2012 clio 3RS RB7 #166

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by peter, Mar 20, 2016.

1. peter

peter POTM Winner - February 2017 Gold Member

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    wow. lifetime highlight for sure.

agree. i still believe the 2016 GTE results were staged by the ACO. they went for the hollywood story of ford winning again after fifty years. besides, that ford GT ... isn't really a GT, is it? from the moment i saw the first pictures of that car, i really thought they'd killed the GTE class. good to see the other manufacturers responded and BoP did the rest of course.

i think, the biggest shortcoming of the WEC is the importance of the le mans race and the power it gives to the ACO. porsche were even willing to compromise the results of the first two races of the season (silverstone and spa), by running in low downforce configuration. they were just using those races as test sessions. it'll be the first time this season, they'll run in high downforce config this weekend at the nürburgring. manufacturers know only too well the general public rates the 24h over the world championship, effectively devaluating the championship.

it's the team effort i appreciate. i feel it's less macho driven than F1. dr.ulrich congratulating peugeot or porsche after a win and vice versa. or the porsche guys genuinely feeling distressed after toyota's misfortune last year. that sort of thing you know.

2. ///M

///M Gold Member

R27, ///M CS, Exige V6
    Highlight wise, it's right up there, but I do have one that is better!

Agree something not right was going on with GTE last year. It was all just too much. Besides, it wasn't even a car then. How is that ok. Renault may as well enter the RS:01 anyway! Oh and personally, I don't care what's in there as long as it looks good. Which they all do so much.

And also agree with all your thoughts about LMP1. Hopefully things are going to get better now with a few interesting new manufacturers looking at getting involved. Didn't like the Porsche quit rumours though!

As for your last point, you've highlighted the biggest difference between F1 and WEC for me. It still feels like a sport. Played out in a sporting fashion by human beings, not some big corporate machine. I know that's probably over romanticising it a bit but it just feels so much a better atmosphere.

Sorry mate, totally derailed your build thread with WEC banter.

peter likes this.
  3. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    don't mind at all, mes. the thread is just an excuse to talk about racing anyway. :wink:

///M likes this.
  4. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    forgot two things ...

. the stickers i got with my gold membership, came unstuck. both. that pointy piece where the two is cut out, came loose. think i'll order some white ones from the shop and try to remember not to get too excited scubbing off the bugs from the windshield. they are the same size as the ones which come with the memberships, right?

. bought two sets of ferodo DS1.11 brake pads from matt here on the forum. great price, delivery was quick and matt was very patient dealing with a customer who didn't want to pay for the exorbitant exchange rate paypal thinks it needs to charge. so, thanks again ... @trackspec197

Sean197 and Big Ben like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Bad cop Administrator

Yeah they are mate! Not had an issues with stickers myself, and I've put several on my cars. Just make sure it's clean and dry.

6. peter

b e l g i u m
    RB7 #166
    cheers chris.