bad handling sorted

(hence the rear diffuser) show only mate.
the diffuser would have to be between 4 and 8 foot long to start the air movment.
race cars would have a flat bottom leading to the diffuser,not just 1 foot sorry but all the diffuser does is look good.
you are griping better at speed because you are generating more force to the tyres on the outerside.

(hence the rear diffuser) show only mate.
the diffuser would have to be between 4 and 8 foot long to start the air movment.
race cars would have a flat bottom leading to the diffuser,not just 1 foot sorry but all the diffuser does is look good.
you are griping better at speed because you are generating more force to the tyres on the outerside.

Least you say it looks good lol :smiley:

Im still not too sure on whole 'faster = more grip' argument. It just dosen't make sense to me!

I kinda find all this hard to belive personally. I'd say it was more down to driving technique, not cornering speed... Think about it, why would going faster give you more grip??

i agree, the way we drive has a fair bit to do with it, the way you come into a corner, the tyres, the road surface, the road conditions, heat of the tyres, and the way the car is set up. ther are many factors to consider.

lifting off in a corner is not the way a car is ment to be driven anyway, slow in, fast out, set your self up for the corner, then roll the power on steady,

no offence to anyone btw:biggrin:

Logic needs to be applied in these situations, I'm not saying the rear diffuser has no effect but it's not a magic wand. I demonstrated to someone not so long back how approaching corners in different ways gives different results. People are always keen to blame the car and not their driving.

Logic needs to be applied in these situations, I'm not saying the rear diffuser has no effect but it's not a magic wand. I demonstrated to someone not so long back how approaching corners in different ways gives different results. People are always keen to blame the car and not their driving.

The changes aren't only for visual impact. That diffuser really works, and can add up to 70kg of downforce. The Renault engineers haven't only focused on the things you can see, either. From the specially created double-axis strut front suspension, designed to eliminate torque steer, to the hidden twin exhaust tailpipes - tucked away so they don't counteract the diffuser's effect - the 197 is full of evidence that the team behind it was truly passionate.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/68538/renaultsport_clio_197.html#ixzz0ijMR8rdF

new i had heard something about how much downforce the diffuser makes.

How the diffuser works:
The diffuser itself does not actually create downforce - it works in conjunction with other aerodynamic components to reduce drag and lift. The upward front-to-back angle of the rear diffuser causes the fast-moving underbody air to expand and slow down. This slower air is then better able to meet up with the slow outside air, thus reducing the amount of turbulence behind the car. The vertical fins are there to make sure that the air at the rear left and right sides do not disturb the function of the diffuser.

When is a diffuser effective:
As a general guideline, the rear diffuser needs to be angled upward at least 10 degrees. In order for a rear diffuser to be effective, the air that travels under the car from the front needs to be as fast and smooth as possible. Slow-moving, turbulent air is not going to help a diffuser do its job.

In order to create the smooth air that the diffuser needs, it is recommended that the car have a flat undertray (a.k.a. underbody) that covers most of the uneven surfaces and components on the cars bottomside. However, production road cars typically do not have, or only partially have, an area that is covered by a flat undertray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 foot diffuser and no rear spoiler,sorry boys.just for show.
my corsa vxr diffuser is at 45 degress.lol again just for show.

Last edited:
When did this become does a diffuser work lol, as to if it does or not is up to you, but for the people saying about lift off over steer, off course the back end is going to kick out if you are going at speed and stop the gas peadal! I done it all the time in my 1.4 polo lol.

Also with the camber, more camber you have on a car the better for cornering, as has been said with body roll it puts more of tyre into contact with ground. Also there will only be a little camber on the Clio as it is a solid rear beam! Only way to get more etc is with camber shims. Also if anyone thinks they have stupid amounts off camber then I'd be off to a trusted garage to check allignment!

All my own opinion

Ian

Last edited:
As far as im concerned diffusers do sod all for downforce.

The equation for downforce alone requires an attack angle, surface area of the aerofoil (span and height to be precise) and other odds and sods to do with things like air density/velocity.

A diffuser negates that straight away as it does have an effective leading edge.

To me they work more around the ground effect principles.

Wether it does anything or not, it looks pretty sweet :smiley:

I'm not saying that when you go faster into a bend that you don"t under or oversteer, but that without noticing it you use another technique when taking a bend fast then slow