5th gear crunching

My car has recently developed a definite crunch when changing up to 5th gear. Fine at low RPM, anything above 4K is starting to crunch unless I let the revs drop before placing it into gear. I was under the impression it was only 3rd and 4th gear that developed this issue. A few searches haven't shown any results of someone suffering 5th gear synchro issues. Could it be something else causing it? Perhaps wishful thinking...

Absolutely spot on in every other gear, smooth as silk.

hope you get it sorted..think it could be any gear imo..it just happens that the 3rd and 4th are the most common...

5th oh dear! but if its "crunching" then its most likely the synchro on that gear:censored:

5th oh dear! but if its "crunching" then its most likely the synchro on that gear:censored:

Foxy - is it correct that the 200's have the later / harder steel synchro rings as standard ?

I've read and heard a few different thoughts on this. and it reared its head again recently.

Hoping you can put this one to bed for good !

Foxy - is it correct that the 200's have the later / harder steel synchro rings as standard ?

I've read and heard a few different thoughts on this. and it reared its head again recently.

Hoping you can put this one to bed for good !

i have been on to renault dealer parts/service i know well and to be honest they are not sure only that the boxes "were" improved. i know some say 197 are the worse but form what i have read/seen/heard the 200 boxes seem more prone to it then 197 early boxes (usually)...

"a guess" but i would say they did an "improvement" to the boxes early on and it actually caused issues and hence them changing them again in production - i have even checked on part numbers but that doesnt give any real clues...

one final clue is the change in gear oil as some boxes need a different spec oil due to metals used inside and renault did do this so perhaps this is the clue that internally they did some changes to synchro materials

Reactions: sevenfourate
i have been on to renault dealer parts/service i know well and to be honest they are not sure only that the boxes "were" improved. i know some say 197 are the worse but form what i have read/seen/heard the 200 boxes seem more prone to it then 197 early boxes (usually)...

"a guess" but i would say they did an "improvement" to the boxes early on and it actually caused issues and hence them changing them again in production - i have even checked on part numbers but that doesnt give any real clues...

one final clue is the change in gear oil as some boxes need a different spec oil due to metals used inside and renault did do this so perhaps this is the clue that internally they did some changes to synchro materials

Wow !!! -)

Appreciate your knowledge. Hell of a lot of unknowns in there still though hey......

Motto of the story : Still treat all with respect !

I had mine refurbed 3 years ago and it was just shy of £550 iirc.

I've told myself once it starts crunching it's getting a meg lump. However, it's still fine! Lol

@Pav isn't yours the older ratios? Not sure I'd be interested if so...
There's one up for £450 that apparently has no crunching but it would be impossible to tell until fitted. I'd have a go at refurbing myself following the guide on here as I can go without the car for a while. I'm just not sure on how big a job removing and fitting is. Will it be difficult to remove?@Foxspeed?

There's one up for £450 that apparently has no crunching but it would be impossible to tell until fitted. I'd have a go at refurbing myself following the guide on here as I can go without the car for a while. I'm just not sure on how big a job removing and fitting is. Will it be difficult to remove?@Foxspeed?
Six speed Laguna's had fifth gear issues so did trafics.

which bit? removing gearbox or stripping it? if your stripping it you will need pullers & a press for parts of it although iirc 5th is on another shaft so its possible to swap with another one from a donor box if required

Reactions: Pav
You're welcome to have my old box if you want to make one from two.fourth is shagged but all else fine !

which bit? removing gearbox or stripping it? if your stripping it you will need pullers & a press for parts of it although iirc 5th is on another shaft so its possible to swap with another one from a donor box if required

I actually meant the removal itself. But, by the sounds of it, I'd best leave it to someone with the know-how. I like to try and do stuff myself a)because I'm very intrigued by how stuff works b)I'm very practically minded and c)it keeps the cost down. Maybe this is just too much. I'll just stick to HV electric installations instead ha! Everyone has their speciality