Big Bens non Clio

Right, as I'm literally waiting for paint to dry I'll let you all know my plans for 2017...

First up is some maintenance:

Have an annoying whine when cold that is almost certainly a pulley on the alternator. So new alternator coupled with new lower ball joints all being done by Terry at Two Techs. Ball joints are still ok but no idea when they were last done so biting the bullet!

Steering wheel retrimmed and fitted by Royal Steering Wheels.
New RS gear knob.
Some new car mats have been ordered off eBay. Different colour to match leather seats.

Still desperately want some B14's to improve my trackdays. Hopefully with some Compbrake adjustable top mounts from @tombate911

Maybe a gearbox refurb depending on trackday abuse:disrelieved:

And as many trackdays as the missus will let me get away with!

Last edited:
The grilles look so much better when they've been repainted and freshened up! So easy to do as well!

The plans sound good Ben - may as well get the ball joints done, preventative maintenance is always preferable to an unexpected bill down the line!

Happy new year to you!

Reactions: Big Ben
Right, as I'm literally waiting for paint to dry I'll let you all know my plans for 2017...

First up is some maintenance:

Have an annoying whine when cold that is almost certainly a pulley on the alternator. So new alternator coupled with new lower ball joints all being done by Terry at Two Techs. Ball joints are still ok but no idea when they were last done so biting the bullet!

Steering wheel retrimmed and fitted by Royal Steering Wheels.
New RS gear knob.
Some new car mats have been ordered off eBay. Different colour to match leather seats.

Still desperately want some B14's to improve my trackdays. Hopefully with some Compbrake adjustable top mounts from @tombate911

Maybe a gearbox refurb depending on trackday abuse:disrelieved:

And as many trackdays as the missus will let me get away with!

Some list that Ben !!

I see your having alternator done at the same time - but for reference: Do you know the price for the two lower ball joints supplied and fitted ! Only out of interest as such - but its obviously something in the back of all of our minds..............

Your recent new seats coupled with the steering wheel re-trim and a shiny new know will really freshen up the interior and driving experience when all done. You going for Silver stitching / something to match the seats or replicating the stock wheel colours.......?

Your gonna be a busy man updating this thread :smile:

Some list that Ben !!

I see your having alternator done at the same time - but for reference: Do you know the price for the two lower ball joints supplied and fitted ! Only out of interest as such - but its obviously something in the back of all of our minds..............

Your recent new seats coupled with the steering wheel re-trim and a shiny new know will really freshen up the interior and driving experience when all done. You going for Silver stitching / something to match the seats or replicating the stock wheel colours.......?

Your gonna be a busy man updating this thread :smile:
Will keep me busy for sure...

I've already purchased the ball joints for £156 and been quoted 2hrs a side @ £50 per hour
It will probably work out a little bit cheaper as I'm doing it same time as alternator.

Steering wheel likely to be smooth black leather on bottom and sides with silver leather top section to match seats. Blue leather top band with silver stitching :smiley:

Reactions: DS197
They look a whole load fresher buddy ! GOOD mornings work in the 'spray-shop'. You surely cant leave the bottom one now though........ :smile:

I got my springs recently from Poland. You'll have no worries with that seller and their sales record IMO. I initially tried to buy my RS knob from the seller you've linked to. I made a few offers (Upto just under £70 without post and all got refused). I then came across one cheap elsewhere........

You might possibly save a £5 therefore (And get for £70 ????)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-GENUI...620837?hash=item2ed1a31265:g:pYcAAMXQDrJR5thh

Nice one, Ben, the grilles have come out really well. Such a cheap and easy mod, but has such a big impact, especially if they had been a bit tired beforehand...as mine were!

Yeah lovely job Ben! Bottom grills are a pain in the backside so have fun with that!

I can't give the b14s enough praise so I'd bump them high up your priority list :smile:

Love the matts, same as mine apart from mine are white around edges.

Be careful of the leather edge near where the clutch pedal sits, my shoe grazes the edge when I press the clutch and it's ripped the leather :worried:

Last edited:
Love the matts, same as mine apart from mine are white are edges.

Be careful of the leather edge near where the clutch pedal sits, my shoe grazes the edge when I press the clutch and it's ripped the leather :worried:
Thanks for the heads up. I've had a set of these before and been quite impressed with how long they last

The mats are very nice Ben, they look great! Hopefully you'll hear back soon on the steering wheel!

The mats are very nice Ben, they look great! Hopefully you'll hear back soon on the steering wheel!
Thanks Jimmy. In the photo the Renault Sport logo has come out white from the flash on my camera when in fact it's grey like the outside edges!

Will chase Steering Wheel soon. Give them a few days grace after the Christmas shut down:wink:

Reactions: Jimmy
Royal are notoriously difficult to get hold of mate but stick with it, excellent work at a really fair price. He's only difficult to contact because his work is so good. He'll be having a go at ours some time this year probably.

Worth the wait!