Alienware help....looking to pick one up.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Ill look into one of those. Can you give me the spec and ill look into costings etc.

Thanks
James

Just had a look on their website to give you a link but looks like they've stopped making the one I have. They sell an xps laptop but it doesn't look very nice or have the fantastic screen.

Spec of mine is
Core i7 Q720
ATi Radeon 565v
4GB Ram
1920x1080 WLED screen - This is the best bit!
Fantastic built in speakers
9 cell battery - even with this spec can last up to 3 hours gentle usage
640GB hard drive
Backlit keyboard

I got all that for about £800 6 months ago. I've never managed to max the processor so I wouldn't worry about getting anything faster. The only thing I would change if I was doing it again is to spec a 7200rpm hard drive instead of a 5400rpm one.

I can get this from Sony for £900.

Your configuration
Processor: Intel® CoreTM i7-640M, 2.80GHz
Operating system: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Language and keyboard: English (QWERTY)
Finishes: Glossy white
Hard drive: 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Memory: 6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer
Graphics: ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
Display: 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
Microsoft® Office 2010: Office 2010 Starter
Internet security: No protection
Adobe® Creation: No Adobe® Creation
Also Included
AC Adapter: 1 AC Adapter
Wireless LAN: Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®
HDMI(TM) output: HDMI(TM) output
Battery: Battery life up to 3 hours

Or from Dell I can get this.

Metalloid Aluminum Cover
PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 SP1 Home Premium, 64bit, English
LCD 15.6 HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
MEMORY 6144MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x4096 + 1x2048]
OPTICAL DRIVE 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
HARD DRIVE 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
PRIMARY BATTERY 6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion battery
GRAPHICS CARD 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® *GT 540M Graphics Card
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 (EUR)

Both for the same price?

The dell has a better processor but the sony has a full HD screen and blu-ray drive. I wouldn't say the blu-ray drive is that important on a laptop with such a small screen but the HD screen is really very nice to have and I wouldn't go back down to a lower res laptop screen now.

I think when I looked on Dell's website last night there was also quite a long lead time on laptops with the new 2nd gen processors so that might be a deciding factor.

To be honest the sony does have a very nice spec and I'd be tempted unless the dell is a lot cheaper

Just seen the VAIO F (X) Series on Sony's website, offers a better processor than the one above, 3D screen and blu-ray writer. Only downsite I can see is 4GB RAM and 320GB hard drive but you can upgrade them for a bit of dosh. Basic price is £899.99 and the 3D screen sounds interesting, no idea how good it is though

Whats better i5 or i7? Im guessing i7 is better but can an i5 be better than an i7 if you get the right spec?

i7 is better, I can't remember exact details but the i7 is a quad core with hyperthreading on all 4 cores. When you open task manager you see 8 processors! And when the full power isn't needed it underclocks to save energy and create less heat. I think maybe the i5 doesn't have HT on all cores or doesn't underclock.

Both for the same price?

The dell has a better processor but the sony has a full HD screen and blu-ray drive. I wouldn't say the blu-ray drive is that important on a laptop with such a small screen but the HD screen is really very nice to have and I wouldn't go back down to a lower res laptop screen now.

I think when I looked on Dell's website last night there was also quite a long lead time on laptops with the new 2nd gen processors so that might be a deciding factor.

To be honest the sony does have a very nice spec and I'd be tempted unless the dell is a lot cheaper

That spec of the Dell was £850 so its cheaper but for £50 I could have the upgraded battery bringing it too the same price as the Sony?

Thanks again for the replies.

Much appreciated.

What do you think to this? Someone i know selling it, all i know is its an 18.4 inch screen, Sony and has the following spec

-500gb harddrive
-with Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53 GHz and 1066 MHz FSB) and Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n
-it supports blueray
-got a webcam and internal microphone
-with Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53 GHz and 1066 MHz FSB) and Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n

He wants £600 for it?

All depends what you want to use it for, with a screen that big it really becomes a desktop replacement and looses its portability.

