Anti-seize lubricant for wheel hubs

DS197

POTM Winner - June 2017
Paid Member
I cleaned up the wheel hubs and mating face of the alloy wheels a few weeks back and applied copper grease to make sure they wouldn't stick. When I took them off today they were stuck just like last time. I've read that copper grease actually promotes corrosion. No idea how true this is but i'm curious as to what other owners are using to stop the wheels sticking to the hubs.

I cleaned up the wheel hubs and mating face of the alloy wheels a few weeks back and applied copper grease to make sure they wouldn't stick. When I took them off today they were stuck just like last time. I've read that copper grease actually promotes corrosion. No idea how true this is but i'm curious as to what other owners are using to stop the wheels sticking to the hubs.
I use copper grease as that's what a mechanic I used to know did. Never heard that it promotes corrosion.

Cheers guys! I think the stuff I used was a little too thin as it was in a tube. Perhaps a thicker grease would be best.

You sure that hub centering ring is not too tight for your wheel ? I cannot explain better with my english level, but in my clio 197 fitment was too tight. I have to sand rust little bit from hub.
I dont use copper grease any more, i use white ceramic paste which can handle over 800 celsius. It does not react with metals like copper grease.

crc-30344-AA.jpg

Reactions: Sean197
Lithium grease or ceramic grease for the back face of the alloys according to Audi copper grease is not to be use on aluminium components with steel bolts I still use copper grease lightly and only on the contact points not all over the face of the brake disc bolt face.

wire brush off the centre spigot then a thin smear round with copper grease on the inner/corner of the spigot and never on the face of the disc where the wheel face mounts to....

you can also use lithium/graphite grease but in moderation like the copper one

Reactions: LOCKE