Alternative to genuine discs/pads all round

JMR

Paid Member
My cars been in the garage today for a service etc and the discs/pads need replacing all round pretty soon.

I want to get them done asap, but I baulked at the genuine Renault price.
Was going to cost nearly £700 including new front calliper pins.

Eurocarparts have got Pagid front and rear discs and pads at about £490
But using their JULY70 discount they work out at £235 inc VAT

Whats peoples thoughts.
Reason I baulked is I've just had cam belt/auxbelt/full service/waterpump/coolant/brake fluid done today and thats cost me over £600.

Another £700 made my eyes water

Car is a RS 200 '62 plate, all standard at moment.

Are the Pagid rear discs/bearings complete with ABS rings ok ??

I've got pagid disks, got them super cheap from ECP and yes they come with bearings and rings etc. Only thing to note is that they aren't coated so the hubs will rust if you don't paint them...

DSC_0854.JPG

DSC_0847.JPG

Personally I'd go for MTEC, Grooved disks with coating and Mintex pads will probably set you back around £300...

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-di...lio-renaultsport-200-2-0-16v-05-09-12-13.html

You can get get cheap pins from here...

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Renault/Clio/06-12/Clio 2.0 16V 197bhp Renaultsport/Front - Brake Pads and Shoes/BPF1848

Reactions: JMR and Foxspeed
Thanks fellas.

Pagids could be ok then. Price is attractive, however I try to prefer to fit and forget at a ok price rather than find the cheapest.

Bit of a balancing act on these. I know the rear discs are probably more critical than the front, seeing as they have the bearings and abs rings fitted, which is making me think genuine renault which I can get for around £180 ish.

I'm not hard on brakes tbh, so the Pagids could be a good stop gap.

Decisions decisions. And the MTEC seem ok too. Nice to hear people have the Pagid and they are ok, and that there are other options.

I wanted to go into the maintenance of the Clio with a 'no expense spared' attitude and if I hadn't just spent £630 then I would have just had genuine all round.

Kam have Brembo HC fronts for about £80. The Brembo's from euro work out a bit cheaper but I'm not sure if they're the HC versions. You could get Brembo pads from euro for £30 then Pagid rear discs and Brembo front pads are £137 so £250 all in. Dirt cheap!

Reactions: Foxspeed
Crazy prices.

Pagid should be grand on the car especially if you aren’t too hard on brakes on don’t plan on putting the car on track.

Alternatively I do have a pair of Ktec Black Edition front discs on eBay for auction at the minute (brand new). I had purchased them as spares but want to free up some cash as I’m going to be giving some parts of the car an overhaul come service in September.

Reactions: JMR
Thanks for all your help so far fellas. :sunglasses:

At moment I think I'm going...
Brembo HC front discs from KAM
Brembo Front pads - ECP
Pagid rear discs - ECP
Brembo rear pads - ECP
Total £260.75

Thanks for all your help so far fellas. :sunglasses:

At moment I think I'm going...
Brembo HC front discs from KAM
Brembo Front pads - ECP
Pagid rear discs - ECP
Brembo rear pads - ECP
Total £260.75

Can I suggest get some mr pink pins too? It’ll make life easier in the long run.

I've gone for MTEC Drilled and Grooved discs with gold coating, Brembo pads from Euro Car Parts and pins from BrakesDirect on Ebay.

All in all paid £149.00 for the lot to re-do my fronts.

An alternative to EuroCarParts, which I have found can be a couple of quid cheaper, is carparts4less.co.uk from what I understand, they are an online delivery only section of EuroCarParts and the cost of the overheads from the shops is taken off meaning a slightly longer delivery window, but cheaper parts!

I am curious to know why people assume genuine Renault to be better quality than aftermarket? For example we used to offer people valeo clutches for French stuff and explain it’s exactly the same clutch in a different box to a main dealer one, people didn’t believe us or something and still insisted on main dealer parts even though we could save them 40-60% on a clutch kit for the exact same item... :worried:

I understood a few years ago having owned a 172, 182 Cup and Twingo RS that the Genuine Renault items were made by Motrio ???

I am curious to know why people assume genuine Renault to be better quality than aftermarket? For example we used to offer people valeo clutches for French stuff and explain it’s exactly the same clutch in a different box to a main dealer one, people didn’t believe us or something and still insisted on main dealer parts even though we could save them 40-60% on a clutch kit for the exact same item... :worried:

Funny I went in to Eurocarparts and bought some Bosch wiper blades for the 200.
They didn't fit well, size wasn't right, I took them back.
Chap says 'what car have you got'
'Clio' I said.
...'here you go, Valeo all the way for French stuff it will be exactly the same as the ones you took off'..

And you know what he was dead right.

Motrio, Valeo, Bosch, Mitsubishi all make various different parts for the entire Renault range.

I buy genuine as I work for a group of Renault branches and discount etc can be good making certain items cheaper than the Motor Factor prices. Plus parts warranty factor.

Yes I know what you mean Eddie.

I also work for a company that has Renault dealers in group, but the prices are still pretty high compared to the Pagids/Brembos.

Don't get me wrong, it is a huge saving on retail prices

The brembo disks 09.8904.11 are pretty much identical (if not the same) as the genuine items.

FYI, I've used both Brembo and Mintex pads on the rear, absolutely no difference between the two but ones a lot cheaper!

I've got brembo/pagid at the moment, for a few extra quid I'd definitely go MTEC if I had to do it again... Just saying :wink:

p.s. The brembo disks from ECP/GSF are 09.8904.10, HC disks but no coating.

Last edited:
The brembo disks 09.8904.11 are pretty much identical (if not the same) as the genuine items.

FYI, I've used both Brembo and Mintex pads on the rear, absolutely no difference between the two but ones a lot cheaper!

I've got brembo/pagid at the moment, for a few extra quid I'd definitely go MTEC if I had to do it again... Just saying :wink:

p.s. The brembo disks from ECP/GSF are 09.8904.10, HC disks but no coating.

Nice one link, I'll get the 09.8904.11 from KamRacing.

Parts ordered today :sunglasses:

Brembo HC coated front discs from KAM Racing
Brembo front caliper pins from KAM Racing
Brembo Front pads - ECP
Pagid rear discs - ECP
Brembo rear pads - ECP

Collected the discs last week and painted the hubs at the weekend and had them fitted yesterday.

Really pleased with the paint job on the centres, and they look the business.

Link below to my LY200 thread with pics

JMR's LY200