The core 2 duo isn't as good as the i5/i7 and its quite old technology now, although I think that's probably one of the higher spec core 2 dues.

Other things to bear in mind, if you're after decent battery life then the massive screen and old powerful processor will drain it quickly. Add to the fact the battery will lose capacity over time and it will probably only last an hour on full charge.

I'd probably go for a new machine, that way you get a brand new machine with the exact spec you want and of course warranty too.

Another option is a refurbished unit.

This one is £680

Colour Option: XPS Metalloid Aluminum Silver

CPU: Intel Core i5-460M Dual Core Mobile Processor 2.53GHz (2.53GHz, 3MB)

Memory: 4GB (4096MB) DDR3 1066MHz - Upgraded to 8GB

Hard Drive: 500GB Serial (SATA) 5400 RPM

Display: 17.3" 1600x900 White LED Widescreen Display with TrueLife 900p HD

Optical Drive: DVD-ReWriter Drive

Video: nVidia GeForce GT 435M Graphics with 1GB Dedicated RAM (3D Ready,DX11,Optimus Technology)

Soundcard: Realtek HD

Wireless: Intel Wireless Centrino Ultimate-N 6200 AGN (A/B/G/N)

BlueTooth: YES

Web Camera: Yes, Integrated Webcam Included

Battery: Extended Life 9 Cell 80WHr/85WHr Lithium Ion Battery

3G wireless: No, Please See Upgrades Section Below For Availability

Additional Features: - Integrated 3D technology - watch 3D films, programs and play games in 3D on your XPS 17 (Seperate nVidia 3D Glasses Required)
- Integrated JBL 2.1 Designed & Certified Speakers +Waves MaxxAudio 3 (2 peakers and 1 Subwoofer)
- Integrated Multimedia Card Reader
- Seperate Multimedia Control buttons
- Full size keyboard with seperate numeric keypad
- Integrated broadband ready network card and wireless networking

Ports: - 1 x 9-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD, SDIO, SDXC, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, MMC, MSXC, xD)
- 1 x Mini DisplayPort
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 2 x USB 2.0 (1 / 1 eSATA/powershare combo)
- 1 x RJ45 10/100/1000 LAN
- 1 x HDMI 1.4
- 1 x AC adapter connector
- 2 x headphone with SPID/F support (1)
- 1 x Mic-in

Keyboard: Black UK English Layout (QWERTY) - Not Backlit
O/S*: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit) - English

Refurbish type: Refurbished by NDC with 1 Year RTB Warranty

Sorry everyone,

One more for NOW :smile:

This is £1000 - Its such a big decision to make :worried:

Colour Option: XPS Premium High Gloss Obsidian Black Finish with Genuine Leather and Aluminium Accents

CPU: Intel Core i7-820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 1.73GHz (Turbo up to 3.06GHz, 8MB Cache,1333MHz FSB)

Memory: 8GB (8192MB) DDR3 1333MHz

Hard Drive: 640GB Serial (SATA) 5400 RPM

Display: 16" 1920x1080 RGB LED Widescreen Edge-to-Edge Display with TrueLife 1080p HD

Optical Drive: Blu-Ray ReWriter (Reads Blu-Ray,DVD and CD, Writes Blu-Ray,DVD & CD)

Video: ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 Graphics with 1GB Dedicated RAM

Soundcard: High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless: Dell TrueMobile 1520 Wireless (A/B/G/N)

Additional Features: - ExpressCard Digital (DVB-T) TV-Tuner/Video Capture Card
- Integrated 2MB Webcam
- Dual Digital Array Microphones
- 8-in-1 Multimedia Memory Card Reader
- Edge-to-Edge Display Technology
- USB Powershare (For charging mobile phones via USB without switching laptop on etc.)
- Magnesium Alloy LCD Back and Base
- HDMI Output for High Definition (HD) Output
- Dell Display Port
- FireWire (For Video Editing etc)
- Broadband Ready Gigabit Network Card
- Touchpad
- Built-in speakers

Ports: - 2 x USB 2.0
- 1 x USB 2.0 combined with e-SATA port with Powershare
- 1 x IEEE 1394a
- 1 x ExpressCard 54 mm slot
- 1 x RJ45 Ethernet port (10/100/1000)
- 1 x HDMI Out
- 1 x Display Port
- 1 x 15-pin VGA
- Microphone/Headphone Sockets

Keyboard: BackLit UK English Layout (QWERTY) - Lights up in the dark!
O/S*: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit) - English

Refurbish type: Refurbished by NDC with 1 Year RTB Warranty

That last one is like an upgraded spec of what I have.

