95 Octane vs 97/98 Octane?

Always used vpower in both of my clios, and whilst i have never noticed as much of a difference in the 200t going to a lower octane (when ive had to slum it) it was more noticeable in the 197...

Ran mine on 95 for the first time since i had it at the weekend (all that was available) and it really didn't like it. Feels 100x better on v-power!

Reactions: mannors007
Echo some of the above with mine, it really doesn't seem to like V-power for some reason. Always run mine on Tesco Momentum, keep saying i'll give V-power another go but there isn't a Shell garage too close to me and Tesco is closer so it just makes sense to run in on momentum all the time.

Had to use jet garage super unleaded the other week as I was really in need of petrol and it was close by. Think it was 130 something a litre, I nearly fell over at that price!!

Reactions: mannors007
Now this is one for you... I filled up from empty with boggo standard Asda 95 on Friday and it feels so much smoother. No kangarooing, reduced flat spot (still there but less pronounced). I can't explain it...

Now this is one for you... I filled up from empty with boggo standard Asda 95 on Friday and it feels so much smoother. No kangarooing, reduced flat spot (still there but less pronounced). I can't explain it...
Could be that the fuel is "fresher" than the high octane equivalent which may have been sitting around for a while. There's a porsche dealership around the corner from where I fill up, but I very much doubt that anyone from there ever uses super unleaded.

Much more important/beneficial when you're adding boost because of the knock advantages.

I don't run 95 in mine normally, but I have on occasion when it's not been available and it hasn't made a huge difference.

Personally, I think it's mostly placebo with the F4R. I still run 98+, but just out of habit more than anything.

Reactions: Sean197
I have a stock 197 Cup. I get the opposite results:

For me 98 RON causes lumpy idling, stuttering from start, occasional misfiring, bogging down or kangarooing away from junctions, juddering on lift off or take up, weak acceleration and difficulty driving in slow and stop start traffic.

95 RON gives noticeably more torque at lower revs, smoother idling, no juddering, better acceleration, better throttle response to pedal input and easy driving in slow traffic.

My filler cap says 95 and 98 unleaded, which means that this car is mapped from factory to run on 95. In my humble opinion and for some unknown reason higher octane fuel available here in Lithuania is detrimental to the performance of this vehicle.

Just to clarify a general misconception.
Higher octane fuel does not give more power, nor does it give a bigger 'bang' in the combustion chamber. The higher the octane number, the harder it is for fuel to ignite. The main benefit of this is when running boost or very high rpm n/a, when combustion chambers will run hotter. Higher octane fuel then prevents detonation, aka 'pinking', where the fuel-air mix ignites before the spark plug has sparked, due to the overheating of the mix in the combustion chamber. This in turn prevents the knock sensor retarding the ignition timing and reducing power.
In the clio f4r, you can extract a tiny bit extra power but only when remapped to run higher octane fuel, due to the mapper being able to advance the timing slightly more, but only slightly.
All said, any power gain 'feel' when simply deciding to put in a tank of v-power is pure placebo.

My 182 is mapped with v power. There’s been occasions where I’ve had to put ‘normal’ stuff in.

100% notice the difference.

Reactions: Sean197
Pretty much as Sean says, and a couple of the other points up there are correct too.

The main benefit of a higher octane fuel is the reduction in combustion retardation. So less chance of ‘throwing a rod’.
It means the chance of combustion occurring at top dead centre is reduced.

Also most premium fuels contain more lubricating additives, which is obviously a bonus for more high performance/tuned engines.

There is the MPG benefit with some higher octane fuels (more V-power), but that is mainly because of the fuelsave additives over other factors.

V-Power and Momentum are also the only pure blend 99ron fuels used out there.
They are blended to 98Ron minimum, and octane boosted through additives, to hit the 99ron mark.
Other 97/98Ron fuels are normal PU10 blends, at a 95ron minimum (standard fuel), then octane boosted to hit the advertised ron number.

We used to blend a SU10 (super unleaded, 10ppm sulphur) fuel, and that was at a 97ron minimum. But that has been phased out now, with the introduction of more efficient octane boosting additives.

In my personal opinion, a pure blend 99ron fuel is the best option for a performance/modified engine, and if your a petrolhead that cares about your baby, she’s worth the extra £3 a tank. Also in my experience, using v-power, that £3 is all but offset, with the extra MPG you can get.

i know my megane is turbo but i always us bp 97 or shell 99.
Car is mapped to higher octane fuels so it must help. But i use it more for the cleaning additives more than the high octane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beany
Clio 197/200 depends very much on fuel and it will be nice to run them on higher octane fuel ( I put only 100 octane Max power)...it is highly tuned engine from factory and if you put 95 or 100 octane fuel in some 70hp engine you won't notice difference but in higly tuned engines for example 2.0 Clio 197/200 engine you will notice difference.Few hp for sure between 95 octane and 100 octane fuel.

Clio 197/200 depends very much on fuel and it will be nice to run them on higher octane fuel ( I put only 100 octane Max power)...it is highly tuned engine from factory and if you put 95 or 100 octane fuel in some 70hp engine you won't notice difference but in higly tuned engines for example 2.0 Clio 197/200 engine you will notice difference.Few hp for sure between 95 octane and 100 octane fuel.

There is no horsepower difference in simply using different fuel, for the reasons stated above. It must be mapped for any gains to be had.

Similar Thread Suggestions