Big Bens non Clio

Rolling road meet this morning. Not good.

Day started well with a meet with @nutnutwelshman for breakfast then travelled over to Surrey Rolling Road. @DS197 was there so had a bit of banter so far so good.

"Who wants to go first"? Everyone backs away, so what the heck I'll have a bash.

174.9 BHP and 144lb/ft torque:weary:

Shoot me.

Dyno guy says can't really feel VVT kicking in and car is running too rich. Not sure I trust his judgement but figured I'd see everyone else run and then make my mind up.

Davinder made about 184 iirc then other 197's made 185 and 192 so rollers are a little low maybe IMO.

What do I do now is my biggest problem. Spoke to Andy at Engine Dynamics who mapped my car recently and he can't get it on the rollers for weeks he's so busy. Car runs and drives fine but I have a track day at Snetterton on Monday that I don't really fancy now. Don't like having car not 100%

Anyone think of what could be up? I know there could be dozens of reasons...

Camshaft sensor seems to be a relatively cheap place to start. Other than that I'm lost.

Sorry if I've bored anyone

Ben

Rolling road meet this morning. Not good.

Day started well with a meet with @nutnutwelshman for breakfast then travelled over to Surrey Rolling Road. @DS197 was there so had a bit of banter so far so good.

"Who wants to go first"? Everyone backs away, so what the heck I'll have a bash.

174.9 BHP and 144lb/ft torque:weary:

Shoot me.

Dyno guy says can't really feel VVT kicking in and car is running too rich. Not sure I trust his judgement but figured I'd see everyone else run and then make my mind up.

Davinder made about 184 iirc then other 197's made 185 and 192 so rollers are a little low maybe IMO.

What do I do now is my biggest problem. Spoke to Andy at Engine Dynamics who mapped my car recently and he can't get it on the rollers for weeks he's so busy. Car runs and drives fine but I have a track day at Snetterton on Monday that I don't really fancy now. Don't like having car not 100%

Anyone think of what could be up? I know there could be dozens of reasons...

Camshaft sensor seems to be a relatively cheap place to start. Other than that I'm lost.

Sorry if I've bored anyone

Ben

Oh Dear Ben. Not the best morning ever ! Bored - most definitely not.

That's near spot on 10% down on BHP and torque from your Engine Dynamics re-map session. A sizeable chunk.

Could you really not notice ?

A suggestion for your woes is not really my area of expertise. And without being rude - if you didnt notice the drop - if you put new parts on: without having a Rolling Road to-hand - would you notice or know if they've made any difference in regard of gaining that back ?

Not being a twat Ben. Far-far from it. Just genuinely wondering how you'll know if you've made a difference, where and when to start and stop chucking money and parts at it etc

Plumbing it in to a Dyno / testing the engine / using CLIP / OBD diagnostic tools etc and getting some cold-hard facts would be a 'sure-fire' way you'd think. And you know as well as i that Andy would be a trusted and reliable start-point :smile:

Staying tuned for everyone elses suggestions and fingers crossed its a simple to fix problem.

GOOD LUCK.

Oh Dear Ben. Not the best morning ever ! Bored - most definitely not.

That's near spot on 10% down on BHP and torque from your Engine Dynamics re-map session. A sizeable chunk.

Could you really not notice ?

A suggestion for your woes is not really my area of expertise. And without being rude - if you didnt notice the drop - if you put new parts on: without having a Rolling Road to-hand - would you notice or know if they've made any difference in regard of gaining that back ?

Not being a twat Ben. Far-far from it. Just genuinely wondering how you'll know if you've made a difference, where and when to start and stop etc

Plumbing it in to a Dyno / testing the engine / using CLIP / OBD diagnostic tools etc and getting some cold-hard facts would be a 'sure-fire' way you'd think. And you know as well as i that Andy would be a trusted and reliable start-point :smile:

Staying tuned for everyone elses suggestions and fingers crossed its a simple to fix problem.

GOOD LUCK.
I've had my suspicions for a few weeks. @Dystant will vouch for that

Reactions: Dystant
I've had my suspicions for a few weeks. @Dystant will vouch for that

Apart from the social aspect - i did kind of wonder why you were going for a rolling road / power-run day. Just aswell you did now !

I wasnt questioning your seat-of-the-pants Dyno Ben. Was genuinely asking how you'd know it was back to normal if you hadnt noticed the loss in the first place.

But you clearly had by the sounds of it :smile:

Did Andy give much away ?