I would say the processor is overkill, I have a lower spec one and it never reaches 100% usage as it's quite limited by the hard drive speed. That one also has the RGBLED screen which is meant to be pretty much the best laptop screen money can buy, you don't see many RGBLED screens and it was about a £200 option on a new machine. The full HD resolution is fantastic too, makes everything crystal clear. The illuminated keyboard etc. is very nice to use too.

But, the one you posted before it is also a good spec, just a bit too big for a laptop IMO.

Im an avid "gaming laptop" user, im on my 3rd now in the space of about 7yrs. However i have always avoided Alienware for 2 reasons; price and design. There are faaaaaaar better alternatives out there if you do some digging.

Rock Direct - http://www.rockdirect.com/
Had 2 from them. Pricey but you get 3yr onsite warrenty included in the price for your investment

Novatech - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/home/
Heard good things about them but never took the plunge

HP Envy - http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/envy/envy15.html
My current laptop of choice. Cant rate them highly enough.

Sure ok my current laptop the HP Envy isnt quite in the same league but id had enough of the noisey, heavy previous gaming laptops so opt'd to downspec slightly for something quieter and that felt better made. Dont regret it at all, and the ATI Mobility Radeon 5830 is perfectly capable.

Good luck with whatever your pick.

I have found a site who deal in refurbished Alienware laptops and have found this one for £850.

I know its not as good a spec as those with the i7 processors etc but would it technically be up to the job and run everything that the newer i7's could.

Thanks
James

Colour Option: Alienware Nebula Red - Special Edition - Click Here To View

CPU: Q9000 Intel Core2 Quad 2.00GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Memory: 8GB (8192MB) DDR3 1333MHz

Hard Drive: 2 x 500GB Serial ATA (SATA) 7200 RPM, Two Hard Drives-Total 1,000GB!

Display: 17.0" 1920x1200 (WUXGA) Dual CCFL/8ms Widescreen Display - Beyond HD (1200p)

Optical Drive: DVD-ReWriter Drive

Video: 2 x 1024MB nVidia GeForce GTX 260M SLI (Total 2GB)

Soundcard: IDT High Definition Audio

Wireless: Broadcom 802.11n Wireless (A/B/G/N)

Additional Features: - ExpressCard Digital (DVB-T) TV-Tuner/Video Capture Card
- Anodized Aluminum Case Design with Aggressive Lines and In-Your-Face Attitude
- Binary GFX Technology - Switch between onboard and discrete graphics
- Optional AlienFX Illuminated Keyboard, Exclusive Design

Change the lights to whatever colour you want!
- Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
- Integrated Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 (1000 Mbps)
- Built-In 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Ports: - 4 Hi-speed USB 2.0 ports
- 1 eSATA/USB 2.0 Combo (2-in-1 port) with PowerShare
- IEEE 1394a (4-pin) port
- ExpressCard Slot
- DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA - Video Output
- Front Speakers Audio Out Connector / Headphone Jack
- Center Speaker and Subwoofer Audio Out Connector / Headphone Jack
- Rear Surround Audio Out Connector
- Audio In / Microphone Jack
- Two Built-In Front Speakers

Keyboard: UK English Layout (QWERTY) with Semi-Backlit AlienFX LED Technology - PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS
O/S*: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit) - English

Processor wise that's a fairly big step down from the i7 and I would also say the twin hard drives will significantly reduce battery life. If you wanted that sort of storage capacity you can get single 750GB hard drives for laptops now, just buy one of them and stick it in your new machine.