAT's are missing the centre box also then the car was sold to you not road legal MOT wise the manifold for one and if the second CAT is missing then they especially a car trader or dealer so what's the MOT status at the moment because that's going to be a headache further along. You might even find that the guy who sold it has already swapped the manifold and then found that the one they fitted is as bad and they are trying it on.