2012 200 just purchased

Hi everyone. Thought I'd sign up. We recently took in a Clio sport 200 in px at work, and as my 172 cup was getting a bit tired after 14 years of ownership and 160k miles, I thought I'd have it!

There's a forum sticker on the b-post so I guess one of the previous owners may already be on here.

I'm still getting used to the car, there's a few things I like and a few I don't! Many of the dislikes are down to the fact that I've have been hooning around in a 172 cup every day for 14 years and very much enjoyed the ZERO external imputs from the car into the driving experience. The 200 on the other hand appears to want to drive itself!

I am loving the handling and stability of the 200. It's cornering is less dramatic than the 172. It feels less jittery and there is more grip. My 200 is not a cup model, but has the cup suspension option. In a straight line though there is no doubt that the 172 cup has the beating of the 200. Where the 200 really falls down though is in general driving/commuting. The engine bogs momentarily when you stomp on the gas in first before gradually feeding in the power, even with TC off (I switch it off straight away every time I get in the car). It seems impossible to launch the car, you cannot feed the clutch in at the same time as mashing the gas and pull away sharply with a little chirp from the tyres as you can all day long in a 172 cup. Pulling away in first results in a little bog before moving away every time, unless one is so slow and judicious with the throttle as to make it look like grandma is driving.

Anyway, slow speed and traffic driving apart the 200 is nice. After asking around a bit it seems that I may be able to make a few mods to the car to make it drive much more like the old school car that I want. I'll give it a month or so to see if I still feel the same. My likely first step will be to put a decent stereo in it. At least it has a good old fashioned single DIN slot to work with! Also considering a Cup rear spoiler for it. I'm not normally a big fan of rear spoilers but the Cup spoiler looks great in my opinion so may go with that. Will post some pics up of the car when I get a moment.

Reactions: Jimmy and Timbo
Welcome along. Don't forget to include a couple of pics of the 172 with those of the new car. 14 years of ownership! You must've loved that car!

Welcome!
Glad I'm not the only who has issues pulling away. Considering a neck brace for the gf I'm that bad :tongueout:

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with pulling away - I've never really seen it as much of an issue, but I do find I tend to set off quite slowly in comparison to other cars around me, due to being slow letting the clutch out.

Welcome along. Enjoy the slow 200!

Loose 'friend' of mine has a nice 172 with filter and zorst....not sure on remap (?). Compared to my mildly breathing modded / mapped 200; its not even that close really with the 200 being quicker. Just saying the way i've found it - bearing in mind in real terms neither are very 'fast' these days and straight lines isnt what the cars are about........

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Loose 'friend' of mine has a nice 172 with filter and zorst....not sure on remap (?). Compared to my mildly breathing modded / mapped 200; its not even that close really with the 200 being quicker. Just saying the way i've found it - bearing in mind in real terms neither are very 'fast' these days and straight lines isnt what the cars are about........
That's good feedback there Shuv.

I keep hearing that the earlier models are quicker than the mk3 but find it hard to believe that Renault would've taken a backward step performance wise?

That's good feedback there Shuv.

I keep hearing that the earlier models are quicker than the mk3 but find it hard to believe that Renault would've taken a backward step performance wise?

Original poster has owned both. I dont suppose for one minute he's 'lying'. Just there is always another side to any story. In no way do i think my car is 'special'......and i most certainly didn't buy it for its straight line prowess either which way. Also remember i was the first to admit i got my ass handed to me one day by a rather plain looking Fiat Punto !

I can only tell you the truth of a couple of runs we had on my clear private test-track :smile:

Anyone else's mileage may vary........

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. Still have my 172cup too. It seems a shame to sell it, would prob only get a grand for it and it's been with me since new as said. I reckon the reason the cup has more straight line speed is simply down to weight. The 200 has something like 15% more power and 20%+ more weight, plus the power curve is probably pretty much the same up to 6000 anyway. Around the corners I haven't even scratched the surface of the 200s ability. It is so much more stable and grippy, less drama all round.
A remap is definitely something I'd consider. Is there favoured guru for this sort of thing with 200s? I've been reading up on 200s and what's available for them since I got it, some device that amplifies the signal to the FBW TB seems popular. I must say it seems a bit "snake oil" to me, but there's a lot of thumbs up for the device online. Maybe i'll give that a go.
Took a pic of both cars together just now but looks like I need a photobucket acct or similar to post pics here so gonna quickly get that sorted.

Reactions: ///M