215/45/r17 or 225/45/r17 ??

I know both of these sizes can be put on the 197 but not sure which would be best obviously there must be a reason y the 215s come as standard but surely the 225s give u more rubber. Has anyone tries both sizes on a 197/200 and what size would they suggest would be best

I know both of these sizes can be put on the 197 but not sure which would be best obviously there must be a reason y the 215s come as standard but surely the 225s give u more rubber. Has anyone tries both sizes on a 197/200 and what size would they suggest would be best

Renault spent millions developing the car and fitted 215 so id stay with that .

Also more ( wider ) rubber does not always mean better as putting a bugger tyre on the same size rim will mean less stretch thus more tyre movement so not always a good thing

I have 225 on and they are fine. I mainly went for them as they are cheaper, will probably go back to 215 when they need replacing.

225 have more tyre options at lower prices usually but I too have heard of scrubbing issues with 225s?

Track-club run 225s A048s on their 197 track demo car.But thats mainly because that the rear size for the elises they race/track, so have plenty of spares. They purport no issues.
Personally id stick to std size thou.

I would stick to correct size. 225 may give you a slightly wider front track but the contact patch would be the same. They would also raise the gearing increasing accelaration times but giving more mpg.

the differences between 215/45 R17 and 225/45 R17

tyre tread is 225mm, meaning 10mm more than 215 - good on trackday
tyre flank/wall is 101.2mm, meaning 4.4mm higher than 215 -
diameter 634.3mm, meaning 8.8mm more than 215
when your seepo shows 100km/h the exact speed is 98.6 km/h

Renault might have a good reason to choose 215, but as 225 is more common, therefore cheaper than 215

the size diff is nearly immaterial, there is plenty of room when cornering, so no worries

Can you not get a 225/40/17... Should keep the rolling radius similar to standard?

Personally I'd stick with standard.

when your seepo shows 100km/h the exact speed is 98.6 km/h

Its the other way round mate,
225's will show a lower speedo reading only by 1mph.

I have 225's on mine and now my speedo shows the same speed as GPS
when i had 215's on my speedo was always +1 mph more than the GPS.

As for issues with them rubbing on full lock they are fine, no rubbing at all.

(i no this is an old post but may be handy for anyone else thinking of getting 225's)