Advice please

Sean197

RIP Albi :( Hello Red 200 :)
Right, i'm in the middle of gathering the final bits to carry out my meg conversion - car is booked in for the engine swap on 20th July.
On May 27th the engine I bought needed more work than I could be arsed with, so I decided to buy a reconditioned 225 engine from a well-known Renualt parts trader on ebay. I was told the engine would be delivered by 48hour courier. I emailed them asking when the engine would be delivered, and was told they were waiting on piston rings as they were on 'back order' and they would chase up the dealer.
Anyway, long story short, 4 weeks later, and after numerous ignored emails asking for an expected delivery date, I emailed them this morning informing them I had left negative feedback on ebay and the transaction was in the hands of my credit card company (to whom I had sent all receipts and emails etc.) to pursue a refund. Funnily enough, within 20mins they had phoned me apologising. The woman gave me some ******** about "there's a problem with the block" and are now saying the recon engine is a no-go.

They are now offering me 2 options:

1. collect the engine I have and rebuild it - she only said 'fit new crank bearings, skim the head, fit new head bolts and head gasket' but no new valve seats cut etc
2. sell me a second-hand engine and refund me the difference plus a bit more as goodwill.

The question is, I really don't know if I can be bothered with this comany any more. I mean, can I trust them? I asked her why they couldn't recon the second-hand engine they were offering me, but she never replies. The latest email states "whichever option you decide on, how much would you be willing to pay?". I mean, really? It's up to them to give me a price seeing as they have royally ****ed me around for a whole month now.

My head is telling me to just ask for a refund, remind them my credit card company are fully aware of the transaction and lack of delivery etc. and just find another engine (maybe even a 250 engine).

Thoughts?

Cheers :smile:

Question is, would you want work done on your car by people you've just had bad dealings with and have left negative feedback for? I certainly wouldn't.

I'd just get a refund and walk away. Plenty of other Renault breakers out there

they are not the only seller out there as above....take the money and run mate :tongueout:anic:

Last edited:
Yup tbh you're all confirming what I was thinking.
Email sent requesting a refund, and already found a new engine :thumbup:

there are good engines out there..i wouldnt worry mate..hope it works out this time..

Glad you've found a new engine so quickly. I agree with the others and the decision you've made in that it was best to walk away. You'd have only had doubts in the back of your mind all the time if you'd continue to deal with them.

Better luck with the new lump!

So pleased that you managed to find an alternative. That's a horrendous approach to customer service and I'm so glad that you decided not to take up their rather poor offer.

Update - I have now received a full refund plus some cash as compensation, and they have agreed a good price to buy my old megane 225 engine as well as my 197 engine, so it's actually worked out quite well in the end. Just could have done without the hassle!