Any way to mod stock tweeter grilles to fit taller tweeters?

tchalikias

Paid Member
So I got myself a set of 2 speakers and 2 tweeters (Pioneer's plug and play TS-131Q) and went about installing them.

Having owned a Megane II before my 200, I knew how hard it is to remove the damn tweeter grilles.

However, with the Clio it was even harder. And after I removed them, guess what - the stock tweeters were of the fake variety - just 2 pieces of plastic! Thankfully the wiring was present, so in went the Pioneers.

But then, you guessed it, the tweeter grilles can't snap fully back into place - apparently there's a plastic tab underneath the tweeters that prevents them from falling into the dashboard. The Pioneer tweeters are 2-3mm taller than their stock fake counterparts, thus the grilles are not flush with the dashboard :worried:

Thankfully they don't rattle, they just look a bit ugly, popped up like this. Is there an easy way to mod them so that they fit properly? Perhaps the easiest solution is to cut the plastic tabs underneath the tweeters. Has anyone done this?

:s Mine fitted fine, are you sure you don;t need to just rotate the tweeter 180 degrees?

Took a couple of photos today of how my tweeter grilles look after replacing the fake tweeters with the Pioneer ones:

aZUbNJL.jpg

fgOLsB7.jpg

Grumpy, do your tweeter grilles look the same? Or are they more flush with the dashboard?

I'm trying to decide whether taking them out and trying reinserting them again is worth the trouble... Thankfully, they don't rattle (yet), even though there is some play when you move them around.

I fitted the same tweeters to my sons 197 and they sit exactly the same as that. Whatever I have tried I can't get them better and they just won't push down any more.
Like you, I am annoyed that they don't sit quite right but it was so awkward fitting them I don't want to go through it again and risk breaking the covers.

I have the same speakers and both of mine look like that. I thought it was just me being an idiot! I actually chipped/cracked one of mine when I was removing the old tweeters. D'oh!

How easy are they to replace? I have some new ones in the house though I dont know if we have real, fake or no tweeters at all.

I found it to be difficult to remove the grille. It's hard to unclip them.

Really? I took them out in 5 seconds when I had them sprayed. I wouldn't say it's that difficult and that comes from someone who sucks in technical stuff! I just pulled them out really...

To reply to OP, every single person who fitted this Pioneer kit had this issue. You are not doing anything wrong there, this is a fault in the product's design I guess, and this is Pioneer we are talking about...

Is easy to remove the cover. Removing it without breaking it is another thing altogether.

If you rotate the tweeter 180 degrees surely the sound wont leave it in the way it was intended.

durr_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Rotate it 180 degrees around the vertical axis, rather than the horizontal is waht I meant obviously :wiz: