Better late than never...thought i should introduce myself.

Nick197RS

POTM Winner - January 2017
Platinum Member
Hello chaps,
Im a newbie to the forum but been using it for a few weeks to gather info and make some purchases.
My name is Nick, from Lancashire. A month ago i decided to buy a Clio 197 Lux in black. It required some work so i got it for a steal!
So far it has been in bits on the driveway :think:
I have however managed to complete a tom tom nav conversion into it from a 2012 clio. (Nightmare)

It had worn Lower Swivel Joints and upon removal of the hubs etc, it seemed everything was seized...
so new abs sensor, cv joint, anti twist link and track rod end later it should now be sorted (until i begin the next side)
I have bought cup springs and dampers off a friendly chap on here to improve the handling.
The plan is to replace everything that is a common wearing item, mint the bodywork and interior.
And use it for some track days and maybe race it next season in a hot hatch class.

So far ive found this forum extremely useful and full of fantastic information, and some very friendly people!
Great bunch (im used to the idiots you find in the vw scene)

I will get a pic posted up later of my clio and some progress of the suspension refresh etc
cheers :blush:

Last edited:
Nice introduction my friend and nice to 'meet you'.

With your efforts: it sounds like your car is going to be fab.

Look forward to some pics.....and sounds like you need to start your own progress thread.

Enjoy....

Welcome along! Blimey sounds like you've been very busy!

Definitely have to get some pics up as you say and get a progress thread started so we can follow your progress :smiley:

Welcome along. Car sounds like it's going to be great. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Its not too bad to do if your good at tracing wires and soldering etc.
The annoying part is choosing what headunit to use (oem) i got the stuff from a 2012 clio, unfortunatly the headunit sends and recieves a signal to the clocks which matches vin number. this cant be done with the 197 clocks so you have to change to the 200 clocks and have it plugged in and reprogrammed. (can be done with clip tool.)

to do it you need:
tomtom unit
multimedia control box
remote and sd card
headunit (aftermarket can be used, but need one with sub display out + a adaptor lead. best option - alpine APF D102RE)
dash wiring loom from donor car (different connections)
gps aerial
stalk controls (if your car doesnt already have them)

i have a document from a french forum which i converted to english and it has the plug diagrams and labels which makes it so so much easier to do!
if you need any advice/ help, give me a shout. i would be more than happy to help people do this.
My clio has the carbasse system (i think that is what it is called) at first i thought oh **** so iso connections. but i soon realised the ISO connections are there behind stereo. they are plugged into the extension lump to the gubbins under the drivers seat.
So if you have this system and you want to install an aftermarket unit then i can advise on this too!

Reactions: DS197
Thankyou, its a fantastic forum. Is there any info on membership pack times scales by the way?
cheers

Thankyou, its a fantastic forum. Is there any info on membership pack times scales by the way?
cheers

@Nik deals with the membership packs and sending them out. They're usually sorted fairly swiftly. The tag will alert him, however feel free to drop him a line to ask about it.

Ahh excellent! I bought my Clio from Leyland! Are there any meets in the area?

a sat nav conversion in a track/race car ... that's a bit unusual. :smile:
welcome. looking forward to some pics and your plans to getting it track ready.

Haha yes but it will be used on the road. And handy for directions getting to circuits
And I wanted an oem look!

hola..always great to hear that a new member enjoys using this forum..we a re a bit crazy bunch but I think thats a good thing..
enjoy your car and put some pics up :thumb: