200 Cup fitting 197 Recaros

Another top little guide (booked marked) and at least you can get a neat plug, previous car had to make a little loom with resister inline that just used spades to plug in then covered in Insulating tape.

Thats essentially what i have Surrey-Paul however the wiring loop with resistor attached to the connectors comes in the Ebay pack and essentially just pushes into place on the Recaro side of the plug. This allows the extra circuit from the car to return a signal to the ECU.

The plus side about this is also my Recaros are now FF compatible so will essentially be a straight swap for any future owner too come selling time. Bonus :smile:

Last edited:
Seems like really good kit mate, think I'll have to get one on order.

Quick question what rating resister does it say to use for the clio?

Im not sure im affraid as its already attached to the ebay kit and shrink wrapped hidden from view in the wiring loop (circled in red on my screenshot). We tested it with a multimeter and were getting 2.5 from it.

Its annoying as they are £30 and the required part online is probably just £5 worth :worried:

I'm assuming that was a resistance test but 2.5 Ohm can be valid as 2 different cars I've done previously ranged from using 0.5 Ohm to 2 Ohm resistor on 12v DC.

I was only curious as usually when the airbags deploy the resister blows, which I've then experienced as I wrote the chassis off on my Mustang S197 at a race track and that was sliding sideways into concrete bollard so ECU sent deploy signal to the missing seat airbag.

rubbish i fitted recaros to by standard FF197, fitted the seats myself which brought the airbag light on, took it to renault wolverhampton told them i fitted the seats from a F1, they said ecu may need reconfideration, booked it in got it back no warning lights. but this may depend on whether its a cup or not as the recaros in a cup may be different.

Ahem....

WE fitted Recaros lol :wink:

Im not sure im affraid as its already attached to the ebay kit and shrink wrapped hidden from view in the wiring loop (circled in red on my screenshot). We tested it with a multimeter and were getting 2.5 from it.

Its annoying as they are £30 and the required part online is probably just £5 worth :worried:

Resisters are in pennies, maplins you can get for 89p :worried: but it does make it nice and neat and that connector to make is probably £2 max as well, but trying to find them & then buy singular as usually they sell in bulk figures.

How about fitting 197 recaros to standard 197 clio? Is it straight bolt on without any electrical modifications?

How about fitting 197 recaros to standard 197 clio? Is it straight bolt on without any electrical modifications?

It will be identicle to what i have had to do above as the 197 standard seats are the same as the 200 standard seats in regards to having the additional circuit the Recaros do not have.

As RalphyBMW said you will need what i have detailed in this thread.

I have to think that again, i maybe do not want to mess with airbags/safety equipment.
I am pretty sure RHD recaros would not fit for LHD car? What is normal price for 2 recaro seats? So i if will buy pair i dont pay overprice.. :wink:

Last edited:
I have to think that again, i maybe do not want to mess with airbags/safety equipment.
I am pretty sure RHD recaros would not fit for LHD car? What is normal price for 2 recaro seats? So i if will buy pair i dont pay overprice.. :wink:

you can get renault to reconfigure the ecu, which in turn, turns the airbag light off with the rest of the airbags still working, the passager seat is non height adjustable, you should be able to fit them but they would be backwards.

you can get renault to reconfigure the ecu, which in turn, turns the airbag light off with the rest of the airbags still working, the passager seat is non height adjustable, you should be able to fit them but they would be backwards.

Okay.. thanks. I want height adjustable driver seat so i have to find LHD recaros.

I spoke to RUK (Renault customer services) they said this is not something they do! If you were lucky enough to find a Renault garage who either didnt know this, or was friendly enough to help you out then congratulations but i assure you it is certainly not the normal case.

My local Renault garage got the mechanic to phone me so i could explain what i wanted doing, he then went off to to check with his colleagues, he then went off to phone Renault who told him not to do it. I then phoned RUK to ask why i was being messed around to be told the mechanic was correct and disabling "safety features" was against their best practice :thumbdown:

@Antti O.
The method i described in this topic is not bodging safety features or disabling them. The airbags will still fire in an impact, and the seatbelt warning still occurs if your not plugged in. The only thing it does is prevent the "anti-submaring" airbags from firing if you drive your car into a lake but the Recaros do not need this feature "aparently" due to the way they hold you firm in the upright seating position anyway!