Any ideas????

My 197 seems really weak, lights keep dimming when stationary and pulling away I need to give it about 2k revs just to not stall it! Anyone had simular problem or ideas on the solution? Thanks in advance.

Did buy the car recently it had been on the forecourt a month? Did lean towards the battery but would that explain the poor revs?

I am having the exact same issues as you are. The lights keep dimming and then when you are pulling away, if feels like it is going to stall and jerks.

In for ideas on this :smile: I think mine does the same thing.....it's hard to explain really.....when I go to pull off my driveway first thing in the morning, the front lights dim very slightly for a split second and the rev's do sort of drop/not change, and the engine feels like it will stall, but then sort of shoots up again (not at extreme as 2k rpm) This is using very light throttle and there's no issue after the initial 3-4 feet once I head off up the road.

I always figured it was the Clio's (crappy/frankly bull****) cold start issues, although I can't explain the slight dim/flicker of the lights.

In for ideas on this :smile: I think mine does the same thing.....it's hard to explain really.....when I go to pull off my driveway first thing in the morning, the front lights dim very slightly for a split second and the rev's do sort of drop/not change, and the engine feels like it will stall, but then sort of shoots up again (not at extreme as 2k rpm) This is using very light throttle and there's no issue after the initial 3-4 feet once I head off up the road.

I always figured it was the Clio's (crappy/frankly bull****) cold start issues, although I can't explain the slight dim/flicker of the lights.

Exactly the same issues that I am having. Glad I am not the only one.

Im the same too ... might just be a cold start thing .. mine seems to like to bork like everyone elses then i try to recover with revs and it like to kangaroo down my street so i look like a right wally[emoji38]

Im the same too ... might just be a cold start thing .. mine seems to like to bork like everyone elses then i try to recover with revs and it like to kangaroo down my street so i look like a right wally[emoji38]

Mistake is increasing the throttle I think - in my experience this only makes it worse.

If you're slower on the clutch, and wait until the clutch is almost all the way up before applying too much throttle you can more or less eliminate this issue completely. There's a bit of a knack to it, but you do get used to it.

I also found using Shell V Power helped both the Kangaroo and cold start driving.

I have similar too on a morning - slowing for the first t-junction the lights dim a bit. It's fine though once it's been going a minute or two. I assumed additional load on the battery - lights, blowers etc.

Mistake is increasing the throttle I think - in my experience this only makes it worse.

If you're slower on the clutch, and wait until the clutch is almost all the way up before applying too much throttle you can more or less eliminate this issue completely. There's a bit of a knack to it, but you do get used to it.

I also found using Shell V Power helped both the Kangaroo and cold start driving.

Yeah im starting to get the hang of it now, ive only had the car 2 weeks and ive come from a fabia vrs diesel so its a little bit different haha! :d

Running on Tesco Momentum at the minute, cheaper and its 99 octane :thumbup1:

Running on Tesco Momentum at the minute, cheaper and its 99 octane :thumbup1:

I ran Momentum for the first 3 months of owning my Clio, figured it was the same as V Power since both are 99RON. After trying V Power for about a month though the car seemed to run much better, much more consistently. Maybe my driving style for the Clio just improved as I got more accustom to the car, but I've always stuck with V Power since.

Luckily I pass both a Shell and a Tesco on my route to work so neither require a special trip. V Power is about 4p more per L though....

I've been tempted recently to just smash some 95 in for a month and see if the car totally ****s itself, or if it's just my driving haha!

I ran Momentum for the first 3 months of owning my Clio, figured it was the same as V Power since both are 99RON. After trying V Power for about a month though the car seemed to run much better, much more consistently. Maybe my driving style for the Clio just improved as I got more accustom to the car, but I've always stuck with V Power since.

Luckily I pass both a Shell and a Tesco on my route to work so neither require a special trip. V Power is about 4p more per L though....

I've been tempted recently to just smash some 95 in for a month and see if the car totally ****s itself, or if it's just my driving haha!

Im the same i dont know wether its worth risking haha! ... nearest shell is about 4 miles away from where i live so its right out the way! ... Might try it for a month and see what its like.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tarticmonkey General Chat 16
l33th3tr33 Clio General Chat 20
burrellbloke Other Marques 23
K.dough11 Clio General Chat 4
LB197 Clio 197 Area 26