Big Bens non Clio

GREAT photos Ben. Car sits so well now.
Thanks mate. Sits really well which I'm happy with.
Not entirely happy with how firm the ride is though. Will put it through its paces at a track day at the end of July then decide wether I'll keep it or not.
My instincts tell me it'll be very good on track:wink:

Thanks mate. Sits really well which I'm happy with.
Not entirely happy with how firm the ride is though. Will put it through its paces at a track day at the end of July then decide wether I'll keep it or not.
My instincts tell me it'll be very good on track:wink:

Yeah mate, I've been seeing the "tempted" posts you've made about the Mk 4! Can absolutely see why it's a very strong draw. Especially how tuneable they are.

As for the firm ride, I can understand why that's an issue sometimes but I'm sure the good outweighs the bad!

:smile:

I've been seeing the "tempted" posts you've made about the Mk 4! Can absolutely see why it's a very strong draw.

:smile:

Mk4 lovers 'coming out today Mes and Ben :smile:

I've NEVER knocked the MK4. I've been in one a reasonable amount. I love its capability. And the interior huge amounts.

Just too many doors and not enough gear sticks for me personally and my limited use: where I have a family car and two wheeled toy or two for those purposes.....

Especially bearing in mind the differential in price for me to change right now to get a few number plates newer.

I am a small car man though - and would relish a more aggressive 3 door version :smile:

But: I would never knock the car or anyone who owns one. Extremely capable machines. Minus some (very important to me) visual (?) wow-factor.....

Anyway Ben: You'd eluded to your springs and your reservations - but never fully told the story until now.

Bone jarring on the road ??

Reactions: ///M
Mk4 lovers 'coming out today Mes and Ben :smile:

I've NEVER knocked the MK4. I've been in one a reasonable amount. I love its capability. And the interior huge amounts.

Just too many doors and not enough gear sticks for me personally and my limited use: where I have a family car and two wheeled toy or two for those purposes.....

Especially bearing in mind the differential in price for me change right now to get a few number plates newer.

I am a small car man though - and would relish a more aggressive 3 door version :smile:

But: I would never knock the car or anyone who owns one. Extremely capable machines. Minus some (very important to me) visual (?) wow-factor.....

Anyway Ben: You'd eluded to your springs and your reservations - but never fully told the story until now.

Bone jarring on the road ??
It's a quick as your even with an old man driving a MK4

Spam off!!

Clarification time: @sevenfourate @///M
I do love the way the mk4 gets down the road and the interior is a much nicer place than my 197. However on looks alone I wouldn't buy one. Not aggressive looking enough and too similar to every other Clio spec, a la fiesta ST imo.

I do believe with some suitable mods they can look and sound much better which is what I'd be doing straightaway if I got one.

@Chris has a car that I'd like to own next. Looks good and goes better!

Ultimately it's about the driving experience for me. Once inside the car I can't see my twin pipes, lowered ride height nice wheels etc etc...
I just want to drive the arse off it:grinning:

Having said all that I think Mes got the wrong end of the stick when I mentioned earlier that if I didn't enjoy my trackday I'd be looking to change. I actually meant to change the suspension not the car:tearsofjoy:

Current suspension is too hard for my everyday liking and can become tiresome on our crappy British roads.
I have a feeling that it will excel on track which will give me food for thought as to wether I keep the suspension as it is or not.

Will be keeping my lovely 197 for the foreseeable future. At least until 2019

Cheers Ben

Last edited:
Spam off!!

Clarification time: @sevenfourate @///M
I do love the way the mk4 gets down the road and the interior is a much nicer place than my 197. However on looks alone I wouldn't buy one. Not aggressive looking enough and too similar to every other Clio spec, a la fiesta ST imo.

I do believe with some suitable mods they can look and sound much better which is what I'd be doing straightaway if I got one.

Ultimately it's about the driving experience for me. Once inside the car I can't see my twin pipes, lowered ride height nice wheels etc etc...
I just want to drive the arse off it:grinning:

@Chris has a car that I'd like to own next. Looks good and goes better than mine!

Having said all that I think Mes got the wrong end of the stick when I mentioned earlier that if I didn't enjoy my trackday I'd be looking to change. I actually meant to change the suspension not the car:tearsofjoy:

Current suspension is too hard for my everyday liking and can become tiresome on our crappy British roads.
I have a feeling that it will excel on track which will give me food for thought as to wether I keep the suspension as it is or not.

Will be keeping my lovely 197 for the foreseeable future. At least until 2019

Cheers Ben

Well I feel MUCH better now! :smiley:

As for your comments about driving experience, that is everything to me and absolutely why we're in a 197 and not one of the new ones. The Mk 4 is definitely a significantly better place to sit, certainly on longer journeys. But when it comes to thrills behind the wheel, I'm lucky enough to have driven some pretty exotic cars and there isn't much at any price that gives you the fun / ability / downright silliness that we have from these cars.

Good to know you're hanging onto it for a least a little bit longer mate.

Reactions: Chris and Big Ben
thought you were thinking of selling from Mes's post..c'mon Ben you can manage the stiffness,cant you??:smileycat:
get it tracked to see how different the suspension set up is...

Reactions: Big Ben