Reactions: Big Ben
Good to see you again today Ben. Having had a quick look on the net, SRR rollers are often referred to the heartbreakers, no idea why :think:

Apart from the camshaft sensor, it may be worth looking at the VVT solenoid and as @sevenfourate said, running a diagnostic test using CLIP. Was your dephaser replaced when you got the belts done? A faulty dephaser would leave a fault code which CLIP will pick up. Live diagnostics would also help as it would show how much your timing is being advanced/retarded. I'll let you know if I find anything else that may help you get to the bottom of this mate.

Andy was honest.... Could be anything!

Wants to put it on his rollers and do some data logging and start from there.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Had the other guys who got theirs Rolling roaded ever been anywhere else for comparisons sake ?

Were they disappointed with their results compared to any tuning / mods they'd done ?

I thought Engine Dynamics figures were known to be quite "fair". Very middle of the road / average.

Another set of rollers giving figures 10% down from theirs (Bearing in mind we know of a couple of places that often have claims alot higher than Engine Dynamics) is quite some difference...............

Good to see you again today Ben. Having had a quick look on the net, SRR rollers are often referred to the heartbreakers, no idea why :think:

Apart from the camshaft sensor, it may be worth looking at the VVT solenoid and as @sevenfourate said, running a diagnostic test using CLIP. Was your dephaser replaced when you got the belts done? A faulty dephaser would leave a fault code which CLIP will pick up. Live diagnostics would also help as it would show how much your timing is being advanced/retarded. I'll let you know if I find anything else that may help you get to the bottom of this mate.
Was nice to catch up with you Davinder. Good shout on the VVT solenoid.

My local garage have ordered me a camshaft sensor which he will fit for £90 all in. So that's a definite. He'll also plug it into his reader and see what faults are showing before and after. Don't think it's a CLIP though.

Really sorry to hear about your disappointment Ben, I feel for you.

So am I reading right in that the Dyno run confirmed your suspicions, or has this crept up on you and was a surprise??

Really sorry to hear about your disappointment Ben, I feel for you.

So am I reading right in that the Dyno run confirmed your suspicions, or has this crept up on you and was a surprise??
Bit of both Jimmy. I'm always a bit paranoid about my car so any doubts I try to push to the back of my mind. I did have some doubts but 10-12% only really noticeable when pushing hard. I've only done 400 miles this year so hard to know when things changed!

Driving home though I'm convinced it's lacking power now that someone's said it:worried:

I hear you on the paranoia Ben...

If you'd had doubts already, fair enough that the dyno run has confirmed things to a point, it's just a shame that what was supposed to be a fun day out ended up like it did. With you mentioning that you didn't fully trust the dyno guy's judgement, I was hoping that what he said wasn't in turn clouding your judgement - in other words, he's not one of the 'trusted' tuners, hence his thoughts might not be grounded in experience of these cars...?

I hear you on the paranoia Ben...

If you'd had doubts already, fair enough that the dyno run has confirmed things to a point, it's just a shame that what was supposed to be a fun day out ended up like it did. With you mentioning that you didn't fully trust the dyno guy's judgement, I was hoping that what he said wasn't in turn clouding your judgement - in other words, he's not one of the 'trusted' tuners, hence his thoughts might not be grounded in experience of these cars...?
I would never let the guy work on my car Jimmy fact...

But other 197's were pulling much more power on the same day so can't deny I'm behind.

Having spent a lot of money recently on induction, exhaust and a custom remap I'm dissappointed to not have been at least their equal. Something is amiss.

Reactions: Jimmy
Ben.

Dead sorry to hear all this mate. I've been reading between the lines in your posts and thinking I've been detecting you falling out of love with the car a bit. I'm sure this now on top either hasn't helped at all, or confirmed something that's been bubbling away in the background.

You're at a make or break point here I think. Keep and sort, or make good and get rid.

If it's the latter, do it quick like a band aid!

If it is former, which I'm hoping it is, personally, I'd get it up to Paul in Leeds and see what he says. It's not really that far, nice easy run, and at least you know you'll be getting the absolute top notch advice.

Whichever way it goes, I hope it's an easy run to the outcome. If you've got stuff to fix, look at it as an opportunity...

Best of luck mate.

I would never let the guy work on my car Jimmy fact...

But other 197's were pulling much more power on the same day so can't deny I'm behind.

Having spent a lot of money recently on induction, exhaust and a custom remap I'm dissappointed to not have been at least their equal. Something is amiss.

Fair point Ben, thanks for clarifying. I really hope that you can get to the bottom of it bud, best of luck.

Reactions: Big Ben
Terrible news mate, and as you mentioned you've had your suspicions for a while now of lack of power.

Not sure what to suggest though unfortunately, unless you're getting error codes somewhere it's gonna be a case of 'guess the faulty part' and replace them one by one :worried: