Adam's 197 Clio

Hi,

So i was looking for a car all last week and decided on Sunday morning that i would look at some Clio 197's, now i wanted one with at least the Cup Spoiler as i think they look much better (imo), after 30minutes of looking i found a car which was in Birmingham (approx 2 hours away)

So i ended up driving down to Birmingham in my partners car (2002 clio) and she ended up driving back, she has only been driving a few months so i took it easy on the way home on the motorway, but as she settled in she ended up over taking me a few times :wink:

Some pictures of the car (from the add)...media (3).jpg media (4).jpg media (5).jpg media (6).jpg media (7).jpg media (8).jpg media.jpg media1.jpg
media (1).jpg media (2).jpg

Now from what i know and have also seen, the car has a full scorpion exhaust system (doesnt pop and bang much?) K&N Air Filter, Powerflex engine mount bushes, and lowered on springs

it had the all important cambelt service etc at 57,000 miles (car is now on 70k)
has also had the gearbox refurbished and clutch replaced at 64,000 miles

i have had a problem with the headlights which should hopefully be fixed this weekend (i have got one working) but whilst also under the car yesterday when taking the bumper off i noticed some oil on the bottom of the engine??

Also going to get 2x back tyres fitted this weekend

very nice, some black speedlines would suit that a treat. Bonnet vent is a bit 'meh', sure you could sell that to one of the meg-engine boys and find a replacement bonnet easily enough.
It's good that you have the powerflex engine bushes, hopefully it means your exhaust manifold is in good nick :smile:

Reactions: Adam_C
Car looks great and seems to be in good condition from the pics. I actually like the bonnet vent so would leave it. The ride height looks good and I'm presuming it's on spacers as the track looks wider than standard. I'm sure if you put some pics up of the oil then someone on here will be able to advise.

Very nice Adam.

Someone paid an arm and a leg for them F1 stickers....

Are they expensive?

Also i seem to like the bonnet vent i think ill leave it for now, and i do think it helps keep the engine bay cooler.

i am enjoying the car up to now and it seems to be like a little go kart! just need to sort this headlight issue out then i can see where i am going.

Getting my tyres fitted on Saturday (Yokohama AD08 R) and these are £94 each inc all the fitting, balancing etc, am also going to get the tracking done as the steering wheel doesn't sit center but sits to the right.

When i am next under the car to take the bumper off ill take a picture of the oil if i remember to and post it up!

Hoping to give the car a good clean on the weekend and some protection!

Thanks for the kind words.

Are they expensive?

Also i seem to like the bonnet vent i think ill leave it for now, and i do think it helps keep the engine bay cooler.

i am enjoying the car up to now and it seems to be like a little go kart! just need to sort this headlight issue out then i can see where i am going.

Getting my tyres fitted on Saturday (Yokohama AD08 R) and these are £94 each inc all the fitting, balancing etc, am also going to get the tracking done as the steering wheel doesn't sit center but sits to the right.

When i am next under the car to take the bumper off ill take a picture of the oil if i remember to and post it up!

Hoping to give the car a good clean on the weekend and some protection!

Thanks for the kind words.

Great tyres good choice!

Well the R27 F1s stickers are quite pricey from Renault when people have to replace them when they break/fade..

Great tyres good choice!

Well the R27 F1s stickers are quite pricey from Renault when people have to replace them when they break/fade..

I usually go for Michellen/Bridgestone but as the front tyres are brand new and are Yokohama i decided to get the back ones matching (hate miss matched tyres) so will see how they go for the next thousands of miles (however long they last) and i also think i got a great price for fitting the tyres!

How much do Renault charge for the new stickers?

Does anyone know how soft the paint is on these cars as the paint pretty swirly and wouldn't mind a machine polish to get rid of them.

welcome and enjoy..the oil leak is probably caused by an upper manifold where the spark plugs are..common fault..also strange you have front calipers sprayed in red and the rears are plain..
hope you manage to sort everything out soon...

enjoy your new toy

welcome and enjoy..the oil leak is probably caused by an upper manifold where the spark plugs are..common fault..also strange you have front calipers sprayed in red and the rears are plain..
hope you manage to sort everything out soon...

enjoy your new toy

Good spot on the calipers! will put that on the to do list.

Can you further explain the common fault? as if its a quick fix i will take a look on the weekend while messing with the headlights

I usually go for Michellen/Bridgestone but as the front tyres are brand new and are Yokohama i decided to get the back ones matching (hate miss matched tyres) so will see how they go for the next thousands of miles (however long they last) and i also think i got a great price for fitting the tyres!

How much do Renault charge for the new stickers?

Does anyone know how soft the paint is on these cars as the paint pretty swirly and wouldn't mind a machine polish to get rid of them.

Car looks great mate! Pretty much the same as mine - minus a few bits.

Front Sticker - £39.52
Rear - £48.65
Sides (If you wanted them) - £115.78 PER SIDE
Roof - around £400+ apparently.

Good spot on the calipers! will put that on the to do list.

Can you further explain the common fault? as if its a quick fix i will take a look on the weekend while messing with the headlights

Very easy and quick fix. Remove bolt, apply gasket sealant to underside of bolt, replace bolt.

Hi Adam, car looks great, the aero kit is an expensive add-on so you did the right thing looking for one with them already fitted if you were keen on having them.

The bolt that has been mention is as per this photo. The arrow is pointing to where the oil was pooling, the bolt is just above it as you look at the picture.

photo17.jpg

Out of curiousity, could the oil leak from that bolt potentially cause loss of performance when the engine is up to temp?

Hi Adam, car looks great, the aero kit is an expensive add-on so you did the right thing looking for one with them already fitted if you were keen on having them.

The bolt that has been mention is as per this photo. The arrow is pointing to where the oil was pooling, the bolt is just above it as you look at the picture.

photo17.jpg

Thanks for that Jimmy! will see how i get on over the weekend!

Thanks for that Jimmy! will see how i get on over the weekend!

Hope you get to the bottom of the leak. The one in the photo is quite common, although it's easy to fix. Just get some silicone sealant from Halfords etc and use a little bit under the bolt when you re-tighten it.