Best budget suspension setup for track use?

Vladikar

Platinum Member
I've been through quite a few pages trying to see more info on this topic but can't quite find a definitive answer.

I'm currently in the process of doing a meg conversion on my 197 and wondered what the best suspension setup was without coilovers - right now I don't have the budget for them but may do in the future so wondered what others had done in my position?

The car will be track use only so any advice would be great. Cooksports have come up a few times and seem a good product at a reasonable price?

Reactions: MashedPotato
Coilovers are the only way for a full on track car. Might be worth just saving for them rather than going with lowering springs?

@Mossy has a set of new Spax Coilovers in the for sale section at a reasonable price

I'd say either H&R springs or Cooksport springs, both with cup dampers. Both seem to get good reviews.

as above..if you can,save up for a coilover kit..will deliver what you are after especially with a meg engine in...but if your budget doesnt allow you to go for colies,then the cup dampers with some more aggressive springs should be fine

Save up for the coilovers, if your having a car with 250bhp+ don't try and use all that on a setup designed for a car with 200...

Reactions: Pav
Thanks all - seems pretty unanimous for coilies! This is my first dedicated track car so still learning quite a bit. A friend of mine has ASTs and they have transformed the car but he didn't rate his spax ones too much but he knows how cars much better than I do. For now I'll stay standard and look at my coilie options then. I'm assuming the choices are KW, Spax, ASTs... any others I've missed?

H&R does a coilover set for the clio as well.
oh, and öhlins too ... probably even more expensive than AST's. :smile:

KW also do 3 ranges.

1,3 and clubsports.

For light track use and daily then the b14s are the one to have. If it were me I'd save for ASTs for a dedicated track car.

Reactions: Pav
You don't need coilovers for track. At all. Especially if it makes the car worse on the road.

I've ran Cup dampers and H&R springs for years, on both road and track.

That said, coilovers will be better but you don't need them. B14s are a great option.

The B14 is up for a reasonable price on Daemon Tweaks I just ordered a set. cant really get more for the money at the moment i dont think.